APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Animating layers inside imported Photoshop file--timing/markers?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Vining
Animating layers inside imported Photoshop file--timing/markers?
on Jan 10, 2018 at 4:06:32 pm

I'm trying to manipulate some layers inside an imported Photoshop file in FCPX, but the problem I'm having is once inside the Photoshop compound clip, I can't see what is going on in the outside world in order to sync up what I want to do to the layers with the audio/timing of the video. In Old FCP I would add some Markers to the compound clip, and then could see those markers when I opened up the compound clip, so I could use those as guides to add transitions, moves, etc., but it doesn't seem like you can see markers added to a compound clip once you are inside it, or am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
Re: Animating layers inside imported Photoshop file--timing/markers?
on Jan 10, 2018 at 6:10:16 pm

Not worth the effort in my opinion. Add each layer as a connected clip, do your animation and then compound it if you want or just leave as-is. I have had problems with PSD files in FCPX and don't use them any more.

Return to posts index

Tim Vining
on Jan 11, 2018 at 4:33:49 pm

Okay, thanks. Do you know if there's a way to import the layers so they come in as separate clips and/or a simple way to break apart the Photoshop file into clips? It seems like you need to copy/past the get them out.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jan 11, 2018 at 5:00:14 pm

In Photoshop CC2018, choose FIle-->Export-->Layers to Files. Set up your options as you want (I recommend exporting as PNG-24 with transparency, untick the Trim option).

This will export each layer in your Photoshop file as a png. Import all those into FCPX and stack them up.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Tim Vining
on Jan 11, 2018 at 7:22:50 pm

Great--thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]