APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

FCP 10.4 crashing with XDCAM sd cards

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Slocombe
FCP 10.4 crashing with XDCAM sd cards
on Dec 21, 2017 at 8:16:21 pm

If I open FCP x 10.4 while an XDCAM SD card is inserted in iMac, FCP crashes.
Same if I insert the card when FCP already open.
Same on 2 iMacs, both High Sierra, both 10.4.
Copied card to external HD, import from there = same crash
Dragging the xdcam mp4 from card to Import Media = a green import.
Tried in iMovie = same green import.
Anyone else got this? Any suggestions to import XDCAM?

Mark Slocombe
http://www.creationvideo.com
London, England

Return to posts index

Graham Read
Re: FCP 10.4 crashing with XDCAM sd cards
on Jan 2, 2018 at 4:13:49 pm

Hi Mark,
Yes, I've discovered this too. I'm a long time FCPx user and FCP 7 before that.
I first had problems with 10.4 on Sierra whereby the import browser was not seeing all the clips on the SXS card. I was in the habit of using XDCAM Browser software from Sony to merge spanned clips rather than the camera archive method that Apple suggest and had been doing this for years.
The way FCPx 10.4 interprets not only spanned clips but also the forced splitting of clips into 4GB or less due to the FAT32 format of XDCAM EX cards is broken.
As I have been using this for years I was in the habit of also installing the Sony XDCAM plugin.
I was keen to try a clean install of High Sierra and on checking the support site, it suggested that the plugin was only required for 10.2 and older versions of FCPx so I have not installed the plugin on my new clean build but curious if it would solve the problem.
I'm going to file another bug report with Apple - there are not too many people shouting about this problem which is odd.
I was hoping that a clean install would solve my first problem of not interpreting the SXS card files correctly in 10.4 on Sierra, but sadly not the case - it's worse with a total crash out.
Fortunately I've got my Sierra system still running and I can import onto a library there and take the drive with me and it then works on my MBP with High Sierra.
Any thoughts on the necessity of the Sony XDCAM Plugin?

Return to posts index

Eric Conley
on Jan 12, 2018 at 11:07:58 pm

Graham,
We don't have the crashing issue, but we do have the missing clips and spanning issue. Just this week we have started noticing that some clips randomly don't appear in the import window. Not every card, but there is no pattern to it as well. Spanned clips in the import window now show up as 2 or 3 clips with 01, 02, 03 at the end. If I use the XDcam browser not only do I see the missing clips but the spanned clip-not clips. Is this a 10.4 bug? I am on Sierra using MacBook Pro's, MacPro's and a SAN. All of our machines are acting the same way. Any solutions out there?

Return to posts index

Nathan Maskey
on Jan 4, 2018 at 1:57:35 pm

Hi, completely new on here but felt i should leave a message to say i am experiencing exactly the same thing. Don't usually use Sony ex 3's but just did a multi camera live switch job using them. Every time I try and launch fcp 10.4 it crashes, if I have an xdcam sd card already plugged in or if I plug one in whilst fcp 10.4 is already running. I have no prior knowledge to using xdcam with fcp prior to 10.4 so I can't be of much help there, just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I was able to get around this issue as we always record individual camera feeds back at the switcher via hyper deck minis, but also record internally on whatever camera's we are using. On this occasion I was very glad I did. Hope someone finds a solution.

Return to posts index

Mark Slocombe
on Jan 10, 2018 at 2:04:45 pm

Update from me: have been away from office since original post, but today filmed some XDCAM, popped the SD card into iMac with FCPX 10.4 (no update) open... and no crash. Media imported / transcoded ok to FCP X too.. I have no explanation but thought I'd share.

Mark Slocombe
http://www.creationvideo.com
London, England

Return to posts index

Dan Svoboda
on Jan 11, 2018 at 7:39:23 pm

Yes I am experiencing this issue too. I ended up being able to import the cards after several crashes, however the files were not spanned correctly. Very odd behavior, I tried on an old 10.1 system with no issues.

Return to posts index

Jim Antera Ross
on Jan 18, 2018 at 4:10:00 am

Throwing this out there, hoping it helps:
iMac 27" Late 2015
FCP X 10.4
OS X 10.13.2

I have the same problem -- with the SD Card with my XDCAM files plugged in, FCP X 10.4 closes within a few seconds. FCP X works fine without the SD Card plugged in.

Sony Catalyst Browse 2017.3.0.192 accesses my XDCAM files (from a Sony EX1R camera) on the SD Card without problems.

With SD card plugged in, try opening FCP X 10.4.
Error message :

Crashed Thread: 2 Dispatch queue: com.apple.proapps.xdcam.radplugin.requestqueue

Pro Video Formats v2.0.6, installed with FCP X 10.4
"Pro Video Formats includes support for...
Apple Intermediate Codec
Apple ProRes
XDCAM EX / HD / HD422"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]