APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Weird Glitchy Area on my Footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Neuman
Weird Glitchy Area on my Footage
on Dec 19, 2017 at 8:34:21 pm

I edit on Final Cut (I just did the update to 10.4 a few days ago) and I noticed there's this weird glitchy area (it almost looks like the old VCR effect) at the top of some of the footage I took. I never experienced this before and I wonder if it has something to do with the new update? The footage looks fine when I play it back on my camera, in Premiere, and from just the file itself on my computer. Luckily I covered some of the messed up footage with b-roll but I have no clue what the problem is. Does it have something to do maybe with the SD card (Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB) I use possibly being messed up? I shoot on a Canon XA10 and edit on a 2015 Macbook Pro, any help would be great thank you.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
Re: Weird Glitchy Area on my Footage
on Dec 20, 2017 at 2:20:19 pm

I doubt it's the SD card. Can you screenshot the glitch? Might be GPU related.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Music Videos 24/7

Return to posts index

Ryan Neuman
on Dec 20, 2017 at 6:29:35 pm

For some reason it's not letting me upload a screenshot of it but here's an unlisted link:

the glitch happens around the 10 second mark, it did that in multiple other clips too

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 22, 2017 at 5:48:23 pm

I've seen this using gopro type footage in FCP 7 when I imported the footage directly and didn't first convert it to prores 422 in mpeg Streamclip. Looks like the same kind of "tearing" you experienced in this shot.

I guess I'd try a re-render first, then try to re-transcode the footage and import it back over the original shot.

Return to posts index

Ryan Neuman
on Dec 22, 2017 at 6:57:01 pm

Yea I usually import right into Final Cut directly from the SD card so I imported to my desktop first this time and just dragged it into the timeline and that did the trick! Thank you everyone.

Return to posts index

Paul Binks
on Jan 1, 2018 at 4:47:28 am

When you say you imported it to desktop did you just copy the file from the card to desktop?

Return to posts index

Paul Binks
on Jan 1, 2018 at 5:36:09 am

Sorry didn't mean to seem abrupt. I have the same issues with the same camera and have spent the last four days trying all different ways to try and work around it but have had no success. So I was happy to know it's not just me or that my camera was on the way out.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jan 1, 2018 at 7:03:30 pm

Hello.
Do you mean you copied the .mts files to your desktop and then dragged it onto the timeline? It did not work for me.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jan 1, 2018 at 6:59:49 pm

Hello. I am experiencing the very same problem with a Canon HF G10 camera. After I saw that "drops" on the upper part of the footage the first time, I blamed the card. So I tried taking more test footage with three different cards, and they all showed the glitch on the upper area, and sometimes on the lower area as well. I tried to look at the footage direct from the camera, and it was playing just fine. I was about to send the cam in for a check, but it seems the problems is somewhere else.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Paul Binks
on Jan 2, 2018 at 3:47:36 am

My guess is that its has something to do with the lastest final cut update. I have imported footage from a Canon XF100 with no problems. Just the xa10 has given me problems.

Return to posts index

Ryan Neuman
on Jan 2, 2018 at 7:03:36 pm

I'm not sure if I have my card formatted correctly but what I did was put the SD Card into my computer, opened it up, opened the "PRIVATE" folder, clicked the AVCHD icon, selected the clip I needed and from the Quicktime player I hit file-save-saved to desktop, once it was on the desktop I just dragged it onto my timeline in Final Cut and the glitchy area went away.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 2, 2018 at 7:10:18 pm

That to me implies that it's an issue with trying to read directly off the cards, if you can transfer the file to the desktop and then import it and no longer see the issue.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jan 2, 2018 at 10:28:58 pm

It looks to me like it's something a bit different. If you import into FCPX using "Import Media", the glitch will show either if you import straight from the card or from the copy. If you just drag the .mts clip from the place you placed it onto the timeline, it will lag and slow down a lot, but look much better. I don't know exactly what happens inside FCPX, but maybe if you use "Import Media" it will transcode the media, introducing the artifacts (in facts, it will show as a .mov file), while if you drag it it won't transcode. Just a guess.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Paul Binks
on Jan 3, 2018 at 2:19:30 am

I tried going via quicktime as suggested and it does get rid of some of the pixelation but doesn't totally get rid of it. It's a real pain but will keep trying different things

Return to posts index

Richard Ivey
on Jan 3, 2018 at 4:07:23 pm

[Fabrizio D'Agnano] "It looks to me like it's something a bit different. If you import into FCPX using "Import Media", the glitch will show either if you import straight from the card or from the copy. If you just drag the .mts clip from the place you placed it onto the timeline, it will lag and slow down a lot, but look much better. I don't know exactly what happens inside FCPX, but maybe if you use "Import Media" it will transcode the media, introducing the artifacts (in facts, it will show as a .mov file), while if you drag it it won't transcode. Just a guess.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
"

Thanks for this suggestion Fabrizio - this is the thing that finally worked for me on my 27-inch, Late 2012 iMac!

To expand on Fabrizio's method: Drag the .mts files that make up your raw video from the STREAM folder (YourSDcard>PRIVATE>AVCHD>BDMV>STREAM) directly into the Browser. To open the AVCHD & BDMV folder you have to Control-Click and choose "Show Package Contents."

It takes a while to import and I get the Message "Validating File" for a long time, but it does finally load and then process. After trying this with several .mts files I didn't have any glitches in my video like before when I imported from the "Import" options within the app. So far so good at least.

I'm sure this is a bug from the new version of FCX - I never had it happen with hundreds of imports from SD cards until after this update. It's a frustrating glitch and hopefully they will fix it soon. It seems that all of the problems are coming from Canon users like me. I have a 2010 Mac Pro running High Sierra and FCX.4 and the problem doesn't occur there.

Thanks for the original post and all of the replies.

Rich
Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jan 3, 2018 at 4:50:10 pm

I definitely sounds like FCPX is adding the glitches during its conversion process.

FCPX doesn't natively support AVCHD files, so by importing them directly from the AVCHD card structure it's doing a conversion to ProRes in the background. There's no way to avoid this if you keep the AVCHD package structure in place. That's why, when you pull the .mts files from the card structure and directly import those, you don't see the glitches. It's the raw file.

Do you have EditReady? If you do, rewrap your footage to .mov, so you can directly import it into FCPX without a transcode, and without having to dive into your package contents. See if the issue is still there. If you don't have it, there's a trial you can download so you can run some tests. You could also use EditReady to transcode your footage to ProRes to see if it's just the conversion to ProRes in general that's causing the issue, or FCPX's conversion in the program.

https://www.divergentmedia.com/editready

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jan 4, 2018 at 9:33:33 am

[Michael Hancock] "You could also use EditReady to transcode your footage to ProRes to see if it's just the conversion to ProRes in general that's causing the issue, or FCPX's conversion in the program.
"

Thank you Michael. I'll try EditReady this morning.
However, I do not think is a problem with ProRes in general, but just FCPX latest version conversion. It's now several years I'm using those Canon camcorders, and I never had a problem importing the clips from FCPX and having them automatically transcoded until the latest upgrade.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jan 4, 2018 at 2:10:48 pm

[Fabrizio D'Agnano] "However, I do not think is a problem with ProRes in general, but just FCPX latest version conversion. "

I think you're probably right too. Hopefully testing it with EditReady will let you know for sure if it's FCPX doing the conversion that's introducing the glitches, or something else.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jan 4, 2018 at 8:51:43 pm

I found I had a forgotten licensed copy of ClipWrap and tried to transcode the .mts files to Pro Res. I did it and relinked the files from the browser (I had already used the .mts files in an edit and did not like the idea to start it all over). It seems everything is playing fine, with no glitches or pixelation and not laggy and slow as with the .mts. I didn't have time to check it thoroughly, frame by frame, but I'm almost positive it's ok, and the problem is in FCPX 10.4. It's still a pain, and I hope they fix it very soon, but at least I don't have to toss the old Canon's in the can like I was about to do, and I have usable footage from the B rolls of the latest two sessions that I was afraid I'd lost... Wounded is still better than dead ☺

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jan 4, 2018 at 9:01:24 pm

Great news! And don't forget to file a bug report with Apple!

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Paul Binks
on Jan 4, 2018 at 12:09:14 pm

I have tried to drag the mts file into final cut but it won't allow me to do it, it just seems to reject the file.

Return to posts index

Richard Ivey
on Jan 4, 2018 at 7:24:29 pm

What is your process for dropping the files into FCX? Are you pulling them from the Stream folder into the browser area?

Return to posts index

Paul Binks
on Jan 5, 2018 at 12:19:07 am

Yes I am dragging them out of the stream folder, but no matter where I try to place them fcp won't accept them

Return to posts index

Paul Binks
on Jan 5, 2018 at 9:15:44 am

I have successfully transfered three mts files but that is it, every time I try now fcp crashes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]