APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Cartoon effect question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Martin
Cartoon effect question
on Dec 7, 2017 at 8:41:01 pm
Last Edited By Darren Martin on Dec 7, 2017 at 9:54:33 pm

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows how to achieve a cartoon effect like this, is this rotoscoping and does it involve a lot of time drawing each keyframe or is there a paid plugin that would achieve something similar. It will be for a music clip and i need to give them a price, i know bands don't have much money so the cost of me drawing each frame is going to blow the budget out.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Cartoon effect question
on Dec 7, 2017 at 10:48:55 pm

I'd say the only way to get an effect as clean as that is to rotoscope. Any plugins I've tried to produce that effect tend to be a bit hit and miss and just look like a badly posterised photo. The cartoon plugin in Resolve is actually pretty good and might get you close - or you might look at some cartoon/comic book actions for Photoshop (which people often forget can process video as well). But even with a plugin to automate it there would be a lot of clean up work to get it to the level of that sample video so it's still not going to be cheap.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Cartoon effect question
on Dec 8, 2017 at 8:50:59 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Dec 8, 2017 at 8:57:23 pm

My take on this is, it's a multi-step process, but doesn't necessarily require roto. A lot of time color grading, but not really "roto" in the Ralph Bakshi sense.

If the talent wears chroma blue and chroma green, that can help, but what I see here are two main effects; the final one is a posterization or solarization effect with the bit depth turned way down. But before I would apply that, the raw video needs to be simplified, that's where the keying comes in. It reduces greatly the need for roto if you have a keyable background, and clothing that is a different color than the background yet also keyable. And some of that, you can change around by first doing some passes thru color re-timing, to reduce the overall number of color shades and enhance the contrast. Then you posterize the final comp. Tri-tone effect might also help. Bret FX, Motion VFX, and a few others have plug-ins to get there faster, but you certainly could make these FX from "scratch" as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]