APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Moving project from FCPX to Premiere

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Garver
Moving project from FCPX to Premiere
on Dec 2, 2017 at 11:10:11 pm

Hello -- I have the latest 12.0 version of Premiere Pro, and the early 2016 version of FCPX, 10.2.3.

I cut a full-length film on FCPX, and I want to move the entire project to Premiere Pro. I am working on an early 2014 iMac with a decent processor and graphics card, and loaded with 32 GB RAM.

From the little I've learned so far, there may be two ways to go ---

1 -- through DaVinci Resolve, importing the FCPXML file, and exporting an XML from Da Vinci, and then into Premiere, or

2 -- using the XtoCC app to do the same. I realize there will be a lot of work to do once I get it -- with recreating effects and transitions, and possibly titles, which apparently don't translate between FCPX and Premiere currently.

It is all being done on the same system, so media should automatically link up.

If anyone who has done this can give me any help, in terms of the best way to go, and things to avoid, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much. best, Rob

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Moving project from FCPX to Premiere
on Dec 3, 2017 at 12:28:23 am
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Dec 3, 2017 at 12:31:07 am

Why are you moving the project to Premiere? Why not finish in X? (Not to challenge the decision, but just for more background to figure out the next answer.)

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 3, 2017 at 1:53:32 am
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Dec 3, 2017 at 3:35:27 am

The two methods you mention are the only ways I can think of without manually reimporting everything and then over-cutting a brand new Premiere timeline to match a finished FCPX output. That's certainly the cleanest way but a ton more busy work.

Is there a super compelling reason why you don't just finish the project in FCPX and start your next project fresh in Premiere? Both are equally capable of delivering an identical finished project.

If you can say it's a must- I'd say be prepared for at least a few days if not more of kinda boring frustrating work doing the reconnection. Ie media won't likely 'automatically link up' without some degree of manual intervention. And FCPX specific attributes like Color Board color grading will be lost in translation. Personally I'd go the XtoCC route. Then at least it's only two application chainsaws to juggle instead of 3.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Rob Garver
on Dec 3, 2017 at 2:22:14 pm

Thanks, I realize it will be work to do this successfully, but we have reasons that are specific to our project, including that, from what I've learned, the online process will be easier in Premiere than in FCPX for the post house.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 3, 2017 at 4:45:12 pm

[Rob Garver] "but we have reasons that are specific to our project, ...
the online process will be easier in Premiere than in FCPX for the post house."

As with many things, the answer is "it depends". A translated project from X to PPro to online may not be as clean as direct from PPro to online. When you say ' online', what are you talking about? Are they taking the project into Resolve to finish there? If so, you would be better off going from X to Resolve, making your adjustments there, and then handing that over to the online post house.

But going back to the original question, no effects or fancy transitions will translate. Only projects (sequences) will translate, not the entire library. Many of the X features, like compounds, are problematic. Some things, like speed changes will need to be rebuilt. My suggestion would be to snapshot your hero project. Remove all effects. Break apart all compounds. Then use XtoCC to bring it to Premiere.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Rob Garver
on Dec 4, 2017 at 12:51:50 am

Appreciate that, Oliver. We have an editor who wants to cut in Premiere. The snapshot minus effects and compounds may be the way to go. I think the latest XtoCC will handle Events as well as Projects.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 4, 2017 at 1:28:11 pm

It does between it and FCP 7 so I assume to Premiere as well. I think they first added that a couple years ago. But don’t expect miracles.

Outliner http://bretfx.com/product/outliner/
Clock Maker http://bretfx.com/product/bretfx-clock-maker/

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 6, 2017 at 1:23:45 am

That post house might need to bone up on FCX to (insert online editing app here). I've onlined and delivered over 13 FCX projects in Resolve and we've gotten it down to a science. Rocky at first, but now we know what to export, how to prep before export, and what things we need to do to cover our butts.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]