APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Can I customize media location when importing camera archives vs rewrapped media?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Lee
Can I customize media location when importing camera archives vs rewrapped media?
on Nov 30, 2017 at 4:06:07 pm
Last Edited By Sam Lee on Nov 30, 2017 at 4:09:13 pm

I have thousands of hours on AVC-I 100, AVC-I 200. Pretty much all of P2 HD & AVC Ultra family of codecs. Everything has been great when the AVC-I 100 media is rewrapped as a .MOV using its native AVC-I 100 or transcoded to Pro Res 422. However, I noticed whenever I import the original P2 media directly in FCP X, it would copy all of it to the library instead of the custom location. This makes it very hard to collaborate between countries when the library is large. The latest Varicam HS, 35 & LT writes very useful camera metadata to the P2 media. Virtually all of the ND filter #, color temp, WB temp, shutter speed, gamma & other setttings used during the shoot are fully preserved! This is a compelling reason why I like to work with the native P2 vs rewrapping /& transcode to Pro Res ####. Rewrapping it pretty much discard all of these useful. Is it possible to retain the ability to specify the media location in FCP X when importing non rewrapped .MOV files from the Varicam HS/35/LT cams?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Can I customize media location when importing camera archives vs rewrapped media?
on Nov 30, 2017 at 7:45:24 pm

Yes.

Click on the library in the Browser.

Open the inspector.

Click on the Storage Locations "Modify Settings" button, and choose a location.

This will direct any imported media that is not left in place to the chosen location.

You can also consolidate any media that's in the library, to that new location as well.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
Re: Can I customize media location when importing camera archives vs rewrapped media?
on Dec 4, 2017 at 7:41:56 am

Thanks for the tip. Will experiment with this in great details before can deploy it in bulk.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]