APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

What do you think? Rolling back to Sierra.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Morache
What do you think? Rolling back to Sierra.
on Nov 12, 2017 at 7:08:17 pm

I just spent the weekend doing a clean install of High Sierra and reinstalling all my apps. I'm still having difficulty with FCPX slowing the system to a crawl and I'm considering rolling back to Sierra.

Anyone know.... if I do a clean install of Sierra, can I use Migration Assistant to roll backwards from my High Sierra backup to a clean Sierra?

What do you think?

It's my fault for installing HS in the first place, but the sluggishness is physically painful.

-Mark

---------

Mark Morache
Evening Magazine, Seattle, WA

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: What do you think? Rolling back to Sierra.
on Nov 12, 2017 at 8:56:41 pm

Did your HS install reformat and SSDs on your system?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Nov 13, 2017 at 7:48:16 am

High Sierra reformatted my boot drive, but I did not reformat any of my external drives.

I do the majority of my editing with a small 1tb SSD drive in a USB3 case. It's been uber fast and I have had no complaints.

๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€ For what it's worth.... you can't use Migration Assistant to go backwards. The Sierra assistant would not take any of my data from the High Sierra time machine. It recognized that I was trying to pull from a later OS but wouldn't bite, so it's been a day of manually installing everything on my computer.

The good news is that my timeline is running smooth as butter. No fans. No choking. No seizing up.

Many people don't seem to be having any trouble with High Sierra, but I think it was deadly for me.

I'm running on a Late 2013 Retina MBP, maxed out with quad 2.6 intel i7, 16gb of memory.

I imagine the new FCP will run on the new OS. I also gotta wonder about the fact that they haven't released it yet. Hopefully they won't release it until it's completely ready. Meanwhile I'm sticking with Sierra.

---------

Mark Morache

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Nov 12, 2017 at 8:56:54 pm

I ave the same issue with in of my older iMacs. The whole thing has just ended up too slow to use. On the other hand, my 2013 Mac Pro and even my little MacBook Air are running High Sierra and FCPX just fine.

If youโ€™re going to roll back, Iโ€™d do another clean install. I think bringing back anything other than data from a system that isnโ€™t working is asking for trouble.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Nov 12, 2017 at 10:06:48 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Final Cut has been weird lately. It doesn't take much working in the timeline before things start getting slow. Sometimes just a few minutes of animating a title over a mask I made in photoshop over a still, and things start grinding to a halt. The entire system gets slow. I can't even swap desktops without seeing the system hiccup and stutter.

Even once the clips are rendered, final cut will NOT play smoothly. I've even noticed that when I try a render and the progress indicator is barely moving, that simply rebooting the computer, and final cut is back to rendering quickly.

I don't completely understand the inner workings of the computer, but obviously there are some threads or processes that are getting bound up making the whole system practically inoperable.

This was after doing a clean instal of High Sierra, manually installing all of my software and plugins. (Not a fun task)

That's why I wanted to use Migration Assistant, rather than reinstalling all my plugins.

I think I'm going to try it anyway. Worst case scenario is that I end up manually installing everything again.

And as you know, just like when you lose an edit, it's always faster the second time you do something.

-Mark

---------

Mark Morache

Return to posts index

Brandon Emsworth
on Nov 12, 2017 at 10:56:54 pm

Roll back to Sierra? I didn't know there was anything else after Sierra. Absolutely you should go back to Sierra, or El Capitan, or even Yosemite or Mavericks and so forth if the new system is giving you problems. Lots of people never even got a chance to use any of these previous operating systems, or they jumped from say Mountain Lion to El Capitan or Sierra. If any of the newer systems are giving you too much trouble or you simply don't like it, just go back to a previous one. You are not bound nor obligated to use only the latest operating systems and programs just because they say so and come out with them. You use the operating system and programs you feel most comfortable with. Many people also cannot afford to upgrade to later systems and programs, but they still want to use them and can only go with the best they can do. The same happened when they came out with Windows 8. So many people hated it and rolled back to Windows 7. Even now with Windows 10, many have rolled back to 8 or 7 for similar reasons. When Final Cut Pro X first came out, so many people disliked it, and they rolled back to FCP 7, which many are still using today and is now a unique design of its own. So, yes, by all means, roll back to Sierra if that works best for you or any other previous operating system that works best for you or anyone else. Best of luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]