APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Canon 5D Mark4 - 4K Video Issue in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hakan Tanak
Canon 5D Mark4 - 4K Video Issue in FCPX
on Jul 14, 2017 at 8:49:07 am

Hi guys.
I have Canon 5D mark 4 and it can shoot 4K videos in MJPEG format. When i tried to edit this videos in FCPX video seems laggy and not smooth. I think it's about for MJPEG format because it's normal in the camera screen. And 1080P ALL-I & IPB videos are seems normal and ok too. Do you have any suggestions to solve for this issue ? By the way thats problem not just happen in FCPX it is the same in Prewiew, Quick time and etc. players

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Canon 5D Mark4 - 4K Video Issue in FCPX
on Jul 15, 2017 at 12:07:58 am

Optimise the media or work with proxies.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Hakan Tanak
on Jul 17, 2017 at 7:49:05 am

Thank you

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Jul 15, 2017 at 12:34:28 pm

[Hakan Tanak] "I have Canon 5D mark 4 and it can shoot 4K videos in MJPEG format. When i tried to edit this videos in FCPX video seems laggy and not smooth. I think it's about for MJPEG format because it's normal in the camera screen."

As Jeff said, this is likely due to the inefficient 500 mbps MJPEG codec that Canon uses for 4k on the 5D Mark IV. Normally when you use a high bitrate intra-frame codec, you have the hope of editing that directly without transcoding. E.g, I can edit 300 mbps 4k H264 intra-frame material from the Canon XC15 on my iMac in FCPX without transcoding -- it is very fast.

If you can't edit the native 500 mbps codec, that unfortunately seems the worst of both worlds -- you pay the price for a high bit rate yet still must transcode to proxy for editing.

However it's conceivable that you're facing an I/O problem due to the high bit rate, not a CPU problem. If you examine your CPU state when editing that 5D4 material and they are low, then a faster bandwidth disk might help, or SSD. But if they are high it's a CPU limitation and the only solution is proxy.

The benefit of proxy is you can try it right now without buying anything, but it will take time and disk space to create. I'd definitely suggest trying proxy not optimized media. Optimized media would further aggravate the space consumption problem of that MJPEG codec.

Return to posts index

Hakan Tanak
on Jul 17, 2017 at 7:50:41 am

Yeah. The best way is proxy. Because i have already had ssd disk. and 16 gb ram.
Thank you dude.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 17, 2017 at 1:15:12 pm

[Joe Marler] "s Jeff said, this is likely due to the inefficient 500 mbps MJPEG codec that Canon uses for 4k on the 5D Mark IV. "

Actually, the MJPEG codec is quite efficient as far as CPU decoding power. It's roughly the equivalent of ProRes 422 (ProRes is based on MotionJPEG). However, it's still 4K and thus requires more horsepower to decode than 1080.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Jul 18, 2017 at 10:33:10 am

[Gary Huff] "Actually, the MJPEG codec is quite efficient as far as CPU decoding power. "

By "inefficient" I meant the normal use of the term in codec technology. E.g, the "HE" in HEVC means "High Efficiency". This means coding efficiency, not computational complexity. MJPEG is invariably described in the industry as "inefficient".

However the term as I used it could be misleading. The difficulty the OP stated was more likely due to an I/O limitation than a CPU limitation. The low coding efficiency may have increased the I/O rate such that performance lagged.

In my tests of 500 megabit/sec 4k MJPEG material from a Canon 5D4, the playback CPU levels are lower than 300 megabit/sec 4k H264 intra material from a Canon XC15. However the 5D4 MJPEG content required an average of about 60 megabytes/sec just to play at 1x, whereas the 4k H264 intra content only required about 40 megabytes/sec.

Both of those 4k codecs can be smoothly edited in FCPX on a 2015 iMac 27 without using proxy -- given a good disk subsystem. They are vastly smoother than typical 4k H264 long GOP interframe material.

So if he cannot smoothly edit the 5D4 500 megabit/sec MJPEG material, he either needs to upgrade his computer, his hard drive, or transcode to proxy.

Even though the 5D4 has been slammed for using the MJPEG codec, it is actually roughly equivalent in coding efficiency and quality at a given bit rate vs H264 intra, and even better in some cases. I think what people really wanted was an interframe option which would lower the bit rate yet preserve a lot of the image quality for many scene types. But in the OP's case that would likely have not changed his situation, as it would have then lagged from inadequate CPU instead of inadequate I/O. In either case he'd probably have to transcode to proxy.

See below paper "Performance evaluation of Motion-JPEG2000 in comparison with H.264/AVC operated in pure intra coding mode" (Marpe, et al, 2004):

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/c536/1ffbae7992e26a934682ca4892d066005cc2....

Return to posts index

Sunderland Green
on Aug 22, 2017 at 9:34:31 am

Although Motion JPEG codec is inclued in FCP X supported input file formats and it is frequently used in non-linear video editing system. However, there is one bit trade off to edit Motion JPEG directly with FCP X. The main reason is that when each video frame is compressed separately as a separate JPEG image, the file size will be very huge, often twice as large as other compression video formats. This is because the format has a relatively huge bit-rate, but no compression outside of the JPEG standard. This uncompressed 4K Motion JPEG MOV format helps to deliver high image quality, however, the high-bandwidth, RAID-storage requirements of uncompressed 4K video are daunting for most users' budgets.

To get high quality and high performance post workflow, it is ideal for you to encode Canon 5D Mark IV 4K Motion JPEG MOV as Apple Prores codec, which main the highest quality and performance while requiring much less expensive editing and storage hardware (compared to uncompressed video)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]