APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

simplify the browser filter results to favorites lines only ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Fya
simplify the browser filter results to favorites lines only ?
on Jul 8, 2017 at 10:09:11 am

Hello there,

Does anybody know if if it is somehow possible to simplify the browser filter results to favorites lines only (i.e. starred lines only)?
I want to rename the favorites to a transcript of the dialog and then filter to favorites only (i.e. starred lines only) to browse through my clips. Problem is that when I filter to favorites only (top right menu), the lines appearing for each favorite are : clip name, favorites (i.e. starred lines), and keywords. That means a lot of unnecessary lines (clip name and keywords). I want only to display the dialog description (highlighted lines in the picture, really ONLY the favorites, aka starred lines). Is that possible somehow ?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: simplify the browser filter results to favorites lines only ?
on Jul 8, 2017 at 7:46:35 pm

Control-f shows favorites.

Return to posts index

Ron Fya
on Jul 9, 2017 at 8:43:05 pm

You didn't read my post correctly ;-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 10, 2017 at 4:12:22 pm

[Ron Fya] "You didn't read my post correctly ;-)"

You are right, I didn't.

As you discovered, In list view, it shows all clip names, keywords, and filters, like favorites. Unfortunately there's no way to change this.

I would also recommend not using favorites for important information, just because it's pretty easy to delete or add to a favorite, and all that work would be gone with a keystroke.

I would suggest using a keyword like "Transcript" and then keyword ranges that you want to transcribe with that "Transcript" keyword, and then put the transcribed text in the Notes column for the keyword range. Then you can twirl down the clip in list view, and essentially read the transcript from top to bottom less UI stuff in the way.

Return to posts index

Ron Fya
on Jul 10, 2017 at 10:37:04 pm

Thank you Jeremy for the suggestion.
Like you said, in the end I indeed use the "all clips" view while twirling open the disclosure triangles to read the transcripts that way since it uses less lines this way. It's weird that for this special use case, the favorites filter is so counter-productive but still ...

On the other hand, I also like your suggestion to write the transpcripts in the notes instead of the favorite's name so that you can then also favorite your favorites parts of the transcript.

But what you still cannot do is to filter to ONLY lines having a certain keyword, or favorites ... losing sometimes precious real estate to a very high degree. That's unfortunate.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 11, 2017 at 12:32:54 am

You can search for a particular word, and every instance will be shown in the Browser. Select all and hit right arrow, they all twirl open. When the transcript is in notes, it's fairly easy to see as long as your transcripts aren't too long in the notes column.

I agree through, this could be better. R

Return to posts index

brianlaz
on Sep 13, 2017 at 5:23:34 pm

I'm just adding myself as a big plus one to this problem. I assumed favorites would act like sub-clips--you could have them in one place and look through them like they were clips. Can't believe you have to keep the other unnecessary info in the view at all times, and they are always visually attached to the original clips.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Sep 14, 2017 at 1:00:22 am

[brianlaz] " I assumed favorites would act like sub-clips--you could have them in one place and look through them like they were clips."

I think that was Apple's idea, but they're more limited than subclips. With subclips you could subclip just the audio, the video, video and specific audio channels, and subclips could have overlapping media. With favorites, the video/audio selection always follows the master clip, and if two favorites overlap they become one large favorite. Very limiting, compared to subclips.

Submit a feature request to Apple about how you'd like to filter favorites only, independent of the master clip.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]