APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Can I transfer metadata from one Library to another without duplicating footage?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Hancock
Can I transfer metadata from one Library to another without duplicating footage?
on May 19, 2017 at 6:21:28 pm

SCENARIO:
Another editor and I have all the footage from a shoot on two separate computers, with identical FCPX libraries.

QUESTION:
If I add metadata to EventA (notes, scene info, favorites, etc...), can I transfer and merge that with EventA on the other editor's system, without having duplicate clips added to their event? I used to do this all the time with Avid via ALE and am looking to replicate that workflow, somehow, with FCPX.

So, can this be done? If so, how?

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: Can I transfer metadata from one Library to another without duplicating footage?
on May 19, 2017 at 8:36:24 pm

[Michael Hancock] "If I add metadata to EventA (notes, scene info, favorites, etc...), can I transfer and merge that with EventA on the other editor's system, without having duplicate clips added to their event? "

Yes this can be done by exporting the event XML then importing it on the destination machine. Select the event, then do File>Export XML. On the destination machine, do File>Import>XML. At import time it will give you the option to overwrite the existing metadata or create duplicate clips. There is no intra-clip overlay-type metadata merge. It either uses the source machine's metadata or it makes duplicate clips, preserving both original and new metadata. See https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12654?locale=en_US

You should definitely make a backup copy of the library before doing this.

Even if it seems to work, give the library a close look and verify several clips work correctly, the metadata works as expected and the clips are in the correct event. If you have other events, check that those were not changed. You don't want to load the XML, believe it's OK, then commit lots of work only to find out something went wrong that you didn't spot.

Return to posts index

Francois Jean
Re: Can I transfer metadata from one Library to another without duplicating footage?
on May 19, 2017 at 10:42:33 pm

You might be interested in using this software: MergeX made for that

http://www.merge.software

FRANCOIS

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on May 20, 2017 at 2:02:23 pm

Thanks Joe and Francois.

Joe - I'll do some testing based on your post to see where things can go wrong and if exporting/importing and replacing events will work.

Francois - MergeX looks really interesting indeed! Is this your software, or are you using it? I've emailed them to see if they have a demo available for testing, prior to purchase, but for $50 it might be worth just buying it. If you're using it, have you run into any issues or limitations? Any bugs you've found?

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]