APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Can FCP create actual stills instead of the freeze frame mode?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonny Cates
Can FCP create actual stills instead of the freeze frame mode?
on Jan 1, 2017 at 7:17:03 pm

I need to create a bunch of HD stills (jpg or png) from the same video project that I need to create a slide show for.
If I go through the whole project and use freeze frame to capture what still images I need, I then have to run all those same freeze frames through GraphicConverter to convert them to jpgs or png files...so I can manipulate them with movement.

Is there a more simpler--more direct way to achieve this from within FCPX?

Thanks....

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: Can FCP create actual stills instead of the freeze frame mode?
on Jan 1, 2017 at 7:35:16 pm
Last Edited By Warren Eig on Jan 1, 2017 at 7:36:31 pm

Use export still image. You might have to add it to share pref pane as I think it is not a choice by default.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Jonny Cates
on Jan 5, 2017 at 8:10:29 pm

Thanks Warren.....but I didn't have 'export still image' as you said, I only had export XML. Couldn't find in the preferences how to add that in the pane. I'm still coming off an old version of FCP 6 (with no real major issues) and it's been fairly easy to figure most things out. But kinda got stumped on this one...

What I ended up doing was writing a finished file of entire project. Using Quicktime Pro to view, you can 'drag n' drop' your choices of still images on the desktop. I then used GraphicConverter to batch/modify and convert them all to PNG files. Then import that folder into the FCPX project. Long way around perhaps, but I felt it gave me better control vs. FCPX freeze frame feature....because I had several hundred stills to make. The freeze frame feature kept putting the still image into the timeline, and I didn't want it there.

But now Im trying to find a way to change the default duration of the PNG still image. The default is 4 seconds, and I need a 2 second duration. You can change the freeze frame default duration in preferences, but that doesn't affect a PNG or JPG image. I don't want to change it in the time line because that will take forever due to the many images I have to deal with. I haven't been able to find a place to change that default.... Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Jan 5, 2017 at 8:49:49 pm

Use export using Quicktime conversion, then select still image not image sequence.

FCPX also has an export still image setting. It's not in the share menu by default. You have to add it. I know in DCP 7 you can set duration of still images. I'd image you can in FCPX too.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Jonny Cates
on Jan 6, 2017 at 7:20:22 pm

Thanks for you help Warren....found the answers I was looking for. Quicktime does it again....

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jan 5, 2017 at 11:22:14 pm

Its possible to alter the duration of a batch of stills in the timeline by selecting those stills in the time line index , then control- D - enter new duration- then hit return and you will change the duration of all selected stills.

Return to posts index

Jonny Cates
on Jan 6, 2017 at 7:13:05 pm

Mark....That helped a lot. I can set a duration on (1) still frame and it makes that the new default duration for all the rest of the images. Big help....

Thanks!

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jan 6, 2017 at 7:37:21 pm

For some time I underutilized the timeline index until I had to solve this problem on one of my own projects, and discovered just how useful the TL index can be.... I happy it helped you out.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 1, 2017 at 8:24:58 pm

Sounds possible within X. Freeze frames can be cropped/manipulated same as stills. Or a hold segment via retiming-
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12542?locale=en_US

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Jonny Cates
on Jan 5, 2017 at 8:17:45 pm

Thanks Noah.....

What I ended up doing was to write a finished MOV file of entire project. Using Quicktime Pro to view, you can 'drag n' drop' your still images in a folder on the desktop. I then used GraphicConverter to batch/modify and convert them all to PNG files. Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have hundreds to do. Now Im trying to find a way to change the default duration of the PNG still image from 4 seconds to two.
I haven't been able to find the place to change a still image default....you can change a freeze frame duration, but that has no affect. Suggestions are welcome for the next time I go through this.

Thanks!

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Keith Mullin
on Jan 6, 2017 at 2:09:13 pm

It's under "Share->current frame" you may have to add it as a share option, but from there you can set the type of image, TIFF, JPEG, PNG etc.

Return to posts index

Jonny Cates
on Jan 6, 2017 at 7:18:17 pm

Yep! There it is Keith....just when you think you've looked everywhere in the interface to find something, it will show up. Don't know why my searches in the manual couldn't find this.

Another big help...
Thanks!

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jan 6, 2017 at 2:12:09 pm

Can't you just "Save Current Frame" under the Share menu and go the the settings and select PNG?

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jan 6, 2017 at 9:12:49 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Can't you just "Save Current Frame" under the Share menu and go the the settings and select PNG?"

Indeed you can, but you have to add it to the Share menu in Preferences first.

Another handy tidbit in FCPX Preferences - right-click on your desired 'Share' method and set it as the default. Then you can simply use 'Cmd+E' to export your frames.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]