APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Does anyone have issues with FCPX 10.3 and Izotope RX5 Plugin Pack Demo?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Drobinski
Does anyone have issues with FCPX 10.3 and Izotope RX5 Plugin Pack Demo?
on Nov 18, 2016 at 9:25:27 am

Good morning from (slightly) snowy Sheffield UK!

I am running FCPX 10.3 with Sierra, and have downloaded a trial version of Izotope's RX5 Plugin Pack to see how it performs with de-clicking and noise reduction. (Very well, it seems).

However, while Izotope says the trial version is fully functional, when I apply the de-clicker to an audio clip in the timeline, it works but blanks the last one second of audio. No matter how long the clip is, it blanks the last one second.

I'd like to buy the plugin, but obviously not if it doesn't work properly with Sierra and FCPX 10.3 - has anyone else had this problem, or can anyone else reproduce it on a similar set up?

I've emailed Izotope several times, but they are slow to respond and, despite a couple of responses, have not actually answered my question yet!

Peter

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Does anyone have issues with FCPX 10.3 and Izotope RX5 Plugin Pack Demo?
on Nov 18, 2016 at 12:51:09 pm

It should be good for 10 days and then it mutes out every 40 seconds

https://www.izotope.com/en/support/knowledge-base/demo-trial-versions-and-s...

...Demo mode, the plug-in's output will mute briefly every 40 seconds. Aside from this periodic silence, there are no other limitations in Demo mode,...

Return to posts index

Peter Drobinski
on Nov 18, 2016 at 1:24:16 pm

Thanks Craig,

And that's the problem - it has unexpectedly muted the last second of each clip I apply it to right from the very start (i.e., during 10 day 'full demo' period).

Makes me wonder whether it's a feature of the demo when applied to FCPX 10.3 or whether the full version will do the same.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Nov 18, 2016 at 5:05:48 pm

[Peter Drobinski] "...or whether the full version will do the same."

I have the full purchased version, and I have not seen this issue here (though I have only used the Dialogue Denoiser so far).

Return to posts index

Peter Drobinski
on Nov 19, 2016 at 12:15:10 am

[James Culbertson] "[Peter Drobinski] "...or whether the full version will do the same."

I have the full purchased version, and I have not seen this issue here (though I have only used the Dialogue Denoiser so far)."

Thanks James. I found the denoiser didn't have the problem but the declicker did - are you running that with FCPX 10.3 and Sierra?

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Nov 18, 2016 at 9:29:29 pm

Is it possible you did a trial with a previous version? It might cause it to think your 10-day window is already over.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Peter Drobinski
on Nov 19, 2016 at 12:07:52 am

I don't think so - it was the first time I'd downloaded the trial, and each time I use it I get a notification telling me I have x days left on my trial version before it turns into demo mode.

I was hoping perhaps someone had also downloaded the trial and wondered if they'd experienced the same issue. I'd like to buy the thing but if it doesn't work properly I can imagine it would be difficult to try and claim a refund!

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Nov 19, 2016 at 3:20:22 pm

I can say with the purchased version, I've never had that happen. The other possible explanation is there isn't enough real-time processing horsepower. FCP X only processes audio in realtime and never renders it. It's one of the reasons I tend to use the iZotope app because it's rather processor intensive. But usually it results in audio coming in and out frequently or stuttering playback. It doesn't sound like that's what's going on.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Nov 20, 2016 at 12:15:03 am

[Brett Sherman] "But usually it results in audio coming in and out frequently or stuttering playback. It doesn't sound like that's what's going on."

No problems with dropping out audio or stuttering on either my 2013 MBP or 2013 MacCylinder using either RX4 or now RX5, or last two versions of Ozone. This is with either FCPX 10.2.3 or 10.3

I was on Yosemite, but just upgraded to El Capitan in order to be able to use FCPX 10.3

Return to posts index

Peter Drobinski
on Nov 22, 2016 at 4:03:17 pm

Thank you both, James and Brett.

This is the RX5 Plugin pack, and I'm using it with FCPX 10.3 and Sierra. I'm wondering whether this combination is the problem?

Izotope have kindly sent me a registration number to temporarily authorise the plugin pack for a further 10 days, to see if that was the problem, but the issue persists. I've applied the de-clicker to several clips on the timeline (both video/audio and separate audio) and it still blanks the last 1 second of each clip I try it on.

Peter

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 22, 2016 at 6:16:38 pm

What is the audio codec of the clips you're working with?
Have your tried on a PCM / AIFF source?
Are you using 44.1 kHz sources?

Return to posts index

Peter Drobinski
on Nov 22, 2016 at 6:49:21 pm

[Craig Seeman] "What is the audio codec of the clips you're working with?
Have your tried on a PCM / AIFF source?
Are you using 44.1 kHz sources?"

Hi Craig

The audio on the clips is linear PCM at 48kHz.

Peter

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 22, 2016 at 7:18:29 pm

You could try resetting preferences in FCPX.
Personally I'd recommend creating a New User Admin account, so both OS and Application Preferences are fresh and, starting with a new Library, import a clip and test in a new Event/Project.

Return to posts index

Peter Drobinski
on Nov 22, 2016 at 10:04:02 pm

Thanks Craig, I'll give that a go.

Return to posts index

Peter Drobinski
on Nov 22, 2016 at 11:09:52 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Personally I'd recommend creating a New User Admin account, so both OS and Application Preferences are fresh and, starting with a new Library, import a clip and test in a new Event/Project.
"

Sorry, no dice.

Created a new admin user Admin account, opened a new library, imported a new clip (one that wasn't used in previous attempts), started a new project and applied the de-clicker. The final 1 second of the clip still mutes.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 22, 2016 at 11:48:10 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Nov 23, 2016 at 12:15:13 am

Well, I'll be.....

A few days back I purchased the iZotope RX5 (5.02) Audio Editor Standard.
So I decided to test the De-click and, sure enough, the last word was gone. Waveform still there but it was the sound of silence. De-clip and De-crackle did the same thing. The De-noise plugins sounded OK.

Consider this confirmed.
Time to file a bug report.
https://support.izotope.com/customer/portal/emails/new

Return to posts index

Peter Drobinski
on Nov 23, 2016 at 7:10:26 am

[Craig Seeman] "Consider this confirmed.
Time to file a bug report."

Thanks Craig, my experience exactly. Confirmed at last - thought I was going mad!

I'll add my name to that bug report.

Return to posts index

Hamdani Milas
on Nov 23, 2016 at 11:07:50 am

I'm not sure this is a new issue. I've experienced the a similar audio dropout issue in FCPX 10.2.3 at the end of a clip with RX5 DeNoise plugin for FCPX for several months. (fully paid version) It only happened when the Adaptive setting was applied, usually the most effective, and the last 40 frames of a clip was muted.

Reported it to Izotope in August 2016 and they responded with a standard 'we'll report it to our development team" statement and followed that up with even less impressive feedback and I quote, "Development team has filed the report and it is under consideration for any future updates or patches." Since then, nothing, no patches, no updates.

Not so impressive for a fairly costly set of great audio tools.

I did discover with video clips that included audio (Canon C300 XF 1080/25) the work-around was to Break Apart Clip and apply the De-Noise filter to the separated audio. It works fine like this.

Definitely a bug.

Hamdani Milas

Independent producer, director, cinematographer, writer, editor
Milas Film Productions, Hong Kong
http://www.milasfilm.com

Return to posts index

Peter Drobinski
on Nov 23, 2016 at 11:25:52 am

Hamdani

I've just tried again - no problem at all with the de-noise, the muting just applies to de-click, de-crackle and de-clip. I've also tried with audio clips broken apart from the video and with stand-alone audio clips. Same issue.

I think the adaptive settings are only available in the advanced version of the software, not the basis version I have been looking at.

Peter

Return to posts index

Hamdani Milas
on Nov 23, 2016 at 12:29:04 pm

Peter

Yes, I should have clarified, it's the RX5 Advanced version I'm using. It's odd that a similar issue manifests in different versions of both RX5 and FCPX and involving different Izotope plugins. Does this indicate an OSX issue? I gave up trying to figure it out. Seems the developer has too.

I am still on El Capitan 10.11.6

Hamdani

Return to posts index

Peter Drobinski
on Nov 23, 2016 at 12:59:29 pm

[Hamdani Milas] "Yes, I should have clarified, it's the RX5 Advanced version I'm using. It's odd that a similar issue manifests in different versions of both RX5 and FCPX and involving different Izotope plugins. Does this indicate an OSX issue? I gave up trying to figure it out. Seems the developer has too.
"

Hamdani

Shame, really, as it seems to work very well otherwise. I've emailed a bug report for what it's worth.

Would anyone have any recommendations for other effective audio cleaning plugins that work with FCPX?

Peter

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 23, 2016 at 3:59:32 pm

IMHO we keep bugging the developer. If it's not fixed after each update one should follow up using the case number they sent you and state that the issue hasn't been fixed.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 25, 2016 at 10:46:16 pm

Response to my bug report

We’ve been getting some additional reports of this issue occurring and will need to investigate this behavior further. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and for providing the attached information.

I’ll be sure to get in touch once we have some additional verification regarding why this issue is occurring. We appreciate your patience while this is being looked into.

In the meantime please let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks again for reaching out!

Return to posts index

Peter Drobinski
on Nov 29, 2016 at 7:29:55 am

Response to my bug report, just received:
--------

Thanks for reaching out and I apologize for any trouble you’ve experienced!

The audio dropouts you are experiencing can occur when a plug-in introduces more delay into your session than your host can compensate for.
Generally for Final Cut Pro users we recommend using the RX 5 Audio Editor in these cases as this will allow you to use the full version of RX 5 Audio Editor an external audio editor within Final Cut Pro. Using this workflow will allow Final Cut Pro 10.3 to better handle the CPU heavy plug-ins (ie. De-clip and De-click).

------

Does this make sense? The issue occurs if I apply the effect to a clip as short as a couple of seconds. My iMac is a 5k retina 4GHz core i7, 32GB memory, AMD Radeon R9 4096MB - surely enough CPU power?

I guess the bottom line is that the plug-in doesn't work and their solution is the (much more expensive) stand-alone editor.

Peter

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 29, 2016 at 7:57:45 am

[Peter Drobinski] "The audio dropouts you are experiencing can occur when a plug-in introduces more delay into your session than your host can compensate for."

That sounds like they're giving you double speak. This isn't simply a dropout during playback.
If that were true the Plugin Pack simply isn't compatible with FCPX and shouldn't be sold as such.
I'd challenge them and ask to speak to someone higher up on the food chain.

It certainly doesn't match the response that I received.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 29, 2016 at 6:32:17 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Nov 29, 2016 at 6:35:24 pm

Noting that FCPWORKS post on RX4 has comment going back to February 2015 describing this very issue so it's nearly two years old.

http://www.fcpworks.com/izotope-rx4-editors/

BTW regarding "CPU Heavy" plugins, I'm using it on a late 2013 6 core Mac Pro so I seriously doubt the CPU is the issue especially when dealing with audio (PCM) on a clip that's a minute or so long.

Return to posts index

Robert Griffiths
on Dec 1, 2016 at 6:54:47 pm

Sorry I'm late to the game ...

Here's the basics: macOS 10.12.1/FCPX 10.3/ MacPro 2013-8 core-D700's-64GB

I am seeing the same kind of occasional dropout problems that you guys are seeing with the latest and registered RX5 Advanced and Alloy 2. Both in playback and a rendered master file. I'm stacking Dialogue De-Noise and Alloy 2 on each clip. Eliminate one or the other, everything seems OK. Both have occasional dropouts across multiple clips. This combo worked just fine in 10.2.3. I haven't heard back from Izotope.

News at 11 ...

G r i f f
-----
R o b e r t G r i f f i t h s , D i r e c t o r
F i r e D a n c e r P r o d u c t i o n s , I n c.
C a r b o n d a l e * C o l o r a d o * U S A

http://www.FireDancer.tv

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 1, 2016 at 10:29:54 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Dec 1, 2016 at 10:33:41 pm

Ironically the De-noise plugin is fine for me.
In my case I'm not using any other audio plugins at all.
I am using Color Finale Pro to apply a simple grade.

Return to posts index

Robert Griffiths
on Dec 2, 2016 at 7:14:18 pm

Anyone heard from Izotope on this issue? It's been almost 3 days of radio silence here ...

G r i f f
-----

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 2, 2016 at 8:08:55 pm

Yes, they sent me an email. They've asked me to dropbox them a zipped FCPX "project" (obviously a library) so they can see first hand. I'll get that to them by the end of the day.

Return to posts index

Peter Drobinski
on Dec 3, 2016 at 8:31:43 am

Sorry, I've been away for a couple of days.

Craig, I'm glad they've asked you for a file, they haven't been anywhere near as communicative with me, apart from the response I posted.

Return to posts index

Hamdani Milas
on Dec 3, 2016 at 11:58:04 am

I contacted Izotope 10 days ago with a follow-up to their last service ticket response, received when the issue was first reported to customer support last Aug. Included a link to this thread but haven't had a reply or acknowledgement.

The problems with Izotope's plug-ins in FCPX persist so if there is audio to repair it's a round-trip to the stand-alone RX5 Audio Editor where the same modules as the FCPX plug-ins all function as advertised.

Hamdani Milas

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 3, 2016 at 2:31:48 pm

[Hamdani Milas] "it's a round-trip to the stand-alone RX5 Audio Editor where the same modules as the FCPX plug-ins all function as advertised."

Good if you have the Audio Editor as I do. But not an efficient workflow if you have a lot of clips that need repair.
And, an impossible workflow if you purchase the Plugin Pack which does not include the Audio Editor.

Return to posts index

Peter Drobinski
on Dec 4, 2016 at 3:15:40 pm

[Craig Seeman] "And, an impossible workflow if you purchase the Plugin Pack which does not include the Audio Editor."

Yes, that's my problem - I can't justify the cost of the whole standalone editor just now but I have a project with several dozen audio clips that could do with de-clicking.

Hopefully they'll come back to you with a solution, Craig.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 3, 2016 at 2:37:59 pm

I was very thorough documenting the issue. I included screen captures of before and after showing the clip playing in FCPX where the waveform is visible but no audio is heard.

I sent them links from around the web where people complained of the same issue going back two years.

Generally, support needs to be able to duplicate the issue in order to resolve it so I provide conclusive proof so they can't make odd claims about "hosts and CPU resources."

Return to posts index

Robert Griffiths
on Dec 3, 2016 at 4:56:28 pm

If they come up with a fix, please post it here. My workaround is to export via fcpxml/X2Pro to Logic Pro X to sweeten and mix there. Major overkill for a simple dialogue track ... but there you have it.

G r i f f
-----

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 6, 2016 at 10:52:18 pm

They've acknowledged receipt of my "project" (Library with source media and project with clip and filter applied).

Return to posts index

Robert Griffiths
on Dec 6, 2016 at 10:57:41 pm

Good. They've never acknowledged me except for robot email replies.

G r i f f
-----

Return to posts index

Robert Griffiths
on Dec 9, 2016 at 3:41:18 pm

Hi all,

I have been in touch with Will from Izotope. Here are the pertinent bits of his first set of questions. YMMV:
--------------
For troubleshooting purposes, could you let us know if the issue occurs in every session, or only in sessions with large amounts of effects and clips?

Funny you should ask. I initially had problems when working on an older (6 months ago) library. But with a newer library (current) no problems. The older library is a bit on the massive side (735GB) whereas the newer one is 350GB. In both cases, Alloy 2 and RX5 Dialogue Denoiser were present on pretty much every clip.

Additionally, could you let us know if this happens only with Alloy 2 or only with RX Plug-ins, or only when both are used at on

Both.
--------------
Hopefully this helps. I'll let you know what he says.

Thanks!

G r i f f
-----

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 9, 2016 at 3:48:21 pm

I sent them a library. One clip short clip in the Library. 10 seconds or so in the project (timeline). No other effects at all. Newly created library under FCPX 10.3.1. The problem is obvious.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 9, 2016 at 8:33:00 pm

Perhaps Will hasn't seen my Library. Would you send me his contact info?
I've been in contact with Josh.

Return to posts index

Robert Griffiths
on Dec 10, 2016 at 5:23:36 pm

It looks like it's the same email for everyone: support@izotope.com

G r i f f
-----

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 12, 2016 at 8:48:31 pm

Got a confirmation from iZotope Customer Care today.

Thanks again for your patience. This is confirmed reproducible on our end. While I cannot provide a timeline as to when this will be resolved, they have been made aware of the issue and it is currently under investigation and logged in our system. We appreciate your patience while this is being looked into and apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Return to posts index

Robert Griffiths
on Dec 13, 2016 at 12:31:29 am

Hmmm ... that response is kinda like being kissed by your sister.

I guess the real patience and waiting starts now.

Thanks for the update, Craig!

G r i f f
-----

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 13, 2016 at 2:23:33 am

I guess we can give it a couple of years to see what happens. 😡

Return to posts index

Peter Drobinski
on Dec 20, 2016 at 11:10:40 am

Thanks, Craig, for following this up and getting somewhere with Izotope.

Not the best outcome, but at least they agree there's a problem.

As you say, I'll check back with them in a couple of years and see if they've got round to doing something!

Peter

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 20, 2016 at 4:46:16 pm

I will be a nudge.
I do hope others file cases as well. I know that's what developers look when the determine priority to fix issues.

Those purchasing their Plugin Package should be livid since it seriously hinders its utility.
Perhaps what's happening is people are testing with the free trial, spotting the issue and, simply moving on without filing a support case.

Return to posts index

Sylvain Sailler
on Apr 3, 2017 at 7:03:40 am

Hi. I experience the same issue. I found that if sound suddenly silence itself 1 or 2 seconds before the end of a clip, I just have to prolong this clip by some seconds and mute it to -∞ dB with a keyframe where it was previously cut. Then the silence bug disappears, but you cannot say it's handy.

Any news from Izotope?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 3, 2017 at 3:22:18 pm

Beyond acknowledging the issue, iZotope is silent.
Some say the issue is around real time processing but if that were the case I'd think rendering the filter would help. it's doesn't.

Return to posts index

Robert Griffiths
on Apr 3, 2017 at 3:36:13 pm

We are getting the Apple treatment from Izotope. Bad trend.

G r i f f
-----

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
RX 6 is on the way April 20 presentation
on Apr 7, 2017 at 12:29:58 am

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/repair-and-edit/rx-6.html

So if there's a fix for the plugins it'll be an upgrade.

Return to posts index

Robert Griffiths
Re: RX 6 is on the way April 20 presentation
on Apr 7, 2017 at 11:21:51 pm

And we get to pay for the privilege of finding out ... or not. I'm glad I'm retiring soon.

G r i f f
-----

Return to posts index

Shaune Fradley
on Apr 12, 2017 at 12:19:59 pm

This is pretty disgraceful for a company who charges a premium for their software. After some trial and error I've managed to get everything working in FCP 10.3.2 apart from the dereverb filter.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 12, 2017 at 2:09:23 pm

[Shaune Fradley] "After some trial and error I've managed to get everything working in FCP 10.3.2 apart from the dereverb filter."

Meaning workarounds I'm sure. BTW you'd think they'd have tutorials for such given that they sell a plugin pack. Several plugins in the pack suffer from the issue of tail audio being cut off.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 1, 2017 at 6:48:26 pm

Dunno if this helps, but it just occurred to me that I ran into a situation where the end of a processed file was being cut off.

There was some latency due to the processing. When I added more space past the end of the clip, I got a finished file without the tail cut off.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
iZotope 6
on Apr 20, 2017 at 6:51:22 pm

So their site now has iZotope 6.
Plugin Pack 5 to 6 upgrade $49
Upgrade from Standard 5 to 6 $149

Return to posts index

Robert Griffiths
Re: iZotope 6
on Apr 21, 2017 at 12:05:59 am

Gee, bug fixes aren't cheap ... if they have been done at all. :-(

G r i f f
-----

Return to posts index

Peter Drobinski
on Apr 21, 2017 at 8:31:15 am

On the RX6 'features' page, RX Elements (which I assume is what they call the plug-in pack now) claims that De-Click and De-Noise are "IMPROVED!"

Perhaps "IMPROVED!" means they've made the subtle shift from 'DOESN'T WORK!' to 'WORKS!'

I'll try and get hold of a free demo and give it a go.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 21, 2017 at 3:27:58 pm

And if you decide to upgrade (and I may) you'll note that there's no upgrade coupons and a warning saying there's a problem loading them due to have traffic (in a very tiny red banner) at the top of your account page where the coupons should be.

Return to posts index

Peter Drobinski
on Apr 21, 2017 at 3:34:05 pm

Bad news, I'm afraid.

Just downloaded the new RX Elements and tried it within FCPX in demo mode, and the same problem persists. Last second or two of audio remains muted with the de-click filter. No change at all.

Return to posts index

Robert Griffiths
on Apr 21, 2017 at 3:45:10 pm

I just upgraded my PPS1 to PPS2. No issues with the coupon. A lot of new features. We'll see how they work in the real world.

G r i f f
-----

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 21, 2017 at 7:36:32 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Apr 21, 2017 at 7:42:40 pm

I'm still getting the warning message with no coupons present. I have RX 5 Standard.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 21, 2017 at 7:41:18 pm

I don't get the strategy of selling plugins that don't work properly. I believe one change from Plugin Pack to Elements is that Elements now has a separate editor like RX Standard does.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]