APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Lost my work, arrrrrrrggggghhhh.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Morache
Lost my work, arrrrrrrggggghhhh.
on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:02:29 pm

3-4 hours into an edit, my firewire cable wiggled out and my project went offline.

Usually this is no problem. I re-mount the drive, restart FCX and everything is good.

This time, the app didn't open. It got hung up loading the project I was working on. I tried hiding the project and see if just the event would come back, it did not.

Tried just the project to see if it would show up offline, and it did not. It just hung up on opening. No beachball, no "not responding" in the force quit box. Just nothing.

This is something that would have been so easy with the autosave vault.

Before I start ranting on the lack of backup and relinking, any thoughts on how to keep this from happening again? Is this something built into Lion? I've not felt the need to upgrade my OS, but maybe it's time.

---------
FCX. She tempts me, abuses me, beats me up, makes me feel worthless, then in the end she comes around, helps me get my work done, gives me hope and I can't stop thinking about her.

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

greg gilpatrick
Re: Lost my work, arrrrrrrggggghhhh.
on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:09:33 pm

Sounds like your drive got corrupted. Try Disk Utility.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
CurrentVersion.fcpproject implies PreviousVersion?
on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:42:12 pm

[greg gilpatrick] "Sounds like your drive got corrupted. Try Disk Utility."

It's probably too late. I've already re-created my event and started re-editing.

I think it was just something about the project and/or event files that went pooch. Removing the folders for the current project, and FCX opened with every other project in place. Put them back, and no go.

In the future if my cable gets pulled, I'll remount and run disk utility, to make sure what's on there doesn't get written over or further corrupted, but I still think we need a save vault.

And I find it interesting that in both the events folder and the projects folder, the events and projects all have the same name.

CurrentVersion.fcpevent and CurrentVersion.fcpproject seems to imply that there's room for other versions in here.

Does this mean they might someday make "PreviousVersion.fcpproject?"

---------
FCX. She tempts me, abuses me, beats me up, makes me feel worthless, then in the end she comes around, helps me get my work done, gives me hope and I can't stop thinking about her.

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: CurrentVersion.fcpproject implies PreviousVersion?
on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:53:36 pm

Lion has something akin to an AutoSave vault, that works like Time Machine.
FCPX doesn't support it yet...but likely will. Thats what that versioning means.

Other apps like the iWork suite support it now and its very cool.

Return to posts index

greg gilpatrick
on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:54:21 pm

My guess is that they think Time Machine is a suitable form of backup, which I don't disagree with. The old FCP way with literally hundreds of old project files floating around was annoying. It would be nice to have an interface within the app that allows you to experiment with a cut but have a snapshot that you can always revert to. So maybe you're right about the CurrentVersion thing being a sign of something like that to come.

In general, it is a bad thing to unplug a hard drive from a Mac while it is in the process of reading or writing to the drive. So, if you accidentally unplug a hard drive without unmounting it in the Finder, you should use Disk Utility to see if its okay.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Sep 26, 2011 at 5:06:08 pm

[greg gilpatrick] "In general, it is a bad thing to unplug a hard drive from a Mac while it is in the process of reading or writing to the drive."

Yes. It was unintentional.

Perhaps this is double dangerous because of the "save-less" way FCX constantly updates your project.

I'm still buggled about what to do for safety.

I may just need to create a copy of the project, without renders every 30-45 minutes, but it takes time, and starts filling up my project bin. Not the best.

[greg gilpatrick] "The old FCP way with literally hundreds of old project files floating around was annoying."

I actually found it just the opposite of annoying. It was quite easy to put a limit on the number of saves, but in these days of huge hard drives, the petty project file has such a small footprint, that I could save 100 versions of each project, and never ever need to be bothered with all those files, until the emergency, and my oh my was I ever glad it was there.

---------

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Sep 26, 2011 at 5:09:30 pm

[Mark Morache] "I think it was just something about the project and/or event files that went pooch. "

Since these files are database, it's easy to imagine that some kind of database corruption happened when you lost the drive. Some kind of autosave vault sounds like a good idea.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 26, 2011 at 5:28:17 pm

[Mark Morache] "Does this mean they might someday make "PreviousVersion.fcpproject?""

When I updated to the latest version of FCPX, all my Events went in to an "Old Version" folder as the they were updated. So, kinda.

The name of the event is still "Current Version" but it has a dated string attached to it now:

CurrentVersion (655 - 2011-09-20 15-01-42 -0500).fcpevent

Look familiar?

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Sep 26, 2011 at 5:30:50 pm

Sure, now if we could just get FCX to do this automatically on a regular basis, I wouldn't be freaking out about losing my edits.

This shouldn't be that difficult for Apple to do.

---------

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 26, 2011 at 5:31:52 pm

[Mark Morache] "This shouldn't be that difficult for Apple to do."

Totally agree. I am wondering what happened to your original event. You are saying the drive went kablooey or your event/project wen t kablooey? The drive won't mount or the Events won't mount?

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Sep 26, 2011 at 5:35:58 pm

It simply wouldn't load. FCX gives you informaiton in the splash screen as it starts up. I watched my projects load, but when it got to the one I was working on, it stopped. It hung up. No progress. After 10-15 minutes I figured nothing was going to happen and I forcibly quit the program, removed the project and event from the FCX folders, and was able to open the application quite quickly.

I'm sure my event and project files got messed up somehow.

---------

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 26, 2011 at 5:41:56 pm

[Mark Morache] "I'm sure my event and project files got messed up somehow."

First, did you try trashing prefs?

Wonder what would happen if you let it run for a longer time.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Sep 26, 2011 at 5:45:41 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "First, did you try trashing prefs?"

Yep. No help.

And I don't have time now to let it sit for hours.

Editing always goes faster the second time you do it! Unless you're cowposting, then it takes longer.

---------

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Sep 26, 2011 at 6:55:18 pm

It sounds Iike your project/event files are open or "locked". I would find the current version files of both of those and duplicate them, then move the originals someplace like your desktop and rename the dupes to be the same as the originals.

See if fcp x launches then.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]