APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Can't "INSERT EDIT" in Final Cut Pro X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maribeth Abrams
Can't "INSERT EDIT" in Final Cut Pro X
on Sep 20, 2016 at 4:51:15 pm

HELP! I can drag a clip down to the end of the timeline, and I can drag a clip down to REPLACE a clip already in the timeline, but I'm suddenly unable to drag a clip down to place BETWEEN two other clips, anywhere at all in the timeline. It's as though the "Insert Edit" function is completely shut off. Does anyone know how to turn that function back on?

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
Re: Can't "INSERT EDIT" in Final Cut Pro X
on Sep 20, 2016 at 5:00:09 pm

Are you trying to insert between connected clips? If so, highlight all the connected clips in the region and create a new storyline (command-G). With that storyline highlighted, you can insert, move, append and replace just like the primary storyline. Secondary storylines are extremely powerful and efficient. If I have more than one b-roll connected clip in an area, it's become habit to create that new storyline.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Maribeth Abrams
on Sep 20, 2016 at 5:08:49 pm

Thanks! This is just a 5 minute video so breaking it down into smaller storylines isn't something I want to do. However, I followed your advice and created a "new storyline" by highlighting THE ENTIRE TIMELINE and lo and behold, I can now "Insert Edit" anywhere in the timeline.

For future though, do you know where the function key is located to turn back on Insert Edit function? In the past I've always had the ability to do this by default, without having to click on anything.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Sep 20, 2016 at 5:17:56 pm

The W key is the insert key. On my last project, which was all interview driven, my primary storyline is the interviewees. If I want to insert another interview clip, I place the playhead at that spot and hit the W key for insert.

My secondary storyline is primarily for B-roll. When I get more than on b-roll connected clip I create a storyline. As long as you have that new storyline highlighted, it acts just like the primary. It's very cool voodoo.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Maribeth Abrams
on Sep 20, 2016 at 6:07:06 pm

Thank you so much for your help. I had tried the W key a bunch of times before posting my initial inquiry, but the clip would come down and land in the audio file rather than in the main (B Roll) portion of the timeline. Now I can see why you block out the storyline in advance.

The strange thing though is that in the past, when working on projects, whenever I dragged down a clip to the timeline, I always had the option of either adding it as a new clip or replacing an old clip with it. The option was simply always there, and when I go to the online tutorials, they also say that the option should always be there. I even tried restarting my computer hoping that the option would return.

But thank you anyway - you have solved my problem for this project!!!!!

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Sep 20, 2016 at 8:45:35 pm

[Maribeth Abrams] "I always had the option of either adding it as a new clip or replacing an old clip with it. "

I depends where you drag it. If you are on top of the clip and it highlights, you get the pop-up menu to replace from start, etc. If you don't, it will insert where you drag it. I usually start out by using the E key and append all my selects to my primary to get a quick start on the story. Then I will start finessing the primary, then on to the secondaries. For the example of my project above, the primary storyline is the interview "track" if you will. Secondary storylines on top for b-roll and then the music clip underneath. You don't have to do it this way, but it's old track-based habits that still stay with me!

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]