APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: FCP Legacy FCPX Debates Apple Final Cut Pro X FCP Tutorials

Title Opacity issue.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Witthaus
Title Opacity issue.
on Sep 17, 2016 at 5:43:00 pm

Wondering if anyone has seen or is seeing this:

Working on a seven minute teaser for a doc to be cut next summer. Interviews and titles (lower third title template) were cut in and everything looks cool. I used the standard opacity slider to fade the titles in and out. Producer came back with more cover footage which allowed me to cut out a few "ums" and "ands" and make the cut a bit tighter, shorter duration. However, when I did that, the titles did a fast fade at the their original timeline point, not the new shorter version. Meaning the title dipped to black and came back where they were before tightening up the cut. The solution was to do anything to the title that caused a re-render. Then they faded correctly.

Bug? System issue? Prefs?

Thanks in advance.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Title Opacity issue.
on Sep 17, 2016 at 10:29:24 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "The solution was to do anything to the title that caused a re-render."

You render? I've found FCPX's render file management to be pretty flaky. Does this behavior happen when it's left unrendered?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Sep 18, 2016 at 12:43:07 am

I did not notice it un-rendered, but I certainly wasn't looking for that. Every title after the point I tightened up the edit showed this problem. I have seen it before, but never to this amount.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 18, 2016 at 3:59:49 pm

Are you saying the titles do not unrender when you change the video underneath? If that's the case, clear out the render cache and start fresh.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 19, 2016 at 12:08:03 pm

What do you mean by standard opacity slider? Are you keyframing or using the built in fade handles?

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Sep 19, 2016 at 12:19:17 pm

built in fade handles.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 19, 2016 at 12:38:23 pm

Ah. When you said opacity slider the only opacity slider I can think of is in the inspector, and that would have meant keyframing. Since I use the handles or dissolves and have never seen this issue (and yes I have to render at times just to playback. If you don't then your timelines aren't complicated enough!).

I have seen the occasional item refuse to unrender, but that's one in 10,000. Used to happen all the time in legacy and I'd just toggle the opacity. In X, if you toggle the opacity it goes back to rendered because X is much smarter than legacy. To avoid clearing the cache I've done things like change a setting from 39 to 38.99 for example. Whatever works. But if you're seeing it on multiple clips then clearing the cache would be the safest bet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]