APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Copy Events folder with Finder or use FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Barnes
Copy Events folder with Finder or use FCPX
on Sep 16, 2011 at 12:45:31 am

I was getting ready to reformat my machine so I was copying files and backing things up and I was wondering is there a reason to go through the FCPX interface to Duplicate/Copy Events&Projects or is it perfectly acceptable to just use finder and copy the folders?

Second has anyone done a speed test to see if there is a significant difference between Finder or FCPX When doing this process?

After I get my machine reformatted I plan on Testing this, I just wanted to see if anyone had already tested it. Or if there would be any intrest in seeing what the results were when I do. It could be in my head, but it just seems when I copy the events though FCPX it seems to take longer than I would expect.

I am not bound by what is possible.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
Re: Copy Events folder with Finder or use FCPX
on Sep 16, 2011 at 12:17:27 pm

I recently moved my FCP X Projects and Events from an internal drive on my Mac Pro to and external RAID with a Finder copy. I put the Projects and Events on the internal drive into a folder titled "Old FCP X". When I started up FCP X it referenced the Projects and Events on the RAID with no issues. I don't know if the copying speed is faster doing it through FCP X or the Finder but Finder copies have always worked fine for me. I get a better feel for where stuff is looking at it in the Finder.

I also recently purchased Event Manager X from Intelligent Assistance and it's well worth the $5 for organizing the Event and Project Libraries in FCP X. I am not affiliated with Intelligent Assistance.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Copy Events folder with Finder or use FCPX
on Sep 16, 2011 at 7:02:22 pm

If the project only references one event, then I don't see an issue doing it from the finder. If your project references media from multiple events, I might be tempted to back it up from within FCPX.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]