APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: FCP Legacy FCPX Debates Apple Final Cut Pro X FCP Tutorials

Issue with fcpx multicam editing!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guillaume Gauthier
Issue with fcpx multicam editing!
on May 6, 2015 at 7:25:28 pm

I'm trying to edit a 8 cam tv show with multiclip on fcpx. My problem is when I switch cam it made an edit slice on video AND audio. I don't mean that audio is switched to, I know how to only switch video and keep the master audio playing all the way. But it still made an edit slice on the audio track so when I'm ready to send my editing to the audio mix it made to much cuts for noting. I would like to be able to switch cam on my video and let the audio intact unless I want to cut a part of the timing on the video. If I detach audio when I want to cut time everyting go off sync!

I wish I'm clear with my demand... !!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Issue with fcpx multicam editing!
on May 7, 2015 at 3:57:25 pm

Gillian's,
You don't yet quite understand the way X is built to work both with muxed files and with traditional discrete "audio with video" files. In the Multicam stage, you're creating a single muxed stream with one track of video and two tracks of audio from many separate elements. Because the file is muxed, a cut affects the whole file, not just its parts. The simple solution is to just replace the single muxed file with TWO files so that it can work like the old double system approach if you need that. Go to your multi clip. Find where your audio track starts. Note the time code offset (if there is one) Copy the audio. Go to your project and put your play head at the time ode offset and paste.
Bingo. Just like FCP 7 from 5 years ago! Now select all your video clips and set the audio levels to silence as a group. Probably take 2 minutes to get what you seem to want - which is audio without through edits.

Just realize that if you do this and subsequently move a clip, you risk losing sync with your downstream clips.

Might be smarter to just leave everything alone and after your Multicam switch, work exclusively via connected clips, but that's up to you. Happy editing.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Guillaume Gauthier
on May 8, 2015 at 3:05:34 pm

Ty Bill
But I work with 8 cameras and 24 audio tracks with 3hrs medias that I need to turn down to 45 minutes for my broadcast show. So I need to use multi cams to keep my audio and video sync but every time I switch angle it make a splice on the audio tracks that turns it impossible to make primary audio mix.
I need to cut in time almost every 10 seconds so If I work with detach audio It become really risqué to desync the audio since there's no indications when detach audio become off-sync.!

Return to posts index

Guillaume Gauthier
on May 8, 2015 at 3:40:17 pm

oh! I just figure that I am on a Fcpx or not debate... there is no debate here... I love fcpx I'm just trying to find a solution with this issue!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 11, 2015 at 12:52:09 am

Not all. Just the foundational issue that continues to trip up editors with only traditional NLE experience. They have to leave behind a conception where video is always and universally what's "above the line" and audio is what's always below it. And that these are necessarily always going to be separate things - even when they are "linked." X does not work this way. You need to accept that the single multitrack "muxed" track is a valuable (often VERY valuable) alternative system for synchronizing audio and video. "When I cut my video it also cuts my audio - and I don't want that" is an indicator that somebody is not yet fully thinking inside the rules of the X system. If you are, you can easily see multiple ways to get other results, two of which I tried to explain. (There are others!) That's all that's going on here. The OP will figure it out - his attitude is perfect to learn X - because instead of fighting it and trying to shoehorn it into his old instincts, he's open and excited to learn something new. That's the key to X. Be willing to learn something new.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on May 14, 2015 at 3:15:41 pm
Last Edited By James Ewart on May 14, 2015 at 4:39:54 pm

[Bill Davis] ""When I cut my video it also cuts my audio - and I don't want that" is an indicator that somebody is not yet fully thinking inside the rules of the X system. If you are, you can easily see multiple ways to get other results, two of which I tried to explain."

I have cut a quite number of jobs in Multicam and quite few other things just for fun. I love how it works especially for single/dual camera multiple take take work, but i am still not clear on why, when you have selected "video only" it puts blade cuts in the audio.

I have been through the Ripple tutorials and still cannot figure it out. I have read about workarounds of dragging out the audio from the selected main audio track at the end of the cut to get rid of them. Or expanding audio components and doing the same thing. But these are "workarounds" are they not? if it was a bug they would have fixed it by now so there must be good reason.

So why does it do it? There must be a benefit or reason so I guess I am missing something.

I can also see that if you are working on a project (sorry to go of topic here but that's why sequences should not be called projects) as described by the OP and shortening things here and there it could perhaps, be a help ... but then my brain gets addled.

Can anyone provide a definitive answer on this please?

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on May 11, 2015 at 2:53:05 pm

It is odd that one can select the video only option and yet an apparent splice is made in the audio track but I'm still not clear... are those edits actually "there"? Or do they just look like they are there? My workaround for Multicam work is to drop the master mix back into the timeline or simply drag it back out at the end of the edit.

Tricky I guess if you are shortening the song also.

Return to posts index

Guillaume Gauthier
on May 11, 2015 at 3:22:29 pm

Yeah this is really tricky since it is not a music show but a variety show with lots of guest and lots of shortening to do! If it was a videoclip or something like that it won't be an issue to just detach audio and cut little part here and there but with all the shortening we need to do + all the cut on the audio each time we change angles it become really messy so we gave up and will made it on fcp7. :/ I would have like to do it on fcpx but it's to risky and the rest of post-prod are not ready! I still dont understand why you can't keep your audio tracks untouched.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on May 12, 2015 at 9:20:05 pm

Glad you found something that works for you. Complex projects are not FCPX's forte.

Tim

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 13, 2015 at 1:12:33 am

[TImothy Auld] "Glad you found something that works for you. Complex projects are not FCPX's forte."

Oh that's just plain poppycock. I can have you talk to a dozen guys doing EXTREMELY complex documentaries with thousands of assets to manage and timeline as complex as anything you can show me on any NLE. Was FOCUS not COMPLEX? How about that broadcast season of Leverage? Pretty simple, huh?

Guilliame doesn't know X well enough yet to understand it fully. That's perfectly fair. But to extrapolate that because he's not fully conversant with it YET - that this somehow makes the program incapable is astonishingly lame reasoning.

Given the chops, anyone X certified can successfully cut any music video imaginable. Just as anyone AVID or Premier certified can as well. Period.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 13, 2015 at 3:39:53 am

[Bill Davis] "Just as anyone AVID or Premier certified can as well. Period."

Bill, Dennis R will hunt you down if you don't stop spelling Premiere wrong. Try just the abbreviated form - Pr.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 13, 2015 at 3:44:45 am

[Michael Gissing] "Bill, Dennis R will hunt you down if you don't stop spelling Premiere wrong. Try just the abbreviated form - Pr."

I was going to say something but I didn't because I already feel like I've been hounding Bill in other threads all day. haha

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 13, 2015 at 3:52:41 pm

Apologies to Dennis again! When I read crap like this from those who comment on X 's capabilities without actually having any real experience with the software, it makes me nuts. However I understand that failure to show proper respect for others efforts (including the effort they put into naiming their products is also disrespectful. And I will do better. Just wish the other form of spelling wasn't also a word - then I could rely on auto-correct! Will try to do better.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 13, 2015 at 4:03:06 pm

Word choice, dude.

Hounding indicates ONE willing and one unwilling participant.

What we do is sparring. Hopefully, an exercise that results in improved skills on both sides!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]