APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

What background tasks?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Morache
What background tasks?
on Oct 13, 2014 at 9:48:06 pm

I'm still stumped as to why FCPX will start using lots of CPU when I'm not rendering anything, just a little scrubbing and editing.

Just now, my laptop started heating up, and the fans kicked in, and activity monitor told me that FCPX was using 110% of my dual core. So I look to see that there's nothing running in the background processes - cmd 9 showed me nothing going on. I close the app and I get a warning that it's stopping the background tasks.

What background tasks?

I still experience sluggishness, like FCP is working extra hard, even though I'm not doing anything especially strenuous, and I'm always wondering what it's doing under the hood.

And I always keep background rendering turned off, for this reason.

Anyone else experience this? I know I've brought it up here before, but I think that was a few upgrades ago.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: What background tasks?
on Oct 13, 2014 at 11:58:08 pm

[Mark Morache] "What background tasks?"

I haven't seen exactly what you are seeing, but I went to close out the application today and it sent up the prompt about background tasks still running. Same thing - I looked at the tasks list and nothing was listed. Chose Quit again and it closed out fine. Beats me.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 14, 2014 at 4:55:03 am

Hard to know exactly. One thing often discussed that doesn't show up in the basic render manager is generating audio waveforms.

I know it's not like they're not there if you look at them, but the whole X thing about how X regularly imports and displays for the user stuff that LOOKS like it's in place, while the program furiously does the actual work of calculating the real data behind the scenes make me wonder if something of that type might be happening in the background. Maybe like X tossing up rough basic audio waveform views for the user to skim through, while behind the scenes it continues to calculate all the subframe precision and making that available for users who dive deep into audio at a later time?

Again, I'm guessing and extrapolating without evidence. Maybe the processors are just stuck in a memory leak black hole. But it IS true that X does a good bit of tricky stuff behinds the scenes when the user isn't looking. And it also does use the concept of starting off with lower precision models, and then swapping them out for higher resolution versions as they're calculated and available.

Just idle speculation here.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 14, 2014 at 12:00:06 pm

[Bill Davis] "One thing often discussed that doesn't show up in the basic render manager is generating audio waveforms. "

Not actually true. Waveform rendering in fact does (i.e. should) show up as a "Render" background task. But they also won't keep you from quitting either, as e.g. transcoding will.

[Bill Davis] "starting off with lower precision models"

What is that?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 16, 2014 at 4:34:20 am

I opened a long clip in the browser for the first time and the waveforms were showing up very slowly. Command 9 showed no tasks.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 16, 2014 at 8:46:36 am

I would suspect that that simply has to do with poor disk I/O, not rendering. Waveforms are rendered (and cached) upon import.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 17, 2014 at 12:03:14 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "[Bill Davis] "starting off with lower precision models"

What is that?"

My way of describing how X works when you import non-native content.

Haven't you noticed that if you import something like C-300 or maybe some ugly long GOP footage, even before the entire import is anywhere near complete, you can drop the clip on a storyline and start working with it? It's clearly not referencing the original footage for the working interface since you'd be getting dropped frames galore. And both the ProRes and Proxy transcodes are still yet to happen. But you can STILL edit. So clearly some type of extremely simple thumbnail video is being generated to populate the visual interface and let the user get to work instantly, while the background processes are in progress.

I call that "thumbnail video" typically, but I just referred to it generically as "lower precision models" in this post.

Thats the general idea I was referring to.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 17, 2014 at 12:22:12 am

[Bill Davis] "Haven't you noticed that if you import something like C-300 .... ProRes and Proxy transcodes are still yet to happen."

While your description is true of Long GOP codecs, it's not true of the C300 media. That's Canon XF codec, which is basically XDCAM-HD. It is interpreted as a "native" or "optimized" codec and FCP X simply rewraps the MXF container into MOV. In fact, you can't even force a transcode except to proxies.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 17, 2014 at 5:01:46 am

[Oliver Peters] "While your description is true of Long GOP codecs, it's not true of the C300 media. That's Canon XF codec, which is basically XDCAM-HD. It is interpreted as a "native" or "optimized" codec and FCP X simply rewraps the MXF container into MOV. In fact, you can't even force a transcode except to proxies."

Thanks for the correction, Oliver. The last time I worked with C300 footage was quite a few months back. At the time, my ability to bring C300 footage into FCP X was a chore, likely because Canon and Apple had not exchanged the info necessary. I'm glad it's simpler now.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 17, 2014 at 12:06:01 pm

Yes, you have to make sure to have the correct Canon plug-in.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Doug Suiter
on Oct 14, 2014 at 8:03:02 am

This has been driving me crazy for ages. Phantom background tasks that only show as a "Cancelling Background Tasks" dialog up when you quit prompted by sluggishness.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 14, 2014 at 6:40:07 pm

[Mark Morache] "Just now, my laptop started heating up, and the fans kicked in, and activity monitor told me that FCPX was using 110% of my dual core. So I look to see that there's nothing running in the background processes - cmd 9 showed me nothing going on. I close the app and I get a warning that it's stopping the background tasks.

What background tasks?"

I am getting the same message. Nothing showing up in the list, either.
Occasionally there is a message that FCP X unexpectedly quit due to a Red Giant Universe plug-in, which was not used in the project. Sometimes the message pops up after quitting out of X, which never crashed to begin with. I wonder if it is possible that a plug-in could be responsible for X saying it is cancelling some background task.

Just a guess here, perhaps the next update will address this phantom background task issue.

camera operator | editor | production assistant

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Oct 14, 2014 at 11:47:12 pm

Just had this happen to me this week too (not the first time either). Plus I was stuck in beachball-hell - X would come back briefly then beach ball again and background tasks. I had a very simple timeline open and it was very frustrating. Restarted a couple of times and finally back to normal but I do hope this is fixed on next rev.

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 15, 2014 at 12:00:33 am

No beach balling here in FCP X but that evil little gremlin shows up when I launch Motion. After 5 or 10 seconds Motion works just fine, until then I just twiddle my thumbs. I wonder if this has to do anything with a specific version of Mavericks. Right after I ran the last update, a new version of Safari was listed. Curious . . .

camera operator | editor | production assistant

Return to posts index

Jane Kailey
on Dec 20, 2014 at 9:40:49 pm

YES! New Mac Pro (Late 2013), 6 core: Minimum and constant 100% CPU usage when doing nothing at all. (FCPS 10.1.2).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]