APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

A transition effect to a title!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Floris Kotze
A transition effect to a title!
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:56:20 pm

How do I add a transition effect to a title?!

Return to posts index

Brad Jordan
Re: A transition effect to a title!
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:23:57 pm

As for "Fade In/Fade Out" transition, there is an "In Opacity" and "Out Opacity" in the Inspector for the titles that are keyframe-able. Parameters for Scale, Motion, etc also there.

Looks like you can't add a "Cross Dissolve" or other transition as you would with a regular clip.

Return to posts index

Jonathan White
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:25:01 pm

I'm not in front of the computer now but I think you have to turn it into a storyline ( select then apple-G), then you should be apple to apply transitions...
Johnny

Seanchas Productions, Galway, Ireland

Return to posts index

Brad Jordan
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:31:15 pm

If you make the text object a compound clip, than it acts as a typical video clip and you can add transitions to each end. But it looks like you can do a lot in the text object's inspector tab.

Return to posts index

Floris Kotze
on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:53:41 pm

Thanks guys. I'm using the blur transition for this. If you create a compound clip, it stuffs up the alpha of the title, ie it cuts to black as you blur it in or out. I've tried alotta work arounds, nothing! Absurd! Am I suppose to 'fade' all my titles in or out!?

Return to posts index

Nevin Styre
Solution = Alpha slug
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:35:50 pm

I've figured a workaround to get transitions behaving right on titles. I have a feeling this technique is going to come in handy for a lot of FCPX issues.

1. You need to make an alpha slug, I just made an empty 1920x1080 document in photoshop, set the background to transparent and saved it as a PNG file called ALPHA_SLUG.png.

2.Create your title overtop of your footage, place the alpha slug in front of the title (1 second length for slug is good enough). Select both the slug & the title and create a compound clip, now open the compound clip and you can add any transition between the slug and the title, back to your timeline and voila.

Return to posts index

Nevin Styre
spoke too soon
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:38:53 pm

Well it was working, but now it seems to be doing weird things with the alpha channel, I will do some more testing.

Return to posts index

Floris Kotze
Re: spoke too soon
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:56:00 pm

Thanx allot for trying to help. It's such a pain! All this resources tied up to do something that should take 2 clicks max!

Return to posts index

Nevin Styre
Re: spoke too soon
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:36:12 pm

It's hard because it doesn't seem like there's any rhyme or reason to it, it just decides sometimes that it will transition properly to the alpha, but 50% of the time it decides during the transition that the alpha is a black solid.

However, I have found if you make a working compound clip with the alpha, transition & title, you can copy and edit it without it messing up the alpha. So once you build a working compound clip copy it and use that. You might need to make a few to eventually get a working one, try it in a new project if it isn't working in current(you can copy across projects).
Building another from scratch isn't guaranteed to work, copying a working one seems to be more consistent. Some transitions still won't work without messing up the alpha(moreso the cheesy or complex ones, blurs & dissolves seem fine). Some transitions will make the text appear on a black solid background in the compound clip after the transition, however back on the main timeline the black renders as transparent so it still "works".

for some reason I'm reminded of this 90's anti drug commercial "this is your brain on drugs".
FCPX please come down off the acid and work with us in reality.

Return to posts index

Justin Hall
on Sep 12, 2017 at 4:32:39 am

I'm aware this thread is very old, but I've been wondering about this same issue for ages and came across this incredibly simple, but genius solution in a Youtube video from Ben Halsall. The basics of the method are as follows:

1. Extend your text layer a little past the point where you'd like the transition to appear

2. Blade the text layer at the point where you want the transition to appear

3. Add the transition to the new cut you've just created in that text layer

4. Lower the opacity of the first section of the bladed text layer (ie the part before the transition) to "0"

Obviously if you want the transition at the end of the clip the steps are the same, but then you'd be lowering the opacity to zero at the extra section after the transition

Here's the video if I wasn't clear enough:

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]