APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Color corrections keyframing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maciek Kawalski
Color corrections keyframing
on Jul 29, 2011 at 11:30:45 am

Hello,
is it possible to keyframe color correction to change it's color/saturation/exposure over time?
Eg. to start it green and get more red at the end of the clip?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Color corrections keyframing
on Jul 29, 2011 at 1:57:18 pm

Mattes, yes, colors, apparently not.

Return to posts index

Maciek Kawalski
on Jul 29, 2011 at 2:32:22 pm

I am sorry, but I didn't quite catch your meaning.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 29, 2011 at 3:43:58 pm

Mattes/masks can be keyframed. Color settings themselves can't as far as I can see. You can't change colors over time.

Return to posts index

Robbert-Jan van der Does
on Jul 29, 2011 at 5:53:34 pm

Workaround:
Use the blade tool to split the clip. Apply the color correction you want to the first part of the clip. Aply another color correction to the second part of the clip. Apply a cross dissolve between the two parts and adjust the length of the dissolve to taste.

Kind regards,

Robbert-Jan van der Does
lighting cameraman/steadicam operator/editor

WISIWYG (What I See Is What You Get)

Return to posts index

Maciek Kawalski
on Jul 30, 2011 at 8:08:36 am

A cunning way!
Thank you for you answers.

Return to posts index

Andy Nickless
on Dec 17, 2011 at 11:25:54 am

Such a good workaround - thanks for that.
Andy

I've taught you all I know, and still you know nothing.

Return to posts index

Alex Xela
on Jun 3, 2013 at 8:15:43 pm

Robbert-Jan van der Does,

this does not work for me since I am using stabilization and the clips re-stabilize when I cut them. I guess I'm SOL.

Alex

Return to posts index

Robbert-Jan van der Does
on Jun 3, 2013 at 8:37:17 pm

Hi Alex,

Maybe it is possible to select the stabilized clip and then make it a new compound clip. If you then cut that clip and apply a different color correction to both parts and apply a crossfade?
I'm not behind a Mac where I can try this, but I think it might work.

good luck,
Robbert-Jan

Return to posts index

Colby Fulton
on Mar 2, 2016 at 6:04:17 pm

Wow. It's pathetic that you can't adjust colour corrections over time. Guess I'm going back to Adobe.

Return to posts index

jon leopold
on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:08:37 pm

You can keyframe hue, saturation, value, and intensity. I know that's a bit different than the actual colour correcting tool (in which you would use the technique described by someone else in this post (split/adjust/cross dissolve) .

In the Effects tab, under Basics, Hue/Saturation (drag it onto your clip). The adjustment should appear in the top right panel (whatever that's called?) where you can do keyframing and adjusting of effects.

Thanks very much... High School Media Teacher, multiple Macs (tiger and snow leopard- mac pros, imacs, emacs) and PCs

Return to posts index

Bryan Harris
on Sep 9, 2013 at 11:01:41 pm

Find the clip you need to adjust and reveal in event browser (shift F). Take the clip from the event browser and lay it on the next video track over the original in sync. Effectively you have over-layed the same clip on itself. Now set colour change extremes in one clip, then the other. Use opacity keyframing to switch from one to the other.
I worked this out when needing to exposure grade across a shot with auto exposure hunting.

Return to posts index

Hans Douma
on Oct 18, 2013 at 12:34:19 pm

You can do this easily by creating an FCPX Effect using Motion 5, where you CAN keyframe saturation and other color parameters

Return to posts index

Brett Hamilton
on Jun 1, 2015 at 3:59:11 am

Yep, completely agree with Rob on this one. Great work around - what a fool I was to think it was an original idea of mine :(. In fact, I wrote a little spiel on how I used this technique in a project:

http://www.hamiltonfilms.com.au/no-cut-no-worries/

Of course, in colour grading applications like Davinci Resolve, you can keyframe the correction nodes themselves. But, to be honest, I still find the split and dissolve technique to be much more simple and elegant.

If you have other effects on the clip that can not be split (i.e. stabilization as per the post above) I would suggest baking those effects into the clip (i.e. rendering it out in something like ProRes 4444 etc.) Creative Colour grading like you talk about should be one of your final tasks (if not your final task), so if you really want to retain your raw detail, I would suggest performing a primary correction before baking in effects, then doing your animated creative grade as a final step.

Great thread guys!

Return to posts index

Andy Nickless
on Jun 2, 2015 at 8:05:55 am

Rather than "baking" other effects in, the non-destructive alternative is to make the clips into a Compound Clip and then you can blade and adjust as required without affecting effects already in the originals. Then if you need to adjust these clips, simply open the CC in the Storyline.

If you do go down the "baking" route, you don't need ProRes 4444 unless you have transparent areas in the clip - use 422 most of the time.
Andy

Return to posts index

Brett Hamilton
on Jun 2, 2015 at 8:50:35 am

Great point Andy - compounding the clip is a much better solution.

Re. ProRes versions, I'll have to disagree with you on that one. There are more benefits to 4444 than the alpha channel, namely no chroma sub-sampling and 12-bit colour support. Obviously, the trade off is file size, but we're talking colour grading here, so more information the better right?

Return to posts index

Andy Nickless
on Jun 2, 2015 at 10:06:28 am

It's a trade-off as you say - but there's no need to "bake" anything with FCP X any more. The whole idea is non-destructive editing.

Return to posts index

Story Frontier
on Jun 14, 2016 at 4:18:09 am

yes but you can't compound clip a stabilised clip and a lot of people use that.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jun 14, 2016 at 12:19:21 pm

Sure you can. You just have to stabilize the clip WITHIN the compound clip. By it's definition you can't stabilize a compound clip as it more than often is not a single clip.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]