APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Using Empty Compound Clips as a FCP 7 Sequence - No Need For Projects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Silanskas
Using Empty Compound Clips as a FCP 7 Sequence - No Need For Projects
on Jun 24, 2011 at 9:58:13 am

OK. I want to know why this is a bad idea.

I've been playing around with creating empty Compound Clips in my Events and using them as FCP 7 "Sequences" since from reading the manual they act just like a Mini-Project. Here's why I like this (I'll call them "Sequences" to keep it simple):

- You can keep everything in Events now that you don't need a Project which means one folder to rule them all
- You can easily add keywords to the Sequences to organize them and arrange them in folders which act like the bins in FCP 7
- Since you can't set In and Out points in a timeline, you can just copy and paste the clips you want to export into an Empty Compound Clip which makes it easier than exporting the clip to Compressor and adding In and Out points there
- You can go to the Info Tab of your Sequence and change the settings you need just like a Project

It's late (or early to some) so I'm sure I'm missing something here and that's why I want to find fault in this. I know you know longer have the "Sharing" tab in the properties but I can live without that. It just seems to me that Compound Clips are FCP 7 sequences so why do I need a FCP X Project at all?

tony

http://www.HungryCliff.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Using Empty Compound Clips as a FCP 7 Sequence - No Need For Projects
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:02:40 am

Sounds like a great idea, Tony. Lots of benefits there. I'll definitely be experimenting with this approach, thanks!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:04:32 am

[Simon Ubsdell] "I'll definitely be experimenting with this approach, thanks!"

Please do because I want to find some negatives if they are out there so it doesn't come back to bite me later. I'm beginning to wonder if these new Compound Clips are meant to eventually become the "Sequences" we've been used to and then they'll get rid of Projects altogether. And then the Project Library would just show you the "Sequences" that only pertain to that Event. Compound Clips also seem to be a good foundation for things like multiclips.

And the way I have my client folders organized is each job gets its own folder so each job would get its own Event. Seems much simpler than having to worry about a Projects folder, too. And once we can manually set where to save each Event we'll be in business.

tony

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:27:25 am

So here is a screenshot of very simple test Event, 2011_04_07 TEST FCP X PROJECT, so that you may understand me better

I have 4 Main Folders I created in the Event: AUDIO, FOOTAGE, GRFX and SEQS and then created a Keyword Collection that corresponded to each Folder name. From there I just assigned keywords to each kind of clip.

And as you can see I labeled the Compound Clip "Test Sequence 02", gave it the "Sequence" and "Commercial B" keywords and now every Sequence I do for Commercial B will be right there. I can even put the "Archive Edits" keyword on it when I decide to retire that Sequence.

Obviously I can get much more detailed with the Keywords but this is a start.

tony

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:33:37 am

I really like what you're doing there - looks a great way to get organised.

Do you reckon this could be a template structure that can be adapted for new Events? I like to work using project templates in FCP7 (I often use PostHaste for this) because I know my bin structure is going to be more or less the same from project to project (boy, the "old" language suddenly feels a bit weird!).

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:10:08 pm

One question about what you've done here - why have you made folders to put your Keyword Collections in? Isn't this just duplicating the same thing? Surely a Keyword Collection is a "folder" in most practical senses? (OK, I know it's not exactly that but for the purposes of this discussion ...)

Based on your starting point, this is where I have now reached with my media (and compound clips aka "sequences" of old!) organized by Keyword, which effectively makes them folders.

So instead of your system of having a folder called Commercial A with a Keyword Collection inside, I just have the keyword collection which in turn would house all the different versions of Commercial A. I would then use folders to house Commercials A-D or whatever.

Or am I missing something about your approach? (I wouldn't be surprised!)

Really great tip on the Compound Clip thing - it's suddenly opened up the whole thing for me so I can definitely see my way through to a workable workflow - for my needs at least.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:49:24 am

Just found this in the manual which validates your theory completely:

Effectively, each compound clip can be considered a mini project, with its own distinct project properties.

The manual compares them to FCP7 nests, but actually they are far more powerful as you are suggesting.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:18:04 pm

On this same topic, this from the manual seems to me to be a terrible idea:

After importing your source media files into Final Cut Pro, you may find that you need to create additional Events to organize your media. For example, after importing media shot for a specific client, you may decide to split the media into Events defined by the location the media was shot in; or split the media by the time of day it was shot, such as morning, afternoon, and evening.

Excalt how you don't want to be organizing your media, surely?

Meanwhile, I have to say I am really warming to your idea the more I work with it!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:34:10 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "
Excalt how you don't want to be organizing your media, surely?"

I think more likely their examples are just stupid. More realistic examples might be to split them based on Acts or scenes if your working on a movie. Or splitting your B-roll out to a seperate event.

For me it makes more sense to have an Event=FCP project. Logically I can't even figure out why you might want to "split an event" or create a new event, since from the interfaces POV it's all just sort of folder structurs. So why split an event when you can create a folder or keyword group or whatever.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:43:13 pm

I reckon that by and large we would want to be creating new Events based on where we want particular jobs to be stored, do you think? I doubt that we'd generally want to have a plurality of Events for one job.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:48:11 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "
I reckon that by and large we would want to be creating new Events based on where we want particular jobs to be stored, do you think? I doubt that we'd generally want to have a plurality of Events for one job."

I'd think the same thing too. Why would I essentially want multiple media folders for the same project, when I could just as easily have one

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:50:41 pm

Exactly!

At least this is the way I'm going to be working until I discover otherwise!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Matthew Celia
on Jun 24, 2011 at 4:29:33 pm

So far, I've been using the events on a per project basis, since upon import, I can create a new Event and tell FCPX where to save it (this way I can split up stuff over a few drives).

Have to say, that I'm really digging the compound clips.

----------------
FCP Guru
http://www.fcpguru.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 24, 2011 at 4:57:14 pm

[Matthew Celia] "Have to say, that I'm really digging the compound clips."

Yeah, I have to say the best plan seems to be to try and avoid being guided by what Apple tell you is the right way to work and find the strategies that make the most sense for your particular workflow whatever it might be. There are a lot of seriously daft suggestions about workflows in the manual and the Events business tops the list for me.

Very pleased to have found a working method that makes sense to me, thanks to Tony.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 24, 2011 at 4:59:29 pm

It's actually a really nice workflow and gives you the multiple timeline functionality you may be craving coming from FCP 7.

The one caveat is that it's a one way trip. In other words once you drag a Compound Clip you've created in the Event Browser into a Project, that becomes a specific instance of the Compound Clip and no longer updates back to the original. This of course has its benefits in that you'll be able to have a 'master copy' for your compound clip in the Event Browser and then do whatever you want with the instance on a Project timeline. Just remember the version you put into the Project timeline is it's own thing and no longer relates or updates back to the original in your Event Browser.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:12:25 pm

[Noah Kadner] "The one caveat is that it's a one way trip."

But if you open the Compound clip to the Timeline (Clip/Open in Timeline) it does seem to behave like a good old-fashioned FCP7 sequence would and does update the original.

I can see that of course it wouldn't happen this way if you edited the Compound clip into another Project which might be what you are saying.

Or have I got this completely wrong?

Thanks.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Jun 24, 2011 at 9:03:03 pm

First off, thanks so much everyone for chiming in! I’ll try and answer a few of the questions brought up below:

[Simon Ubsdell] "Do you reckon this could be a template structure that can be adapted for new Events?"

Didn’t even think about that yet but yah. You could have a “MASTER TEMPLATE” Event that you would Duplicate at the the beginning of each job and go from there. Good thought. Thanks.

[Matt Callac] "For me it makes more sense to have an Event=FCP project."

This is exactly what I meant when I said one Event for each Job. Sorry for the confusion as I should have said, like you, treat each Event as a FCP 7 Project.

[Simon Ubsdell] "I reckon that by and large we would want to be creating new Events based on where we want particular jobs to be stored, do you think? I doubt that we'd generally want to have a plurality of Events for one job."

This goes back to the Event=FCP 7 Project idea. Once Apple lets us manually place the Events folders where we want it will make it simpler. Right now a typical folder structure for me in the Finder would be (though simplified for illustration purposes):

DRIVE > CLIENT NAME > PROJECT NAME (ex. Summer Commercial Series) > FCP PROJECTS > Each Individual FCP Project for the Summer Commercial Series (ex. ComA.fcp, ComB.fcp, ComC.fcp)

Actually, let me take a screengrab to make it clearer......... and I’m back, thanks to magic of technology. Here it is:

So once we can put Event Folders where we want, I’ll probably just store them in the FCP Projects Folder.

As for the plurality of Events for one job, I personally like to keep all versions of a particular commercial in one FCP Project so if I stick with the Event=FCP 7 Project than I only have one Event to worry about.

Also, it is finally easy to grab things from past Projects(Events) since every Event on a drive is now readily available in FCP X, searchable and all. So nice.

[Simon Ubsdell] "One question about what you've done here - why have you made folders to put your Keyword Collections in? Isn't this just duplicating the same thing? Surely a Keyword Collection is a "folder" in most practical senses?"

I made Folders to put the Keywords in so I can easily collapse a group of Keywords to hide them. Yes, Keywords are folders but they are only one level deep (you can't put a Keyword in a Keyword). Guess it would be nice to turn a Keyword into a Folder, too, so that anything you put in that folder would get whatever Keyword was associated with that folder. But for now this works.

[Noah Kadner] "The one caveat is that it's a one way trip. In other words once you drag a Compound Clip you've created in the Event Browser into a Project, that becomes a specific instance of the Compound Clip and no longer updates back to the original."

I don’t see this as an issue as it’s just how Sequences and Nest have always worked in FCP 7. Once you drag a Nest into a project it becomes its own thing and I’m fine with that though I’m hoping for some updates to the workflow which I’ll explain in a sec.

But if you just double clip the Compound Clip in the Event Browser, it opens up and acts just like a FCP 7 sequence, updating and all.

Now back to Nests... I would like to finally have an option to make a global Nest, one that I could have in many timelines, change only one instance of it, and it updates all the instances of it.

I also would like to have a shortcut to make a Compound Clip that you made in the timeline a Compound Clip that you could store in an Event. Yes, I can create an Empty Compound Clip and copy the clips I want into it, just seems like an extra step.

tony

Return to posts index

Stefan Buhrmester
on Jun 24, 2011 at 9:04:56 pm

Using Compound Clips as replacement for Sequences was my approach from the very beginning. Don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:47:03 pm

So still trying to find flaws in this approach and not sure if this counts as one.

When you create a Project and add clips from more than one Event in the Project Properties Tab there is a setting called "Reference Events". I have yet to find an equivalent for Compound Clips. You can view a list of the clips in the Compound Clips Properties tab but you can't seem to "Modify Event References" like you can with a FCP X Project.

So I moved Events around to different drives, trying to get the Compound Clip to lose reference to the various clips but haven't gotten it to break yet. So what it seems like with Compound Clips is you may lose the ability to "reorder Events if duplicates are in Events" in order for FCP X to use a certain duplicate and not the first one it finds on its own. Does this make since to anyone?

tony

Return to posts index

John Young
on Jun 25, 2011 at 10:48:49 pm

You would lose the ability move a sequence from one machine to another, right?

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:45:45 am

I thought about this too. Sorry if the comments below are a bit long but I'm just trying to wrap my head around all this and could use some help. Here are the options I have so far (some of these are pushing it but I like to think of all options before I choose one):

- You could make a FCP X Project just for this reason and copy your Compound Clip into it and then share the Project folder, but that would defeat the purpose of not using Projects in the first place. Also, to reduce the Project size you could not copy the Render Files folder.

- You could copy the Events Folder from one machine to the other and you'd be set. One folder to copy, instead of two (if you copied your Event and Project folders) but unless you are referencing clips in your Event, that file would be huge. And haven't had a chance to test it when the media it references is on a different drive than the first computer. Since you can't manually reconnect clips are you out of luck?

- You could create a new Event and copy the Compound Clip into it and just share that new Event. Now, when you do this the only option I have found is to actually copy ALL the original media referenced in that Compound Clip whether you chose to just have FCP X reference your original media to begin with (not copy the original files into the Original Media folder of the Event folder but leave them in a separate location) or not. There is no way to just move the Compound Clip into a new Event and just reference the original Event it came from. If someone has figured this out let me know. I know you can create a new Compound Clip in the new Event and copy and paste of the contents of the original Compound Clip but that is too many steps for something so simple. You can however delete those duplicate files when they finish copying over since you can tell FCP X to just reference the original Event once you open up FCP X again. This logic baffles me and could have easily been remedied with a simple option to reference media when I initially copied the Compound Clip into the new event. Point being, something this simple shouldn't work one way and not another. One plus... this seems like an easy way to consolidate a Compound Clip (AKA: Sequence, AKA: Mini FCP X Project) for backup.

So it seems that using Projects is the easiest way to share but I'm curious how well the files reconnect on different systems. But I still think Projects are redundant as they are implemented now and could easily be merged into Events since they are practically there already with Compound Clips.

This is where I can definitely tell the FCP X team could not and did not settle on a unified interface. There are some great ideas in here... they just need to decide which route to take cause right now there isn't a clear one (just read the manual and you'll see even they have a hard time explaining some things).

Once people start testing this in a multi-system environment, we'll start to find the best way to do this. The sharing projects easily is a big question right now. Since there is no way, yet, that we can manually reconnect clips, does that mean every system has to have the correct Events folder, up to date, in order to open a Project? Example: Editor 02 works on a Project and adds a graphic that Editor 01 doesn't have yet. Editor 02 gives Editor 01 their Project. Editor 01 opens the Project and tells it to reference his Event. Since Editor 01 does not yet have the new graphic it is offline. Editor 01 then adds the new graphic to his Event. What Happens now? Does the graphic automatically reconnect cause it's the same name and size or does Editor 01 have to MANUALLY insert the graphic into the project every place it was used. If we could manually reconnect clips this would be a moot point. Haven't tested this scenario yet.

Here are some related issues I've run into when testing all this:

- You can not just copy an Event, change it's name, and now have two different Events. FCP X will only open one since I guess it sees it as a duplicate Event (which it is). It also seems to "prefer" the Events on your MAC HD which means it will chose that one over one on an external and there doesn't seem to be a way to stop it from doing this.

- Once an Event or Project looses its connection to the media there is no way to manually fix it. It's either find the original Event drive or go hit your head against a wall 'til you pass out.

Why do I see this discussion important... because I don't need unnecessary redundancy in a pro app and need a decent starting workflow for a multi-system environment. Here is where I stand on Projects and Compound Clips (AKA: Mini Projects):

Compound Clips:

Pros
- Live in an Event so only one Main folder to deal with
- Can easily search and organize them thanks to Keywords
- Act just like a Project except for the two cons

Cons
- Not easy to share
- Can't duplicate an Event Folder and rename it to make a copy like you can with Projects

FCP X Projects

Pros
- Relatively easy to share
- Don't need Event to open so you can see past Projects

Cons
- Separate folder from Events
- Every Project is only one timeline (FCP 7 Sequence) therefore you easily have the potential for thousands of these guys pretty fast in a mulit-system workflow.
- Every Project that has ever been created on the drive where the Final Cut Projects folder lives is right there, easily adding clutter if the other Editors didn't organize them well with folders.
- Can't globally search them all (which seems like a huge over-site to me with all the great organization Events have now). If someone knows how to search Projects let me know
- Can't use the new Keywords feature with them though you can add Notes to them

I know much of those cons have been discussed on various threads but putting them here for easy reference to my thoughts.

And with all these great new ways to organize, I do not like the fact that you can just grab an asset from the Finder and drop it into any timeline without some sort of dialog box coming up saying, "Hey there buddy... You've done such a great job organizing so where do ya want to store this (copy the file or reference it) and what Keywords do you want to add to this?" Right now it acts just like FCP 7... no dialog box. So you have to search for the most recent footage and do it then, which as we know, most people won't, therefore that clip will never be easily searchable.

Once again, sorry for the long post but this info is important to my potential workflow. And I want to be clear that I am not mad in the slightest, just frustrated as I try and work stuff out, as I really believe the potential for an "amazing" new NLE is buried deep somewhere in this crevasse called FCP X

Right now, to have some sort of organization, I will create a folder with the EXACT same name as the Event for which it pertains to (or mostly pertains to if I reference more than one Event) and just make folders in there to organize the Projects (Sequences).

I'm starting to see for me that the problem with Events for pros, the way they are set-up now, is that they were made with only RAW FOOTAGE in mind (just like in iMovie), meaning these issues arise because Graphics, Music, Sequences etc. (anything besides RAW FOOTAGE) don't easily (logically) fit into this system when the Projects (Sequences) are separated from them.

Still trying to find someone explain to me why having to worry about TWO master folders for each Job (Event and Projects) is the best route. Maybe it is and I'm just blind to it right now.

tony

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Jun 27, 2011 at 5:03:04 am

So I played around with a couple of old larger FCP 7 projects in FCP X today (just the assets of course). They were both from the same client so instead of making two different Events, I just made one, named it after the Client, and then started splitting things up into the two separate projects from inside the Event. I know some have said that we should treat an Event like a Master Client folder, which houses every project's assets from every project from that client (though not sequences =) in one giant folder, so I'm giving it a shot. I'm also seeing that "One Client per Drive" might become a necessity and not just a preference to keep some sort of sanity until manual location of Event folders is a reality.

As I was organizing some weekend photos in Abode Lightroom, I just keep thinking some sort of "catalog" system in FCP X would go a long way to help with larger projects. Or in the mean time have a way to hide all the other Events and Projects that don't pertain to the job you're on.

tony

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 27, 2011 at 11:58:42 am

Hi Tony, I wanted to ask you how you were dealing with making duplicates of your Compound Clips and how you were then organizing them.

The only way I can see of doing it is to select the Compound Clip in the Browser and make a New Compound Clip from it (Opt/G), open that up in the timeline (I've mapped this to Cmd/O) and then break it apart (Shift/CmdG). It would be nice if there was an easier way to do it.

I am then using keywords to segregate the different versions as appropriate, but moving edited spots between my work-in-progress area and my finised edits area involves editing the keywords which feels like a more laborious process than simply dragging it from one bin to another used to be. (In a sense, "copying" something from one place to another seems to be very easy but "moving" is much less so.) I'm sure there's a better way that I'm not seeing.

I can't help thinking (or maybe that's just wishful thinking!) that we will soon see Projects disappear and some more advanced way of handling sequence organization implemented. As you have pointed out, the inability to organize Projects is a real issue unless you've only got a couple of edits in your chosen Event.

I'm currently working on a typical FCP7 project where I already have 15 different versions of the same 30 second TV spot, with about another 30 versions of other spots in the same project that I need to access, along with their work-in-progress versions (which I like to keep separate from finished versions that go to the client). FCPX doesn't seem to have a way of addressing that need adequately at present but it could be just another thing I'm not understanding right.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 27, 2011 at 12:41:37 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "the inability to organize Projects is a real issue unless you've only got a couple of edits in your chosen Event."

I realize of course that it's perfectly possible to organize your Projects with folders which is fine. But what would be preferable is for the Projects to sit in the Browser (as per your Compound Clips idea) where the power of keywords could get them properly organized - it's almost as if, with Projects, FCPX is stuck in a different, more traditional mindset when the rest of the app has moved on with the whole metadata thing. Whichever way, there feels like an undesirable disconnect here.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Jun 27, 2011 at 8:24:08 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "I wanted to ask you how you were dealing with making duplicates of your Compound Clips and how you were then organizing them."

First off, thanks Simon for continuing the discussion with me and glad I'm not the only one a little confused with the Events and Projects in a pro setting.

As for the duplicate Compound Clips, I actually just do the same thing I always did with FCP 7 sequences: just highlight the Compound Clip in the Event and press Command + D to duplicate it. Then I rename it something like "Commercial edit 02". Plus, it copies all the keywords from the original clip so you don't have to re-keyword anything.

And the more and more I try and work with Projects and Events the more I am with you in saying the FCP X team still does not know what the best workflow is for professionals in FCP X so they left all the iMovie stuff in there AND starting adding things like Compound Clips and storylines even though they are redundant in most areas.

I'm also thinking this may be why there is no XML/EDL support yet because they haven't decided on a final way to create sequences and organize everything.

tony

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 27, 2011 at 8:43:42 pm

[Tony Silanskas] "press Command + D to duplicate it"

Ach, of course, I was being an idiot, thanks for putting me right.

[Tony Silanskas] "they left all the iMovie stuff in there"

I can't help agreeing with you but there is a reasonably well-substantiated claim going around that FCPX shares none of the original code of iMovie. See for example this excellent article:
http://www.dvcreators.net/what-does-the-guy-who-led-the-original-final-cut-...

You have to wonder why so many of the fine details seem to "betray their iMovie origins" (the Project pane most of all, but also less important but no less significant pretty much all the icons used throughout the application), and why you would write completely new code to reduplicate something in a supposedly completely different application designed for a completely different user group, but hey whay do we know?!

[Tony Silanskas] "continuing the discussion"

Hey, thanks for starting it - please keep the ideas coming, they're very helpful.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Jun 27, 2011 at 9:30:11 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "I can't help agreeing with you but there is a reasonably well-substantiated claim going around that FCPX shares none of the original code of iMovie. See for example this excellent article:"

Thanks for the link. Good read. Maybe the code for iMovie needed to be written for the new Lion OS so they started with FCP X. =)

tony

Return to posts index

john spirou
on Jun 29, 2011 at 10:48:27 pm

My wokflow is like yours, i have compount clips inside a project , call them sequenses, but i dont care about music, graphics, photos .... O organize them in itunes, iphoto or aperture.
They are all available right away in the lower left browser ...
No need to take space in events library.

This is way simpler, quicker and i make this for several years now.

Return to posts index

Daniel Bethe
on May 10, 2012 at 4:12:41 am

What's the consensus on these techniques, after more usage? Is it still authoritative? No new gotchas or alternatives?

Return to posts index

Andy DeVries
on Jun 26, 2012 at 9:55:36 pm

I am just diving into FCPX and this is a great approach to a more traditional avid/fcp7-friendly logging/selects workflow. Great!

Keyword-organizing the compound clips so that they'll show up in their predefined folders is a bit laborious but I don't mind it...the extra care up front pays off.

Coming from Avid, I always started by creating selects in sequences which I could load in my source monitor and cut into my main show, hopping back into the selects to review footage with client as needed. In FCP7, I missed this dearly since sequences cannot be loaded into the source viewer.

Using compound clips as my select compilations works great - Loading the compound clips into my clip viewer effectively operates like a source monitor - I can scrub thru my select comp and cut into my project from there. I also love the timeline index as I can quickly see associated clips/markers/favorites and match into them as needed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]