APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

How is this effect called and done ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adrian dun
How is this effect called and done ?
on Jul 12, 2011 at 6:44:28 pm

Hi community,

to start off Iam still a beginner so please bare with me.

Now my question : I just watched the introscene of the Lincoln Lawyer, a new Hollywood movie.
The effect consists of the following: Different images get split and move within a frame. It is kind of hard to explain.
It would be great if anybody could give me a hint.
I attached a picture of the scene I mean, for everybody who hasn't seen this movie.
Uploaded here:

I have right now FinalCut Pro X and Motion 5 available. Is this or something similar possible with these programs or do I need a plugin ?

Thanks very much!

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
Re: How is this effect called and done ?
on Jul 12, 2011 at 8:54:43 pm

As the link you give is a still it's hard to tell...
However, I think I can imagine what this looked like.

It's a blend of two fields, motion graphics and compositing. And yes, you can do this stuff with motion.

But you have to learn practices and techniques, accumulate experience and improve your skills.

There are no buttons or five steps to get you there.

There are generators and templates in FCPX and Motion that do similar things (though probably simplified compared to what you are looking for) there are also websites with collections of more elaborated templates,

But it will never look like what talented people cooked up to match a project's style and needs.

You can look for motion graphics and compositing books on amazon, some are excellent.
You could watch tutorials and start there... Some Adobe after effects tuts are amazing ( even if you don't use it, it will open your mind and give you ideas) some great ones here too on the Cow.
And if you like it, and feel you get it, go get proper training somewhere, or be someone's assistant or probably both.

Once you learn the tools... You just look at these and you figure out a millions way to possibly reconstruct them

Good luck

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

adrian dun
Re: How is this effect called and done ?
on Jul 12, 2011 at 8:58:34 pm

Thank you very much. Until now I've read many tutorials and Iam going into the split-screen solution and for each "screen" maybe a ken-burns effect. I'll definitely check out your link too!

Thank you for this quick reply!

Return to posts index

Kevin P McAuliffe
Re: How is this effect called and done ?
on Jul 12, 2011 at 9:28:12 pm

Hey Adrian,

Here's something I threw together in 5 minutes that should get you moving on the right track. Hope it helps.

Kevin P McAuliffe
Creative COW Trainer
Twitter: @kpmcauliffe

Return to posts index

adrian dun
Re: How is this effect called and done ?
on Jul 13, 2011 at 5:57:36 am


Iam going to try it out!

Return to posts index

Umer Zafar
Re: How is this effect called and done ?
on May 7, 2014 at 8:28:32 am

Hello Kevin,

Good day. I want to ask how a similar effect can be acheived in After Effects? I did it manually with masks but it doesnt give you much freedom and is a pain.
Here is another example of the technique that i assume is with masks and expressions

Your input will be helpful.


Muhammed Umer Zafar
Graphic Designer / Animator
Lahore, Pakistan.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 All Rights Reserved