APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Is it possible to transcode only used proxy media?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Dawson
Is it possible to transcode only used proxy media?
on Dec 23, 2012 at 3:02:41 pm

I'm working with a project where I created proxy media. When the project is done, I'd like the finished piece to be comprised of higher quality prores media. Is there a way in FCPX to re-transcode just the used media clips? I want to transcode from the original raw footage though. Is that possible?

Using FCPX 10.0.7

Ron Dawson
Executive Producer/President
Dare Dreamer Media

Creating films that inspire and encourage the human spirit.

*** Dream Out Loud ***

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Is it possible to transcode only used proxy media?
on Dec 23, 2012 at 3:24:49 pm

It's not quite full media management, but you can duplicate the project with any used clips. Then optimize the duplicated project. Any clip that wasn't used in the original project will not be included in the duplicate.

All the best,

Tom

"Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press
"Complete Training for FCPX" from Class on Demand
Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"

Return to posts index

Ron Dawson
on Dec 23, 2012 at 4:42:28 pm

Thanks. But that doesn't address the issue of what media will FCPX use to create the new optimized clips. If I duplicate the project w/o unused clips, then optimize the media that's left (i.e. the USED clips), is FCPX creating optimized media from the proxy media? If so, that's not good. I want it to create optimized media from the ORIGINAL. But, I didn't import the original, I imported and had the original transcoded to proxy.

I looked at the Events folder in Finder and noticed that the ORIGINAL MEDIA folder has shortcut links back to all the original files. So it would appear that when transcoding proxy media, it will use the shortcut links back to the original to make new files. Does this sound right to you folks?

Ron Dawson
Dare Dreamer Media

*** Dream Out Loud ***

Return to posts index

Ron Dawson
on Dec 23, 2012 at 5:20:30 pm

Now I'm getting more confused....

I disconnected the drive that has the original media (which the events folder points to via shortcut links). I wanted to experiment to see what would happen if I tried to transcode proxy media when the original media was disconnected from the drive. When I re-opened FCPX, all the clips now say "missing file." Which means they were referencing the original media all along. But, my understanding is that as clips are transcoded on import, they are re-linked to the proxy media, which in this case are on a drive that is still connected. Don't know why the clips are referencing the original media (which is on a drive I disconnected).

Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

Ron Dawson
Dare Dreamer Media

*** Dream Out Loud ***

Return to posts index

Ron Dawson
on Dec 23, 2012 at 5:22:06 pm

Okay, I figured it out. In preferences under playback I had "Use original media". Sorry. Still figuring out FCPX.

Ron Dawson
Dare Dreamer Media

*** Dream Out Loud ***

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Dec 23, 2012 at 6:03:16 pm

It will use the original media.

If you're duplicating a project with media you either have to make sure the media is in the events folder, or after you duplicate you have to run the organize media function. If you don't you'll have aliases to where the original media is, not actual video files.

All the best,

Tom

"Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press
"Complete Training for FCPX" from Class on Demand
Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]