APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

scrubbing through clips - play stops every click

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Bowman
scrubbing through clips - play stops every click
on Dec 21, 2012 at 11:43:22 pm

In FCP7 when you load a clip into the viewer to scan it you hit play and it plays and you click further along to jump to another bit and it still keeps playing without being told to do so again.

In FCPX, ignoring the fact I cannot actually scrub through my clip loaded into the viewer but have to scrub through the silly thumbnail thing on the left whilst looking at the viewer on the right... when I am playing the clip and i click further along to jump to another part, it stops playing and i have to hit space again.

Can anyone tell me how to make it carry on playing so i don't have to keep hitting space to make it play every time i jump to a new bit because I am being a bit thick and can't figure out how to turn that feature on.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: scrubbing through clips - play stops every click
on Dec 22, 2012 at 12:43:34 am

That feature isn't there. The skimmer is used to quickly look through material.

All the best,

Tom

"Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press
"Complete Training for FCPX" from Class on Demand
Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Dec 22, 2012 at 12:46:11 am

but skimming means you cannot actually look at the footage, as in see and hear in real time what is going on to select the bit you want, you have to hit play, and every time you jump.

on the timeline you can hit play and jump and it keeps on playing so why won't they put it on the viewer like that, especially as it worked that way on FCP7?

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Dec 22, 2012 at 12:56:24 am

This application works differently.

All the best,

Tom

"Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press
"Complete Training for FCPX" from Class on Demand
Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Dec 22, 2012 at 1:10:06 am

Indeed it does. But not, it would seem, more efficiently.

Return to posts index

Alan Cook
on Dec 22, 2012 at 4:46:44 pm

Hi Julian. Please, please send FCP X feedback to Apple (via the feedback menu option). The only way the new software team will know that they've not implemented something that was useful and efficient, is for a sufficient number of editors/user's to TELL THEM SO! So let your thoughts be known to them. It will help all of us in the long run. Cheers

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Dec 22, 2012 at 5:33:16 pm

i have to admit i am not very good at bothering to give feedback. mostly seems like a waste of time as my voice is very small and i tend to think if someone wants to improve what they do they'll search out ideas (like i go to forums to read and try and learn). But if anything thinks this is a good idea they are more than welcome to do it :) I'll just work with what is there really. Sorry :)

Return to posts index

Alan Cook
on Dec 22, 2012 at 7:43:24 pm

Yeah, it's one thing to go to the forums to look for solutions and work-arounds (and thank goodness for such forums), but when it comes to expressing an important point of view about the current design, we're all helpless to change anything.

So in order to change the Application into a better product it is essential that the designers hear from the people who actually DO the work under tight deadlines etc, etc, AND that sufficient numbers express the same thought or have the same opinion. It seems to me that the FCP X software designers are quite dislocated from real-world editing scenario (that the previous design team was more tuned in to) and need to be constantly reminded about what was good and useful in their legacy product.

So if anything is a waste of time it would be to express that opinion here (on such forums). If you're going to type anything in a box like this one , rather use Apple's one (on their feedback page), where it stands a chance of making a difference... that's my opinion anyway.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 22, 2012 at 5:51:58 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "This application works differently."

Very helpful Tom. ;-) FWIW, I think it used to keep playing when you "clicked ahead". I know that it used to keep playing when you selected to put the main viewer on a second screen. That broke in 10.0.6 when they added the event viewer. Send feedback Julian. Hopefully they'll fix it...:-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]