APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Relative Sizes of Media in HD Project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Dawson
Relative Sizes of Media in HD Project
on Dec 5, 2012 at 5:57:10 pm

In FCP7, if you dropped an SD video into an HD timeline, if the video filled the screen, the scale % in the viewer would be accurate (e.g. 150% etc.) However, I dropped an SD clip into a project whose properties are 1920x1080, and even though it fills the screen, the Transform scale percentage says 100%. Note: I am not talking about the viewer percentage ratio indicated in the upper right-hand corner. I am talking specifically about the Transform parameters in the Inspector window. Is there any way for FCPX to show the actual scale percentage? i.e. a 640x480 video dropped in a 1920x1080 project should have a scale percentage of 300% if it fills the screen. At 100% there should be black space around it.

Ron Dawson
Executive Producer/President
Dare Dreamer Media

Creating films that inspire and encourage the human spirit.

*** Dream Out Loud ***

Return to posts index

Eugeny Korkhin
Re: lative Sizes of Media in HD Project
on Dec 5, 2012 at 7:13:38 pm

You should set Spatial conform of the clip in the Inspector to "None". By default it is set to "Fit".
Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Ron Dawson
on Dec 5, 2012 at 7:26:44 pm

That did the trick. Thanks! Seems like an odd feature to add. I THINK I can understand why they make it like that. But not quite sure.

Ron Dawson
Dare Dreamer Media

*** Dream Out Loud ***

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 6, 2012 at 2:00:39 pm

[Ron Dawson] "That did the trick. Thanks! Seems like an odd feature to add. I THINK I can understand why they make it like that. But not quite sure."

This is actually a cool feature of fcpx. There has also been a feature like this in Pr for a while now called, "Scale to Frame Size".

When you make Proxy files in fcpx, they are sometimes smaller than the native frame size of the footage.

For example, if you make proxies from a 1080 file, the proxy frame size might be 540 (1/2 size).

That setting allows you to immediately switch a 540 frame size to a 1080 frame size without adjusting any of the motion parameters. That is to say, if you scaled the 540 frame by 50%, the same ratio will stand when you switch to the 1080 footage. Otherwise, you'd have to adjust each and every parameter back to the proper ratio.

It makes things much easier when working with different sized proxies.

Return to posts index

Ron Dawson
on Dec 6, 2012 at 2:28:56 pm

Okay. That makes sense. Wow. Very clever. I've had the re-adjusting issue in the past when I've replaced temporarily low res images with the high res counterparts and everything was off. Nice! Does anyone know if Premiere Pro has that feature?

Ron Dawson
Dare Dreamer Media

*** Dream Out Loud ***

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 6, 2012 at 2:52:42 pm

Hi.

As mentioned in my first response, Pr has had this capability for a while.

It's called "scale to frame size".

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]