APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Canon C100 PF30 clips in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
olof ekbergh
Canon C100 PF30 clips in FCPX
on Nov 28, 2012 at 1:58:04 pm

I just got the new C100. I love the camera, fantastic images.

But just a word of caution if you shoot 1080 29.97 progressive (and 25 frame as well I think). Canon does not use the same version of AVCHD as Sony and others, it is 24mb/s but they dont tag the PSF files so that FCPX can interpret them as progressive.

This will mess you up when you export, the solution is to either re wrap before import, using ClipWrap, or to change the field interpretation in the clip inspector. You can batch convert this by highlighting all the clips you just imported or one by one. The clips come in tagged 1080i.

If you drop these clips into a manually set 30P project they should be interpreted as progressive, but the first time I did this it did not work.

This is just a heads up, it is easy to deal with.

Here are some clips from the C100:

https://vimeo.com/54304912

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Canon C100 PF30 clips in FCPX
on Nov 28, 2012 at 2:41:04 pm

[olof ekbergh] "Canon does not use the same version of AVCHD as Sony and others, it is 24mb/s but they dont tag the PSF files so that FCPX can interpret them as progressive."

Have you installed the Canon XF plug-in? If so, is that the normal case with the plug-in installed.

The codec is not AVCHD. It is a 4:2:2 MPEG2 variant, just like XDCAM and the same as is used in Canon's XF video cameras.

Technically 1080PsF is interlaced 1080i, not Progressive in the sense of the type of signal it is. It's only progressive at the imager. Although PsF can easily be treated as P, broadcast output cards and monitors actually see these as quite different signals. So 1080Psf=1080i.

FWIW - it's my understanding from Apple that there's still work to be done by Canon on the plug-in/importer.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 28, 2012 at 2:44:03 pm

[Oliver Peters] "The codec is not AVCHD. It is a 4:2:2 MPEG2 variant, just like XDCAM and the same as is used in Canon's XF video cameras."

Oops. I'm wrong. I work with the C300 a lot and didn't realize the C100 was using a different codec.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Nov 28, 2012 at 5:00:47 pm

Olof,

This is off topic - I have a question:

In my clip Inspector/Info pane (Settings View) I don't see a Timecode Display popup as displayed in your image. Am I missing something?

thanks.

-paul.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Nov 28, 2012 at 8:49:28 pm

THe upper right timecode is the duration of the clip. In FCPX 10.0.6 anyway.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Nov 28, 2012 at 11:31:24 pm

Olof,

I'm referring to the Timecode Display popup menu ...

thx.

-paul.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Nov 29, 2012 at 1:33:07 am

As far as I remember this has always been there.

Is it possible your clips don't have embedded TC?

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 29, 2012 at 6:01:21 pm

[olof ekbergh] "But just a word of caution if you shoot 1080 29.97 progressive (and 25 frame as well I think). Canon does not use the same version of AVCHD as Sony and others, it is 24mb/s but they dont tag the PSF files so that FCPX can interpret them as progressive."

Yes, I went through this about a year ago with my Canon S100-
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/6302

I bought ClipWrap and have been using it ever since. It solves this problem and also allows me to pre-name my files, organize, and toss out the trash files before I edit. I still backup the original card and keep the file structure in tact, but I never use it. I also edit the files on my 2011 MBP i7 and external RAID 1 enclosure without optimizing and it works just fine.

At some point, I will need to get a second camera which I'd prefer be very similar to my Canon S100 (I'm running out of learning curve time), so I will take a look at the C100.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 29, 2012 at 6:20:32 pm

[Dave Gage] "At some point, I will need to get a second camera which I'd prefer be very similar to my Canon S100 (I'm running out of learning curve time), so I will take a look at the C100."

Okay, never mind. I just Googled the C100. That's a big boy camera and way out of my price range. I'm in the $700- $1000 range for my needs. Very cool though.

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]