APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Magnetic Timeline and Broadcast Programming

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Carey
Magnetic Timeline and Broadcast Programming
on Oct 31, 2012 at 4:59:37 pm

Hello All,

I've read thru the COW on magnetic timeline discussions but I still haven't found an answer to my delima.

Our house does weekly broadcast programming with drop dead set timing. Before using FCP X, we'd edit about 3/4 a show before setting our show ending. Basically, I have a show that ends at 29:15, so I'd drop my show close to end at 29:15 and back time to fill the area (it nice to have this flexibility and not shoot based on scripts).

We haven't made the jump to FCP X because we haven't found an easy way to do this. Its been an experience to say the least when it comes to timing a show. Too much floating around. While I love the idea of the magnetic timeline, its been a real pain to edit with our workflow.

Has anyone dealt with this?

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Magnetic Timeline and Broadcast Programming
on Oct 31, 2012 at 5:29:13 pm

You can create a gap clip to place in the primary storyline up to the point where your close goes. Then you can use the overwrite command when editing to overwrite the gap until you get to the end. It's kind of the same way you'd edit on FCP (only you don't have to add slug at the beginning).

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Nov 4, 2012 at 12:18:37 pm

[Andy Neil] "You can create a gap clip to place in the primary storyline up to the point where your close goes. Then you can use the overwrite command when editing to overwrite the gap until you get to the end. It's kind of the same way you'd edit on FCP (only you don't have to add slug at the beginning).
"

The easier way which doesn´t force you to overwrite is to make a GAP clip or even a title clip of the needed length and drag it below the primary to have it as a guideline. Then simply turn it off with "V" so it doesn´t need rendering (if you use a title clip)

I did that first. Now I just keep an eye at the bottom of the timeline where you always see the total time of your project anyway.

We are having very often frame-accurate runtimes with no issues at all.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2012 at 7:28:46 pm

It's sort of different now as you can hold all connected clips in place with a modifier if you'd like.

Controlling the primary is controlling time in FCPX, and in my professional opinion, you just need to learn the best way to do it. It takes a little while to figure out what's best for you. At a very basic level, it is still overwrite or insert editing, just like FCP7. When you insert to the primary, time moves, of you don't, time stands still. Adding connected clips is similar to overwriting to tracks in FCP7.

Another way would be to set your show close to time in the primary after a gap clip.

Then compound that gap clip.

Then open the compound and edit in there. It looks like this, you will see the fixed range of the compound clip:

fixedtime.png

When you step back to the Project, your show close will still be in the same position. if you know you're done, you can break apart the compound.

Or you can avoid editing in the primary all together if it's a big deal to you. I, personally, don't like to work that way, but it is doable.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Oct 31, 2012 at 8:10:41 pm

I think Jeremy is on to something. Thinking further, start with placing your ending and putting a gap clip between the end of the edit so far and the beginning of the ending. Then CONNECT your next edit to the beginning of the gap clip (or over the tail-end of the last edit of the main show). When you connect the next clip, you may know you can hold the G key and drag the second connected clip up against the first connected clip and they become one secondary storyline where you can roll edits and the like without affecting the timing on the primary storyline. Rinse and Repeat.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 31, 2012 at 10:27:39 pm

I'll go even farther and make a very simple claim.

There's nothing you can efficiently edit in a program that doesn't have "magnetism" that you can't also edit equally as efficiently in a program like X that does.

Magnetism got a lot of discussion in the early days of FCP-X because of three things.

It was different
It was widely mis-understood
and it was a very easy place for people who were upset at how different X was - to focus their anger at the stripping away of the value of their prior hard-won expertise.

The truth about magnetism in a timeline? It's not really a particularly big deal at all.

For nearly all editors, it rapidly "disappears" in the sense that it just becomes what you expect. You use it when it helps, and disable it when it conflicts. Kinda like the Caps Lock key.

No big deal.

Period.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2012 at 11:41:58 pm

[Bill Davis] "There's nothing you can efficiently edit in a program that doesn't have "magnetism" that you can't also edit equally as efficiently in a program like X that does.

Magnetism got a lot of discussion in the early days of FCP-X because of three things.

It was different
It was widely mis-understood
and it was a very easy place for people who were upset at how different X was - to focus their anger at the stripping away of the value of their prior hard-won expertise.

The truth about magnetism in a timeline? It's not really a particularly big deal at all.

For nearly all editors, it rapidly "disappears" in the sense that it just becomes what you expect. You use it when it helps, and disable it when it conflicts. Kinda like the Caps Lock key.

No big deal.

Period."

You have to admit though, the flexible connections and multichannel audio make things much much better (and easier to manipulate).

Multichannel audio was a pain in the rear. If you didn't use multichannel audio, than it wasn't a pain in the rear.

Trimming primary clips with connections could also be a pain in the rear if you didn't do some connection Jiu Jitsu before trimming.

10.0.6 has made things much more functional in day to day editing.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 1, 2012 at 6:12:06 am

I feel the real issue was connected clips. And connected clips are a neccessary evil of magnetism.

But I'd say that 10.0.6 fixed most of the big problems of connected clips with the addition of flexible clip connections.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Nov 1, 2012 at 10:23:46 am

I really like the magnetic timeline. I now depend on it and it would hurt my brain to back. However, there's one area that continues to confuse me and that's moving layers up and down. I sometimes get unexpected results. Yes, I'll move with the shift key to keep it vertically aligned but still will (sometimes) get unpredictable results. My wish if for a keyboard command where I could hight a clip and, with the keyboard, simply move it up and down among other connected clips.

What I REALLY want, though, is to understand what's happening and how to control it but I can't find an explanation for what the interface is thinking.

Don

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 1, 2012 at 4:09:35 pm

[Don Smith] "I sometimes get unexpected results. Yes, I'll move with the shift key to keep it vertically aligned but still will (sometimes) get unpredictable results. My wish if for a keyboard command where I could hight a clip and, with the keyboard, simply move it up and down among other connected clips."

Ditto.

We also need mechanism to move the selection box via keyboard so that I can select different clips without touching the mouse.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 1, 2012 at 4:36:00 pm

By which you mean the "override connections" command Brett?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Nov 1, 2012 at 4:59:09 pm

I'm sure he meant "override clip connections" since flexible clip connections has been around a lot longer.

Andy

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 1, 2012 at 5:06:47 pm

I get a bit confused by some of the "parlance" do you mean by that the option command click to move the connector?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Nov 1, 2012 at 5:31:30 pm

OPT+CMD clicking to move the anchor for a connect clip is the feature called: Flexible Clip Connections

Holding the ~ key while slipping, sliding, or moving a clip in the primary without affecting connected clips is the feature called: Override Clip Connections.

Brett was most likely talking about the latter which is new to 10.0.6.

Hope that clears it up.

Andy

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 1, 2012 at 5:32:38 pm

Cheers

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 1, 2012 at 7:10:13 pm

[Andy Neil] "OPT+CMD clicking to move the anchor for a connect clip is the feature called: Flexible Clip Connections

Holding the ~ key while slipping, sliding, or moving a clip in the primary without affecting connected clips is the feature called: Override Clip Connections.

Brett was most likely talking about the latter which is new to 10.0.6.

Hope that clears it up."

Sorry, it was my bad.

On this site (http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/whats-new/), it says this:

"Flexible Clip Connections
Control how Connected Clips respond to changes in your timeline. Choose to keep them connected to clips as you edit or — with a simple modifier key — have them remain in place when slipping, sliding, or moving clips in the Primary Storyline."

I was talking about the ~ modifier when I said flexible clip connections.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 2, 2012 at 1:56:15 pm

Huh. I've never heard the phrase flexible clip connections until Apple called it that on their list of new features. What was flexible before? Nothing. You could change or adjust the connection point with cmd+option click, but I wouldn't have used the phrase flexible in conjunction with that.

But yes I was referring to the override function. But the real point of my post was that the real problem many were having with FCP X wasn't magnetism. Magnetism was in fact just full time ripple and can be overridden with the position tool in most circumstances. The real problem was clip connections which were not overridden with the P tool. But the latest update fixes the majority of the issues I had with connections. I'd love a toggle however instead of a modifier. When slipping/sliding I NEVER want the clip connections to move. And probably 90% of the time I'd like to move my clips independently of connections. The only real need I see for connections is during ripple (magnetic) functions when clips are being shuffled around as a result of OTHER parts of the timeline being adjusted. And FCP functioned this way without any connections at all. Unless you had a track locked.

So really, for the way I work, I don't even see the need for connections at all. I guess they're helpful if you break apart audio, but I've yet to ever find a need to do that. If I could toggle the tilde key to on, I could pretty much ignore connection points as long as they were at the default and hadn't been adjusted to some weird spot like at the end of a clip

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 2, 2012 at 4:09:46 pm

[Bret Williams] "If I could toggle the tilde key to on, I could pretty much ignore connection points as long as they were at the default and hadn't been adjusted to some weird spot like at the end of a clip"

Supposedly, you can press the tilde key and while holding it down, option click on a clip to keep persistent mode. Tap tilde again to turn it off. It's not documented, and some folks can't get it to work consistently, but I guess you can try...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 2, 2012 at 4:11:59 pm

Really? Cool. Gonna try that. If that works I could turn off the display of connections and clean up the interface.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 2, 2012 at 4:17:06 pm

[Bret Williams] "Really? Cool. Gonna try that. If that works I could turn off the display of connections and clean up the interface."

I haven't tried it either, heard about it on facebook of all places. Here's a video someone made about it, though it seems preety self explanatory.. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Nov 2, 2012 at 4:33:23 pm

I've tried it. It works for me.

Andy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 2, 2012 at 4:17:00 pm

[Bret Williams] "Really? Cool. Gonna try that. If that works I could turn off the display of connections and clean up the interface."

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 2, 2012 at 4:39:25 pm

works for me...this was my biggest feature request..thank you Apple people..now where's the bloody view or hide connectors command again?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Nov 2, 2012 at 4:41:06 pm

At the bottom right of the timeline, you can hide connections by clicking the settings button down there and unchecking the box.

Andy

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 2, 2012 at 5:51:58 pm

That's it...is there a shortcut or toggle key for this?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 2, 2012 at 6:17:47 pm

[James Ewart] "That's it...is there a shortcut or toggle key for this?"

Look in the keyboard shortcut editor.

It's very easy to search for things.

Command-option-k brings the shortcut editor up.

As far as hiding/showing connections as a shortcut, the simple is answer is, no.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 2, 2012 at 6:29:22 pm

Thanks Jeremy I had looked an not found but wondered whether there might be one just as we have discovered that it is possible to toggle on and off override connections ...you never know what they might have hidden.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]