APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

question about compound clips in 10.0.6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Trowbridge
question about compound clips in 10.0.6
on Oct 31, 2012 at 4:12:34 pm

I used to create a series of graphics in X by creating a compound clip consisting of a background texture, a logo with alpha channel and text. Then I would just copy it multiple times break it apart and change the text. Easy way to make graphics.

Is this still doable? I know that in 10.0.6 any change you make changes all the instances. Is there a way around this? I'm kind of screwed if I can't

Shane

Return to posts index

Kyle Bass
Re: question about compound clips in 10.0.6
on Oct 31, 2012 at 4:47:33 pm

If you do this on a regular basis, it would benefit you to make a Motion template and publish it to the effects browser in FCPX.

However, all you need to do is add the unmodified compound clip to the timeline, then select it in the timeline. Go the Clip menu > Reference New Parent Clip. This makes an independent copy of the compound clip. That is, any changes you make to the this new compound clip do not affect the original compound clip in the event browser or any other project.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Oct 31, 2012 at 7:38:13 pm

I'm still on 10.0.4 and won't have time to upgrade for a while, so I'm taking notes.

My situation is very similar, but different. What I've been doing up to this point (pre-10.0.6) is to use Compound Clips to house my standard intros and outros and lower 3rds, etc. To avoid CC complications, I've just been opening the CC in a timeline and then copying and pasting the content into the project where it's needed without actually bringing in the CC.

Even with the new CC behaviors, I can't see how the CC would know the difference with copy and paste unless it has some weird compound clip memory associated with the paste (which I just made up, so it's not likely).

Any one see a problem with this method?

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2012 at 7:44:37 pm

[Dave Gage] "Even with the new CC behaviors, I can't see how the CC would know the difference with copy and paste unless it has some weird compound clip memory associated with the paste"

Can you explain what you mean here?

if you copy and paste a Compound clip, and you change something in one of those compound clips, both compounds will reflect the change.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2012 at 8:01:15 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Dave Gage] "Even with the new CC behaviors, I can't see how the CC would know the difference with copy and paste unless it has some weird compound clip memory associated with the paste"

Can you explain what you mean here?

if you copy and paste a Compound clip, and you change something in one of those compound clips, both compounds will reflect the change."

I think i know what you mean.

If you paste the CONTENTS of a compound, FCPX does not remember that it used to be in a compound clip.

It simply treats it like any copy/paste.

If you make a new compound of that material, it will make a brand new compound.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Oct 31, 2012 at 8:08:18 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "if you copy and paste a Compound clip"
I'm not copying the whole Compound Clip, only the content within. Sometimes I even just copy and paste the parts from a recent similar Project.

In fact, because I do the same type instruction tutorials over and over again, I've recently created a Project Template with a gap clip for the middle content that I can duplicate, re-name, and work on top of. This seems to be the easiest and fastest.

Thanks,
Dave

[If you have a minute, could you take a look at this thread? I'd love to have your take on these eSATA issues-
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/14591 ]

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2012 at 4:57:32 pm

[Shane Trowbridge] "Is this still doable? I know that in 10.0.6 any change you make changes all the instances. Is there a way around this? I'm kind of screwed if I can't"

You have to make a new compound clip to do this.

An easy way to do this is to assign a keyboard shortcut to "Reference New Parent Clip".

This will create a new Parent compound in the Event and keep all those compounds separate.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Oct 31, 2012 at 4:59:26 pm

I agree with Kyle. The best way to do this is to make a custom title in Motion and publish it to FCPX.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2012 at 5:04:07 pm

[Shane Trowbridge] "I used to create a series of graphics in X by creating a compound clip consisting of a background texture, a logo with alpha channel and text. Then I would just copy it multiple times break it apart and change the text. Easy way to make graphics. "

Actually, the more I think about this, if you break apart and change the text, then there's no relationship to the original compound clip.

You must break apart first, if you do, you're fine.

If you recompound those, it will ask you to make a new compound.

Hope that makes sense.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Shane Trowbridge
on Oct 31, 2012 at 5:15:11 pm

How do you break apart compound clips now? I don't see that option when right clicking on the compound clip

Shane

Return to posts index

Shane Trowbridge
on Oct 31, 2012 at 5:15:29 pm

actually nevermind. I just found it in the menu.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Shane

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2012 at 5:18:40 pm

Command-shift-g in case anyone is reading this later.

Which is now for them.

:-D

Return to posts index

Tony Sarafoski
on Oct 31, 2012 at 6:12:37 pm

why would Apple take away the right mouse click option?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2012 at 6:35:19 pm

Not sure. That contextual menu has changed a little bit since 10.0.5.

Keyboard shortcuts are easier. ;)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
podcasts
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]