APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Multicam fine cutting

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
craig slattery
Multicam fine cutting
on Oct 4, 2012 at 12:42:23 am

Can anyone help? Cutting a two camera interview in Multicam. The sync has been cut, the content of the interview I'm happy with. The cuts back and forth between interviewer and interviewee are in the right places. However on some edits the camera is re-framing or the interviewee is looking at his notes. I want to slip the video to find better reaction shots, a nod, a smile etc. In legacy FCP I would use the slip tool and slide the video to find the right reaction. Is this possible in FCPX?

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: Multicam fine cutting
on Oct 4, 2012 at 2:37:31 am

Any cut in a multicam edit can be slipped around with the trim tool- T key.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 4, 2012 at 4:20:39 am

Just to make this a bit clearer...

Tap the T key to enter TRIM mode.
Place your cursor on any cut point.
When you see the double bracket cursor, you can hold down the mouse button and "roll" the edit point right or left to simultaneously shorten and lengthen the two clips involved.
Since you're rolling both an in and out point simultaneously, you aren't changing the position of any of your clips' but just the point where one shot changes to the other.

Hope that helps.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

craig slattery
on Oct 4, 2012 at 7:52:03 am

Unfortunately no, that's not what I mean. Selecting the T key to enter Trim mode, moves the edit points and allows the slip mode. I want to leave the cuts points I just want to slip the video in the BRoll angle without moving the audio.
For example, the interviewer needs to smile or react to a coment but at that exact point he is looking at his notes. I want to hear the interviewee but slip the interviewer clip to a point where he looks engaged. In fcp7 the slip key would activate this very fundamental move in multiclip editing.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Oct 4, 2012 at 10:33:59 am

Treat the MultiCam clip like any other and simply lay the new broll shot where you need it on top of the MC clip as an attached clip.

Or, you want that cut shot in your MC clip? Simply double-click the MC to open it in the timeline and add another copy of the clip that contains the broll shot that you want and then it'll appear as a an angle in the angle editor. Cut to it as video only.

Don Smith
NewsVideo.com

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

craig slattery
on Oct 4, 2012 at 12:19:30 pm

[Don Smith] "Treat the MultiCam clip like any other and simply lay the new broll shot where you need it on top of the MC clip as an attached clip."

That's what I thought, shame multiclips would be fantastic if they could do this one simple thing. Cant believe its not possible to do within the MC. Basic thing really, I cut 100s of interviews and I would pretty much slip the B roll on every cut.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 4, 2012 at 5:09:50 pm

I'm sorry, Bill described a roll edit. If you want to slip or slide it works just like FCP 7. But instead of S, you use T.

Place your mouse over the clip (not the edit point) while in T mode. You'll see the cursor change. That's slip mode. Hold down option for slide mode. Simple.

However, if you expand the audio you'll see the audio keeps it's ins/outs and moves with the video. turn down the audio for that clip and roll out the audio from the previous clip to keep everything neat and tidy.

Alternatively, duplicate the clip and place it above itself and turn off it's audio, and slip to your hearts desire, without having to futz with anything else. Not as neat and tidy, but for me it's more apparent to another editor or yourself at a later date, what you did. Also leaves the original cut in tact beneath.

Make sense?

Return to posts index

craig slattery
on Oct 4, 2012 at 5:36:37 pm

[Bret Williams] "However, if you expand the audio you'll see the audio keeps it's ins/outs and moves with the video. turn down the audio for that clip and roll out the audio from the previous clip to keep everything neat and tidy."

Brilliant, that's exactly what I mean. Works well thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]