APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Relinking this!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Davidson
Relinking this!
on Sep 18, 2012 at 12:04:54 am

Has anyone encountered an issue with relinking a file only to be told the file size is wrong or that the length has changed? This is happening randomly with media that is referenced and just moved to a different HD. Not really sure what the problem is here, but even replacing the alias link doesn't work within the event on the finder level.

This is a pretty gnarly issue that seems to be random and requires a shot to be re-edited into a project.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: Relinking this!
on Sep 18, 2012 at 12:24:30 am

Certain other apps can inadvertently cause this. For example, if you open a clip in Adobe Premiere or After Effects without turning off the Write XMP ID To Files On Import preference, FCP X will generally refuse to relink. Also, any time you change the frame rate or audio configuration, relinking will typically fail as well.

Return to posts index

Tomas Rugevicius Rugys
on Nov 10, 2012 at 11:02:15 pm

Hi there!

It looks like I probaly find the least work intensive workaround to this problem. At least in case of close encounters with Premiere Pro or Aftereffects.

I messed with Premiere Pro CS6 XML project exchange with a help of Xto7. Projects translated well. Opened in PP. But back home in FCP X I find a lo of red "Media modified" screens... PP did it's black "Write XMP ID" metadata change job. If you got PP on a system with FCP X - turn off this feature imediately. It's easily findable in PP's settings. In Aftereffects too!

But fortunately I had previously exported FCP X's event as XML. And it linked to the changed files! And it linked to spoiled events exported as XML's and imported back to FCPX.

By the way, in this situation in FCP X 10.0.6 reimporting media from Camera Archive does'n help. The moment FCP X daclares it "modified" again - it dissapears from Event's Original folder at all!

So, workaroud looks like this:

1. You see "Media modified" sign. You are scared.
2. Do not freak out. Maybe this will work: export Event with "modified" media as XML.
3. Move original Event to another folder, usually - "Final Cut Events Not in Use".
4. Import this XML back to FCP X.
5. Now move or copy the media from original Event's "Original Media" folder to newly imported XML's "Original Media" folder.
6. At this point most of media in XML's Event should be self reconnected.
7. Open the reimported XML's Event's "Original Media" folder - there should be some media files with "(fcp1).mov" suffix. Rename them to "(id).mov" suffix.
8. Mostly all media should be relinked now.
9. If there are still some unlinked files, in FCP X open Inspector's Info tab and turn on "Show File Status" mode with little Gear icon at the lower right corner. Now you can see the exact name of the media file should be the clip is linked to.
10. Go to Original Media folder inside the Event and look for those file names - maybe you should add or remove some "(id)" suffixes.
11. If you do not see files with such names - go to Import Media and import media files again.
12. If all mentioned above doesn't help - just fill the feedback form in "Final Cut Pro" menu.

They ARE LISTENING. They contacted me recently about some bug I found.

Do the feedback. It works.

By the way - you loose all Smart Collections through roundtriping to XML and back, but it's better than manual replacement of the media in feature film projet... :)

I hope it will help. Please spread around this technique while FCP X guys are fixing it up.

tomsia.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Sep 18, 2012 at 12:55:16 am

I had a similar issue a while ago... I checked the backup of the file from a few days earlier, and I noticed that the source clips modification date changed. I guess maybe another app wrote some metadata to the file as in James' case. ?? Who knows... Not sure how it happened. I just replaced the clip I was using with the backup and it worked like a charm. Hopefully they'll address this as it really shouldn't happen.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Sep 18, 2012 at 1:55:58 am

Thanks guys. I don't believe I used any other apps on the files in question. Let's hope relinking gets some additional love on the next update.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 18, 2012 at 12:32:30 pm

FCP X relinking only works if everything is the same - name, TC, length, file size, etc. Since this happens when you move the files between hard drives, could it be related to the format of the drive? For example HFS+ versus FAT32 or NTFS? Or a network versus local drive. This could result in the bit/byte size be reported as a different size.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 20, 2012 at 9:16:57 pm

I'm going to second Oliver's suggestion.

I have a drive on my internal system that I wasn't careful about formatting properly. Whenever I go to write a file to it, I have to wade through a permissions vetting to gain access.

I understand why file sharing and premissions management is complex in the brave new world of "connected everything" - but one small inadvertent miss-step can really frost your workflow.

And since X likes it's pathways and metadata ID tag matching to be pristine, I suspect that's where your problems lie.

I'd also second the plea for you to drop back and let us know if and how you solve it.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Sep 20, 2012 at 9:21:39 pm

I think the issues came from moving files and renaming them on the finder level. X didnt like that for some files. It's a legacy issue that won't likely pop up again now that we're all working over ethernet/NAS/Prores and have consistent file naming conventions.

The unfortunate solution was that we just re-edit the elements into the project. Wasn't that big a deal, just a little frustrating.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 21, 2012 at 4:32:12 pm

[John Davidson] "I think the issues came from moving files and renaming them on the finder level. "

B-I-N-G-O.

In a relational database, the locations of referenced assets are absolutely critical.

In Legacy, moving files via the finder was trivial, since it was basically a flat file structure based on simple file pointers that were trivial to re-link if disrupted.

X is a relational spiderweb, which provides HUGE power and efficiency - but applies a major penalty if you break strands in the web.

In X, using the MOVE command instead of the finder to manage your projects and events maintains all links accurately. Using the finder to move things puts you at huge risk of disconnection.

Avoiding finder moves of assets is a major thing you have to "relearn" when transitioning from Legacy to X.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Sep 25, 2012 at 1:11:19 pm

which means it's not safe to rename clips...in which case why do they make it so easy t do so even including a "rename" function I wonder??

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]