APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Forward Select Tool in FCP X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernie Munick
Forward Select Tool in FCP X?
on Aug 8, 2012 at 7:21:35 pm

The ol' tttt (four t's) in FCP 7 would select everything to the right (forward select). Is there a similar command/shortcut in FCP X?

thx

Return to posts index

John Moffat
Re: Forward Select Tool in FCP X?
on Aug 8, 2012 at 8:04:36 pm

Park your playhead before the clips you want to select. Go to the timeline index and press "shift/alt/down" to selects all clips to the right. (or "shift+alt+down" to select all clips to the left.)

Once the clips are highlighted select the position tool and punch in the duration you want your clips moved by.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 9, 2012 at 2:11:39 am

John, your index method sounds awesome. I'll have to try it.

Ernie, this will sound weird, but what are you trying to do?

If you need to move all clips right, and in addition to John's advice, there are a few ways to do this.

The fastest way is to put your playhead at the beginning of the first clip you want to move right and hit option-w to insert a gap. You can then select that gap, hit control-d for duration and type a duration in tc.

Alternatively you can select the first clip in the primary you want to move, then shift select the last clip on the primary. This will select all clips on the primary you want to move. Hit the p key for position tool and drag the clips to the right.

All connected clips that are connected on the selected primary clips will move as well.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 9, 2012 at 3:47:10 am

Shift Z, draw marquee, p drag (or type number).

Return to posts index

Ernie Munick
on Aug 9, 2012 at 10:16:22 am

Thanks, Jeremy, and thanks to everyone for the tips.

It's just a workflow thing for me. SOMETHING IS ABOUT TO BE INSERTED, I WANT SPACE HERE, A NICE CLEAN BREAK, just a personal thing.

Sounds as though the gap is the way. Still haven't used or figured out the placeholder.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Aug 9, 2012 at 3:29:42 pm

Nope I have yet to be enlightened as to the need for placeholder instead of a gap...I'm sure there is a reason yet to be revealed!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 9, 2012 at 6:08:06 pm

For clients.

Return to posts index

Ernie Munick
on Aug 14, 2012 at 3:40:11 pm

Thanks, Jeremy. I'm using the position tool, as you recommend.

I'm gonna need months before deciding which version of FCP is better, 7 or X

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Aug 9, 2012 at 5:35:40 am

Return to posts index

gabe miller
on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:49:33 pm

It sounds like editors who have been using FCP X have found ways around the select tracks forward or backward tool, but I'm not there yet.

Adding a gap addresses half of what this tool does for me in FCP 7. What I'm looking for is a way to select every clip to the right of the where the gap is so I can make that gap smaller (creating a gap works fine to add space); and, I'd like to be able to close the gap completely, sans having to minimize the timeline, marquee everything to the right, and then expand the timeline again to more accurately place the selected clips. In FCP 7 this was as simple as tapping T twice, and positioning the selected clips; deleting the gap was just as easy: simply select the empty space in the timeline and hit the delete key. I'd like to think Apple wouldn't create an "revolutionary" program that employs more steps to accomplish a function than FCP 7 does, so my guess is the answer is in my blind spot.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:59:00 pm

[gabe miller] "Adding a gap addresses half of what this tool does for me in FCP 7. What I'm looking for is a way to select every clip to the right of the where the gap is so I can make that gap smaller"

If you have a gap in the primary and want to make it smaller, simply trim it, or select it and hit command-d and type a new duration (or delete it).

This will make the gap smaller/disappear. Is this what you mean?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gabe miller
on Jan 22, 2013 at 5:34:42 pm

Exactly. Shortly after posting my question I realized how to do it, it seems just a simple, only through a different lens.

Thank you.

gabe

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 22, 2013 at 5:40:14 pm

One you get over the "it's different" hurdle you are on your way there. I started two projects in FCPX and scrapped them and went back to 7 and then felt like I did not want to be defeated by it and could not believe Apple could come up with something so bad. But once I got over trying to force it to do things my way and accepted doing things its way I was suddenly emancipated. I can jump into Premiere and work the same way (largely) and even Avid (although less so because I like drag and drop).

It's so simple but you have to give in a bit...may I recommend the Ripple Training tutorials. They helped me enormously and not expensive.

Return to posts index

gabe miller
on Jan 22, 2013 at 5:53:50 pm

Thanks. I'm starting to like it more and more.

One thing I miss and am not finding in X is the ability to apply color labels to clips in a collection. I'm thinking it's probably because they'll prove to no longer be necessary once I understand the program better, but for now, when making a choice from a collection of more than 5 takes, it's very helpful to be able to mark my selects with a color, so I'm hoping X maintained this function and I'm overlooking it. Is this possible in X?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 22, 2013 at 6:37:01 pm

[gabe miller] " it's very helpful to be able to mark my selects with a color, so I'm hoping X maintained this function and I'm overlooking it. Is this possible in X?"

No, but it would be great addition. I'd love to be able to color label Roles so that in the timeline, you can tell at a glance what Role is where.

Adobe Premiere has great color label capabilities.

Please send feedback about this. It's a much requested feature.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

James Ewart
It's the magnetic timeline
on Jan 22, 2013 at 5:08:08 pm

This was the thing that troubled me most at the outset. Gaps for sure is the first thing that helped but as everything is connected to the primary storyline as you close or expand the gap in either direction everything will move with it...either left or right. It seems counterintuitive at first and then it suddenly seems to make a lot of sense.

But this solution from another post is also rather cool

"Park your playhead before the clips you want to select. Go to the timeline index and press "shift/alt/down" to selects all clips to the right. (or "shift+alt+down" to select all clips to the left.)

Once the clips are highlighted select the position tool and punch in the duration you want your clips moved by."

I have not found myself able to punch in the numbers but it works manually and in essence does the same thing in a more FCP7 way.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: It's the magnetic timeline
on Jan 22, 2013 at 5:24:07 pm

[James Ewart] "I have not found myself able to punch in the numbers but it works manually and in essence does the same thing in a more FCP7 way."

When you have clips selected, simply type "+" or "-" and then numbers to move them that specific number of hours/minutes/seconds/frames. So, "+ 212" to move all selected clip forward 2 seconds 12 fames, or "- 212" to move backward. Practice this to see how this behaves.

[James Ewart] "Gaps for sure is the first thing that helped but as everything is connected to the primary storyline as you close or expand the gap in either direction everything will move with it...either left or right. It seems counterintuitive at first and then it suddenly seems to make a lot of sense."

I guess I am confused. If you don't want to move anything, don't move it. If you do need to move everything to right/left, then you can move it. Using the position tool helps to keep things in place by adding a gap but not changing timing, in essence you are overwriting with a gap. The position tool is a toggle. You can trim with it on or off and the timeline will behave differently.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

ted irving
on Jul 12, 2013 at 2:57:49 pm

is there an actual close gap shortcut?

Ted Irving
Freelance Content Creation
CBS MaxPreps/BBN3
http://www.tedtv.tv
tedirving@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 12, 2013 at 3:33:25 pm

[ted irving] "is there an actual close gap shortcut?"

Delete

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 22, 2013 at 5:08:55 pm

This is a very useful solution but I cannot figure how to punch in number of frames in the way you describe?

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Aug 9, 2012 at 5:35:06 am

Hello...this was the first thing I could not get my head round with FCPX so used to hitting "tttt" was I.

When you start using gaps more as advised you'll realise you no longer have any use for it but it does take getting used to.

This forward select shortcut (press "shift/alt/down" to selects all clips to the right. or "shift+alt+down" to select all clips to the left.) is a new one on me but I tried i and it doesn't seem to work for me??

If you're anything like me you'll find yourself hitting "P" even more than "tttt" now.

Return to posts index

Ernie Munick
on Aug 9, 2012 at 7:33:59 am

Oh my - I know I'll adjust but...COMPLICATED!

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Aug 9, 2012 at 3:33:15 pm

and then suddenly it doesn't seem so...this was the advice given to me...all of a sudden it starts to feel more normal ...I struggled with the initial blocking out and have come to realise one has to be a bit more structured and it is best to use Primary Storyline for main "chunks" I think, whereas I have been used to using v1,2,3 and 4 "checkerboard" style for overlaps and handles...but the magic of the primary storyline is that it negates the need for this style of working..I am still struggling with it a bit I admit.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 9, 2012 at 6:17:44 pm

I could've shaved a million keystrokes off your tttt method by now. Press T. You're in T mode. Press hold shift and you're in TTTT mode. Release shift and you're in T mode.

The method being discussed works in the timeline index, which seems a bit convoluted. Easier to just shift+z and draw a marquee around everything from where you are, down.

But that and TTTT can be prone to error. In X, and how Avid used to be and probably still is, the best method is to insert something or roll something out to make the space.

Inserting a gap takes one keystroke. Then rolling out the gap longer to make space is another mouse click/drag. So far, 2 stokes/clicks shorter than just choosing the TTTT key.

The other obvious concept is that there is not much reason to shift everything down. Pick your spot and start inserting. Since the timeline is in ripple mode by default and you can't lock tracks, you're not going to knock anything out of sync.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Aug 9, 2012 at 6:22:19 pm

thanks..had so many of those "Doh" moments over the years when talking to others...but when it comes to hitting the "t" button four times I reckon I am (unnecessarily obviously) world champion.

Doh!

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Mar 14, 2017 at 1:34:35 pm

I don't quite understand the difference between these key stroke combinations....

This forward select shortcut (press "shift/alt/down" to selects all clips to the right. or "shift+alt+down" to select all clips to the left.) is a new one on me but I tried i and it doesn't seem to work for me??

Return to posts index

David Cooke
on Sep 29, 2015 at 7:39:26 pm

Been working with FCP X now for a little over 8 months. Have tried everyone's combination in this post and it really doesn't work "If" you have made some of your clips individual storylines. Usually get the MAC "buzz sound when some keystroke is not allowed. The only way to "drag and drop" transitions onto another clip in your timeline is by making those clips "storylines- the "Command G" shortcut. In other words, I have not been able to group move all the clips to the right of your playhead it they are a mix of the following: gap clips, regular clips-(non storyline without that little gray bar over the clip) and storyline clips. Some of my issues I am sure is because our other suite is still FCP 7 (you know budgets, can't replace everything all at once) and still have to use FCP 7 60% to 40% FCP X projects due to the makeup of our archives and long-standing projects from FCP 7. My friend who only know FCP X makes "COMP" clips of EVERYTHING and puts EVERYTHING only on the magnetic timeline. I realize its super easy to move everything to the right or left of the playhead then. Yes, I still "stack" most projects like I was still on FCP 7

D's Video

Return to posts index

Chris Hocking
on Mar 14, 2017 at 8:57:42 am

Sorry to jump on an old thread, but just FYI - FCPX Hacks offers this functionality:

https://latenitefilms.com/blog/final-cut-pro-hacks/

CONTROL+OPTION+COMMAND+LEFT will select everything to the left of the playhead.

CONTROL+OPTION+COMMAND+RIGHT will select everything to the right of the playhead.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]