APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Understanding range based keywords

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oren Hercz
Understanding range based keywords
on Aug 8, 2012 at 11:46:37 am

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I assign an entire clip a keyword, say John, and then assign a range of that clip with the same keyword, then the clip range will NOT show up as an individual thumbnail in that keyword collection. Only the entire clip with the keyword John will show up, and if I look in list view, I can only then find the little key icon that identifies a range with the same keyword.

This has been my experience, and I want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

So, the moral for me being if you want a clip range to show up in a keyword collection, then make sure you don't tag the entire clip with the same keyword.

Anybody?

Oren

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Understanding range based keywords
on Aug 8, 2012 at 12:21:54 pm

What do you need to do exactly?

Why tag something John, and then retag it John?

What do you need in the large range that the small range doesn't provide or vice versa?

Just trying to get a sense of what you need to do organizationally in order to help.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Oren Hercz
on Aug 8, 2012 at 12:29:22 pm

Well, ok. My keywording was, shall we say, a little lazy. So I had a whole scene of a person named John, but then there was a nice close-up where he wasn't speaking, which I also tagged John because I new I would use it. Now, technically yes, I should have tagged it as CU or something else, but if I just had a bin with all the John clips, I could see them at a glance and know which one was the CU, so it seemed unecessary, and I didn't want to go through the effort of making a smart collection with multiple keywords.

So yes, a little lazy, or just trying to be fast. But it looks like FCPX won't show you both clips separately. If there is a range based keyword within a larger clip with the same keyword, FCPX won't separate it out as a separate thumbnail in the collection. Not a bug per say, just something for me to understand.

Oren Hercz
Editor, Post-Production Manager
Journeyman Film Company
http://www.journeymanfilm.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 8, 2012 at 3:42:23 pm

[Oren Hercz] "So yes, a little lazy, or just trying to be fast. "

Not lazy at all, in fact, you're trying to do the right things.

This is a perfect case for favorites. On that clip, mark the shorter range and hit the 'f' key. You will see a little green line on the clip marking that range.

You then sort the viewer by favorites only by hitting 'control-f'.

You can get back to all clips with "control-c" or the "hide rejected" command that I can't think of at the moment. All of these commands are at the top of the browser in a drop down menu.

You can mark as many favorites as you want on a clip, but they can't overlap.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 8, 2012 at 5:56:59 pm

It also may help you to think about keywords as "differentiators."

That's really their function. It says this range is different than other ranges.

Applying the identical keyword to both a whole clip and a range of the clip, doesn't give the X database anything to separate the range from the whole - so it's reasonable that it doesn't work in a search.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]