APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Long interview logging

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Berez
Long interview logging
on Jul 5, 2011 at 4:34:05 pm

Cowfolk,

I do a lot of documentary interview logging and I'm trying to figure out my new workflow here in X. In FCP 7 I would subclip based upon the names like "Paul talks about hybrids" or "Bob describes first sail" Obviously there are dozens of subclips from a long interview. Then in the bin I can just twirl down the thingee and see all my interview subclips. Handy and familiar.

In X, I make a keyword collection (interviews) and log favorites and add my notes to the notes section. However, I can only enter a single log note per clip??? Shouldn't I be able to log a range selection and notate it in the notes section? Even when selecting ranges I can't add a log note to that range or it changes it for the entire clip? That can't be. This is so basic, so fundamental, I must be missing something obvious.

Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
Re: Long interview logging
on Jul 5, 2011 at 5:11:25 pm

[David Berez] "Shouldn't I be able to log a range selection and notate it in the notes section?"

I was just logging a bunch over the weekend in FCP X and found it pleasantly very efficient. Extremely efficient actually. Although a little different that it was I have to say I think it is better than FCP 7. I went through about 65 shots and I soon learned I didn't need to take my hands off the keyboard, even for switching shots.

For you I would offer 2 solutions:

1. Compound Clips can behave much like subclips. Set your in and out and hit Option- G, and name your compound clip. The compound clip will now be selected (see what I mean by not having to leave the keyboard) which you can further add keywords to rangers, markers and edit the notes field.

2. In documentary work we happen to use markers for interview notes (I never thought of using the notes field, but I digress). Do the same in FCP X, plus now you can easily search for and isolate your notes on the timeline index. One advantage to markers is that you can have multiple markers per clip.

One thing you might really find useful is using a text generator on a clip and then disabling it. It will behave like a marker with visible text so you organize sections of your story.

- T.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Bob Pierce
on Jul 6, 2011 at 10:44:58 pm

I've never understood why people always say compound clips are the answer. For one thing, it's a non reversible range selection, so it's limiting that way. Also, when you're logging, if you create a compound clip, it's true you don't have to leave the keyboard to type in notes, but you then have to reselect the original clip and find your place. Still - no good answer for this most basic editing function. Maybe it's there, but after two weeks of trying I've given up.

Bob Pierce

Director of Photography • Editor
http://www.lightstreamassociates.com

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jul 6, 2011 at 11:57:54 pm

Agreed, compound clips are good for something, but probably not long format logging. Markers and ranges are much better suited for logging than notes.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

David Berez
on Jul 8, 2011 at 12:09:04 am

Tim, thanks for these suggestions but still not quite there. I don't mind logging with markers in the bin but its incredibly frustrating that playback stops when you option m to add a marker. Really slows things down. You should be able to add a marker and modify it as you listen to the interview. Otherwise you have to tail slate (marker) everything. Effective, but very unusual.

David

Return to posts index

Eddie McFly
on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:43:15 pm

Hey Dave,

I was recently doing some interview editing and found that I can put a separate log note for each favorite I create when I'm in list view. Does that work for what you're needing it to do. I've found it really useful, to go through my long interview clip marking in and out points (sorry, selection ranges) - makeing them favorites, then modifying the note filed next to that favorite in list view. You have to toggle open the disclsosure triangle next to the clip to reveal it, but it seems to be working for me.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Jul 8, 2011 at 2:06:30 am

Check out this thread if you haven't already as it might help you with your workflow. Many of us have been using the "Favorite" command to mark a clip's in and out (to keep track of what you've done) and use keywords/markers for everything else. I know it doesn't quite answer your issues but may lead you in the right direction.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/769

tony

http://www.HungryCliff.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]