APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Can I play a project in the viewer?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
samir kassab
Can I play a project in the viewer?
on Jul 4, 2011 at 8:44:39 pm

Hey guys

On FCP 7 I used to make a draft of the rushes in sequences to cut away the unusable stuff,and keep only the parts that I might use!that worked perfectly for me specially when I have tons of rushes!so then when I have my rushes edited in those organizational sequences,I play them in the viewer and select the clips from the viewer to my " working sequence" just by marking the clip using "x" and insert/overright it using cmd+F9/cmd+F10

Is there a way to do this or smthg similar in FCPX ?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Can I play a project in the viewer?
on Jul 4, 2011 at 8:50:43 pm

[samir kassab] "Is there a way to do this or smthg similar in FCPX ?"

Not really. You can copy and paste from different "projects" (sequences as they used to be called) which is a sort of a workaround but you can actually edit from them.

One way would be to create a blank compound clip in the event library, open it up in the timeline and then paste your roughly assembled footage into it. That way you'd have something you could edit from that would be stored in the browser and you could mark clips from. Obviously you wouldn't be able to see where the cuts were though which would be a limitation.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Jul 4, 2011 at 10:58:07 pm

I used to do the same thing in FCP 7. In X just think of projects as sequences. I don't understand where there's a need for compound clips. Just cut your footage down in as many projects as you need and copy the trimmed footage into an empty project.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jul 4, 2011 at 11:49:04 pm

I have bypassed creating multiple sequences.

As I watch I use in, out add to main storyline E key.

When I am done I duplicate the sequence and cut it down. Then I duplicate and cut it down. If I want a clip back I go back one sequence and copy paste it.

You could also use keywords in place of sequences. Then group the clips I sequences based on range based keywords.

There are many more efficient ways. Just try some. You'll see that building multiple sequences isn't as nesseary in the program architecture.

David.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 5, 2011 at 7:17:59 am

[David Battistella] " If I want a clip back I go back one sequence and copy paste it."

The problem with this for me is how cumbersome Apple have made the process of "tabbing" between projects - this feels like a serious encumbrance to speed for me. Hence my suggestion of making a compound clip that sits in the Browser to house your temporarily assembled footage.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]