APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Locking a clip to a song? Overwrite edit?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Devino
Locking a clip to a song? Overwrite edit?
on Jul 3, 2011 at 9:20:46 pm

I'm forcing myself to learn FCPX right now, just trying to do a simple edit. I'm sure the solution to this is simple but I'm just not apparent to me. A lot of the time when I'm editing something to a song I know I want certain shots to happen at certain points in the song, so I'll simply edit them in leaving empty space to be filled as I do more editing. Because of the magnetic timeline I'm having a hard time doing this. FCPX fills the empty space with slug, but when I want to add a new clip it pushes the slug to the right and slips all of the shots further downstream in the timeline instead of overwriting the part of the slug I don;t need anymore. So I'm hoping there's either a way to lock shots to the audio track so they won't slip, or do simple overwrite edits. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Gerald Bouget
Re: Locking a clip to a song? Overwrite edit?
on Jul 3, 2011 at 9:34:33 pm

I'm forcing myself to learn FCP X too...
and yesterday I discovered you can insert empty space in the Timeline, called "gap clip" or "placeholder clip". I still have not tried myself but it could help you.
Here is the link to FCP X help:
http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.0/?lang=en#ver4e2eff6

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 3, 2011 at 9:53:05 pm

Just use the "position" tool (shortcut P) for moving clips, and overwrite for all your edits, this makes FCPX behave like FCP7 and takes the magnetic timeline out of play. As soon as you use the "select" tool (shortcut A) and move clips then the timeline will ripple with all your edits as you have found.

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Steve Mullen
on Jun 20, 2013 at 4:55:20 am

I've looked at many tutorials and no one seems to grasp that folks don't always want to be in RIPPLE mode. Thanks to the great tip about Position mode, we can enter NON-RIPPLE MODE by hitting P. Now the OVERWRITE command puts anything you want at a specific TIME. Many clips can be placed at the TIME they belong.

Hitting A goes back to RIPPLE mode. You can generally ignore the gaps by eventually placing clips in them until they are no longer present.

Best Regards,

Steve Mullen

Digital Video Consulting--Las Vegas

http://www.mindspring.com/~d-v-c

==========================

"Sony V1 and FX7 HANDBOOK" at http://www.knowledge-download.com/V1-FX7

"Sony HVR-Z1 and HDR-FX1 HANDBOOK" at: http://www.knowledge-download.com/SonyHDV

"EDITION 2: JVC GY-HD100 HANDBOOK" at: http://www.knowledge-download.com/JVCHDV

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jul 3, 2011 at 10:43:40 pm

Couple of ways to do this, but basically rather than editing your clips into the primary storyline, which is fully magnetic at all times, use the connect clip function. The clips get connected to the primary storyline wherever you place them. As you connect the clips, empty gap clips are created as needed.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Jul 4, 2011 at 3:15:39 am

If I understand the problem right, the real way to do this is make the song the only media in the primary storyline.

It's the most important thing (I.e., the object all timing is designed around), therefore for it should be the primary storyline. Video clips connect to it above then.

Nate Weaver
Director/D.P., Los Angeles
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

David Burch
on Jul 4, 2011 at 9:00:59 am

Tom is correct. The way the program was designed was to have a single storyline that acts as the "backbone" of the rest of the project. In the case of a music video, that backbone would be the music itself. Simply place that into the primary storyline (hit E) and then connect all your video clips (Q). Then you can move them around at will without disrupting the primary storyline. If you want to lock the clips into position, combine them with the primary storyline into a compound clip (command+G). That will collapse any clips you have selected with the storyline and hide them so you can't accidentally move them out of place.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Daniel Markoya
on Jul 5, 2011 at 7:11:19 am

Music Video… is there any way to use multiple synchronized clips?

I have original accusation footage for a music video that consists of a guitar player listening to a pre-recored song on a boom box while the video camera picked up the wild sound of the guitarist and the pre-recored sound track. There are probably 30 takes of the complete song plus cutaways.

The original tape had take after take on it. So I brought the footage in as a New Event and cut the first take and saved it as a 422 pro res .mov then the second and so on.

I then deleted the original footage with multiple takes from the Event and imported the newly made clips and the pre-recorded master .wav file.

I then selected live take 1 and the music master and synchronized them… sweet… and then proceeded to do the second take and the third.

I then tried to get them to play together in the timeline without any luck. I then found this post and saw comments concerning the music master needing to be the main clip in the storyline but that defeats pre-synching the individual clips to the music master as they do not lock up with the main music clip in the storyline.

Any idea how multiple takes of a music video can be synched up and then married to one another and the master music clip other than sliding then around the old fashioned way?

Return to posts index

artgug
on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:17:27 pm

This is absolutely an unacceptable way to edit. Not everything that needs audio at very specific times in the timeline is gonna be something like a music video.

You may not know you need a specific audio track at a very specific place when you start your edit.

Lets say your editing a promo for network TV. You start your edit for a couple days, then they pass you 2 different 10 second pieces of music. One needs to start at 5 seconds in and the other needs to start at 20 seconds in and end exactly on 30 seconds.

How exactly do you edit the video afterwords without constantly altering where your audio is falling?

Guess what, you can't. Still think magnetic timeline is cool? Some editors actually know where they want the audio to fall without Apple "protecting" us from ourselves.

Return to posts index

David Burch
on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:31:59 am

Why not place your two music clips in a secondary timeline? Or make a gap clip your primary? Presumedly, if you're editing a television spot that had to be a specific length, you'd want a gap as your primary anyway. Then, if you have elements such as music that must occur at specific times, simply make them into a compound clip with your primary and none of your other edits would affect them. This isn't a "workaround"; it's an entirely new paradigm of editing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]