APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

FCP X Remote Timeline Viewing (like FCP7 iChat Theatre)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jp chan
FCP X Remote Timeline Viewing (like FCP7 iChat Theatre)
on Apr 26, 2012 at 3:45:06 pm

Has anyone found a suitable workaround in FCP X for the iChat theatre functionality that was in FCP 7?

I'm in NYC and trying to test remote collaboration with an LA-based editor using FCP X. We've successfully tested FCP 7 timeline sharing, but having no luck with X. We tried using the built-in Mac OS screen sharing function (Snow Leopard/Lion) but there's too much latency to adequately view timeline playback.

Thanks for any ideas!

JP

--
http://www.jpchan.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCP X Remote Timeline Viewing (like FCP7 iChat Theatre)
on Apr 27, 2012 at 12:57:46 am

Do you have a Kona or video out device?

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 27, 2012 at 4:34:21 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Do you have a Kona or video out device?"

What approach are you thinking, Jeremy? I'm curious about this too, not necessarily just for FCPX, but in general.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 27, 2012 at 1:05:37 pm

[David Lawrence] "What approach are you thinking, Jeremy? I'm curious about this too, not necessarily just for FCPX, but in general."

Haven't tried it in a while, but Skype used to be able to see your Kona as a video device.

So, you could Skype your timeline as a video chat.

Maybe it's broken now.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

jp chan
on May 9, 2012 at 5:14:17 pm

No Kona on either side, unfortunately.

We haven't tried Skype yet, but I suspect it would have the same latency as screen sharing? Will report back if I can get it working.

I'm surprised more folks haven't missed this feature from FCP7 -- it was a great way to collaborate remotely.

JP

--

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 9, 2012 at 8:58:53 pm

[jp chan] "I'm surprised more folks haven't missed this feature from FCP7 -- it was a great way to collaborate remotely."

Agreed. It's an essential part of the way I collaborate with my partners in LA and has made our working together way more productive (not to mention saving on travel). And it's made me a rock star in the eyes of several clients. You should see them light up when they watch me make their changes in real time from the comfort of their offices.

iChat Theater is one of the biggest things I'll miss leaving FCP7.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on May 9, 2012 at 11:46:12 pm

I just finished a full day of working remotely with a producer using iChat screen sharing. Not as good, but it does work, though you guys probably know that.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

jp chan
on May 10, 2012 at 7:38:13 pm

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if this feature is possibly being held back pending the release of Mountain Lion, where iChat apparently disappears and Messages/FaceTime etc. replace it.

I'm not a software engineer, but I can't imagine that timeline sharing is a difficult feature to implement in a video editing program that's otherwise so incredibly advanced.

In other words, maybe FCPX will actually get FaceTime sharing later this year?

As an aside, video chat on the Mac now is as strangely fractured as it is on Windows: iChat/AIM, FaceTime, Google, Skype, etc. Whenever I need to video chat with someone we always have to figure out the app first, which is a very un-Apple way of doing things. Someone must be working on the larger issue...I hope.

JP

--

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]