APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Repair corrupted project file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris walker
Repair corrupted project file
on Apr 26, 2012 at 9:10:31 am

Any way to repair a corrupted project file other than using the software I've seen mentioned? That doesn't work and I really, really don't want to lose 30 hrs of editing and start from scratch! No backup project file exists.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: Repair corrupted project file
on Apr 26, 2012 at 11:12:16 am

I just went through this very painful exercise.

30 minute film was in jeopardy for a couple of weeks but now it is back on track through much trial and error.

More details are needed, but I would suggest getting in touch with Apple.

What version
What codecs
What effects
How long is the project?
Have you backed up the old versions folder?
Are there any files in the back up folder?

David

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Apr 26, 2012 at 11:28:16 am

Is it me or is anyone else getting seriously worried about the "Fragility" of FCP X projects?

It's something that really bothers me, the autosaves to the same directory and only when you've saved something and no option to save to another disk/folder.

It's down to the fundamentally disastrous way Apple have decided to separate Events and Projects.

There's a very obvious fix: Take the sharing and render files out of the project files.

Render files can - by default with maybe an option in prefs. - go on the same disk as the Event. That would mean Project files could then live on the system drive and get backed up by usual back up means.

And as for exports/sharing: Well ask us where to put them! Its a hangover from iMovie and pro's really don't need to be hand held with this stuff.

Make projects a filetype not a folder.

Give us back autosave to another location.

I regularly shoot and edit projects that are time critical (be it broadcast news or up to wire financial corporates) and to be honest not having the safety net makes me shy away from using X on these projects.

If I can't be up and running again in minutes from a hard drive crash or project corruption I'm not happy.

It's a pity because the irony is for most of those projects X would be much quicker than 7 but I can't risk it.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Apr 26, 2012 at 1:14:05 pm

Great Idea.

Maybe submit that as a feature request to Apple.

I think a bit more control over where things are and how the "autosave is handled" would be welcomed by many pros. Its a part of our work, something we a just used to.

David

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Apr 26, 2012 at 1:14:35 pm

Its back to old school folks.
After final, end of day, heck even during editing, I would shut down FCPX and copy a version off to another drive.
Thats how it was for me back in the day with most of my work (3D, Motion and Finishing).
Ive had one project corrupt and it was back in June.
Never again after that, call me lucky I guess.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Apr 26, 2012 at 1:51:04 pm

It's true Eric.

One corrupt project file makes you want to save stuff off to other locations at every break in the day.

David

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Apr 26, 2012 at 3:53:04 pm

I also has Dantz Restrospect running (years ago) every hour backing up Maya. Max, After Effects and others plus their resources to another server.
Now that we're running everything off XServes, I only have to do that with Avid MC and FCPX files.

Return to posts index

chris walker
Re: pair corrupted project file
on Apr 26, 2012 at 4:13:47 pm

Your reply gives me hope. No backup folder since I had not yet updated to 10.0.4. All render files and old versions backed up. It's about 90 min long and not hard to edit, but 30 hours wasted! Will contact Apple.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 26, 2012 at 6:59:26 pm

If you're in a shared storage or multi-user environ with critical work on the line, then backups obviously need to be managed very carefully.

For the single seat user, just slap a drive on the system and let Time Machine mirror the state of your Event and Project libraries on a regular basis. Done.

Personally, I haven't lost a single project in nearly a year of working with X and that one was in V1.2 and I was able to recover my TimeMachine clean copy and go back to work in about 10 minutes.

There's a"Nancy Grace" syndrome at work here, I think. Kidnappings have always happened. But for decades, they were perceived as rare and distant. Now they're on TV persistently with essentially TV shows who's ratings sink and swim with the broadcast of that kind of content so there's a heightened sense that it's a much more real possibility than it really is for those not in the general class of custody disputes and other risk factors.

When you hear a few isolated examples of bad stuff happening - just note it, maybe take some action if it's not too expensive or troublesome - and move along.

Only when these boards fill up with large swaths of crash reports or problems - is it time to worry, IMO.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Apr 30, 2012 at 8:06:47 am

[Bill Davis] "For the single seat user, just slap a drive on the system and let Time Machine mirror the state of your Event and Project libraries on a regular basis. Done.

Personally, I haven't lost a single project in nearly a year of working with X and that one was in V1.2 and I was able to recover my TimeMachine clean copy and go back to work in about 10 minutes."

But time machine is only does hourly backups. I don't know about you, but in my edits a lot can change in an hour, hell I've done edits that last shorter than an hour!

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 30, 2012 at 11:03:37 pm

You do realize that since 10.0.3, X has maintained a 15 minute "Backup" auto folder and if you crash for any reason, the program will revert to that. So it's pretty difficult to lose more than that unless you do something really truly distractive like make huge changes and then go past the next auto-save time increment?

Just saying.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on May 1, 2012 at 9:10:31 am

Yes I know that and OK, maybe that's enough to protect you from a corrupt file after a computer freeze, although the jury still appears to be out on that.

However, I would still like the ability to have the autosave live on a different drive. I have had hard drive's crash on me at the wrong time and I can do without the rise in my blood pressure thanks.

Personally I have a USB thumb drive that lives in my computer all the time and that worked perfectly under FCP 7.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Sam Lowe
on May 11, 2012 at 9:41:45 pm

So I just now, for the first time with FCPX, experienced the same problem.

I was option-dragging to copy a generator and text so I could use it again later in the timeline, and I got the beachball of death.

FCPX crashed, and now, after discovering the wonderful program Event Manager, I've learned that everything is well EXCEPT THAT PROJECT FILE.

A backup wouldn't have saved me if I had it, because all my editing today is toast. The autosave file won't launch, either.

FCP simply won't launch when it sees that Project.

This...is bad. If anyone has determined how to "un-corrupt" a Project file, I'm all ears...er, eyes.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on May 12, 2012 at 8:27:48 am

Hi.

First of all I'm really sorry to hear this.

I don't have an answer but suggest you do the following..

First fill out a feedback form on the apple website http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html , apple do read this and in similar instances apple have contacted people.

2nd, repost this here as a new topic - more people will see it and might respond.

Good luck.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Jonathan Page
on May 3, 2012 at 11:18:27 pm

And now me..... I've just spent a long day doing a final edit in FCPX 10.0.4, checked it through and exported it to Compressor that came up with the spinning beach ball until I did a forced quit on it after 5 minutes and 'not responding' message. I've tried most things I can think of, though every time FCPX is launched - it crashes when trying to load that particular project. I've gone through all the folders and files in that project and isolated it down to the 'CurrentVersion.fcpproject' file (9.8mb) that's obviously now corrupt and causes the crashes. The trouble is the only other backup files (90kb ea), in the Backup folder, were created 10 hours before - when I duplicated the project at the start of this edit. No other backup files to be found that I can see.
I've copied the Event and project onto a FCPX copy on another Mac and the same happens as above. Regretfully Time Capsule was being used as an emergency back up H/D, due to another external H/D failure, the replacement arrived today and is sitting in it's box...... Oh well.
Does anyone have a magic answer or is it a rebuild edit from memory and an a grovel to the client?
Thanks in advance, Jonathan.

Return to posts index

Frank Coleman
on May 22, 2012 at 11:51:14 am

Here is the work around, found in Apple Discussions after much furtive Googling.

Close the project that is corrupted and make sure it is highlighted in the Project Library.
Go to File/Export XML and save that file (I saved mine to a different drive).
Re-import that file, generating a new project.
Close and Restart the FCPX App.
STAY AWAY FROM THE PROJECT FILE WITH THE CORRUPTED TIMELINE.
Open the newly project created via the XML import.
Everything should be there and working fine.

Return to posts index

Sue B. Gahn
on Aug 23, 2012 at 4:05:38 pm

Frank - it worked with the below added info/tweaks:

Here is the work around, found in Apple Discussions after much furtive Googling.

Close the project that is corrupted and make sure it is highlighted in the Project Library.
** MUST USE ARROW KEYS ON KEYBOARD TO NAVIGATE TO PROJECT TO HIGHLIGHT, OTHERWISE PROJECT WILL CONTINUE TO CRASH – ONCE PROJECT IS HIGHLIGHTED -- SLOWLY …
Go to File/Export XML and save that file (I saved mine to a different drive).
Re-import that file, generating a new project.
Close and Restart the FCPX App.
STAY AWAY FROM THE PROJECT FILE WITH THE CORRUPTED TIMELINE. – MY SUGGESTION WOULD BE TO MOVE TO A SEPARATE FOLDER ON ANOTHER HARD DRIVE, THUS IT DOES NOT APPEAR IN FCP X

NB: THE OTHER ISSUE WAS I HAD OVER-EXHAUSTED VIDEO IN VIDEO AND FLY-INS WHICH WAS THE ISSUE FOR THE CORRUPTION – ONCE I OPENED THE PROJECT, I IMMEDIATELY DELETED THESE CLIPS & TRANSITIONS, ETC SO AS NOT TO RENDER AND CRASH AGAIN

Open the newly project created via the XML import.
Everything should be there and working fine.

Return to posts index

ted irving
on Aug 18, 2012 at 8:56:04 pm

i had a power failure today. of course it would happen when i don't have my battery backup in place. but once i rebooted and launched fcpx 10.05 the entire project/timeline was gone! i tried opening it and got the, "this could be corrupted," message. however, i do have the nice Sans Digital RAID timemachine backup. i copied the project file from there and deleted the corrupted version. when i relaunched fcpx all was well. Whether its the old fcpx, avid, perm...doesn't matter, we have to have a backup, backup and backup to the backup thats backing up the backups. LOL

Ted Irving
Freelance Content Creation
CBS MaxPreps/BBN3
http://www.tedtv.tv
tedirving@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Heinrich Dahms
on Sep 15, 2014 at 11:40:49 am

Hi Bill,
I've got a problem with FCPX 10.1.3. I have been editing a feature doc for the past 4 months. On Monday last, I worked on the final cut for the last time. When I tried to open the project on Tuesday, it hung and failed to open. I saved the complete library for the previous version, but cannot open the library for the last version and obviously don't want to have to redo all the work done in the previous version. I have tried to replace the "CurrentVersion.flexolibrary" files from several backups, but no luck - still won't open. I have also tried to replace the current version event file from backups, but again, no luck. Is there any other option available short of resigning myself to the state of "FCPX is seriously not reliable for large project editing"?
Thanks in advance for advice,
Heinrich Dahms
http://www.buzzmedia.net

Return to posts index

Ryan Underwood
on Aug 19, 2012 at 2:20:25 am

I had some luck using the following method.

Go into the project folder and find the current project file. There should also be a backup folder with a saved version. Replace the current version with the backup version. You will have to rename it. Hopefully this doesn't set you back too far, but it's better than not being able to open the file. I suppose this assumes it is the actual project file that is corrupt and not the event or render files...

Return to posts index

Wkilla Tello
on Feb 7, 2013 at 7:15:45 am

THANK SO MUCHHHHHHH!!!!!! I WAS LIKE A CRAZY FINDING WHAT HAPPEN TO MY PROJECT AND REPLACE IT THE BACKUP TO CURRENT PROJECT SAVE MY LIFEEEEE :D

Return to posts index

Kenneth Rogers
on Apr 29, 2013 at 12:10:53 am

I just wanted to throw a little helpful advice in here that may or may not apply to someone's problem - I had a problem opening a very important project; I was getting the spinning beachball and the program would freeze. Very distressing as it was over a year's worth of work! I tried substituting the back ups as suggested in this thread, but it didn't work. Then I realized that since a few updates ago, FCPX has been crashing every time I tried to use any of the "C2" effects or transitions. AH-HA! I removed the C2 stuff from the library and presto, everything opened just fine! I had used those effects in the project before the updates but now the new FCPX was choking on them. Dumped 'em and I was good to go!
I hope this helps someone as I know how frustrating it can be when you're hung up on technical problems.
Thanks to all who contribute! :D

Return to posts index

Blair Thornton
on Aug 23, 2014 at 10:25:39 pm
Last Edited By Blair Thornton on Aug 23, 2014 at 10:31:47 pm

I’ve written an article on fixing a corrupted Final Cut Pro X project. There’s no definitive instructions on the Internet that successfully accomplish this task, especially with 10.1.3, so if you’ve got a project that you’ve spent many months working on, you will want to fix the corruption instead of losing all that work.

http://www.girafxmedia.com/?p=315

Blair Thornton

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]