APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

State of the NLE panel

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
State of the NLE panel
on Jul 14, 2017 at 1:11:37 pm

Finally posted from NAB.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: State of the NLE panel
on Jul 14, 2017 at 7:32:21 pm

Nice job, Bill and Oliver!

A very good and well balanced discussion.

(The other two guys aren't bad either but we won't talk about them.)

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 14, 2017 at 8:52:39 pm

Thanks. And no blood was spilled ☺

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Jul 14, 2017 at 11:06:52 pm

Great discussion in the spirit of tolerance for different NLE's. Of course too much tolerance and FCPX the debate forum would whither away and it is often fun to read, so that would be "SAD".

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Jul 20, 2017 at 5:13:18 am

I'm curious... was there a similar religious war in the era of linear computer editing. In my small market I've used CMX, Grass Valley and Sony. I don't remember anyone turning up their nose at one or the other, just those that refused to learn how to do a match-frame edit or properly set up GPIs and machine control. I know with video engineers, you were either an RCA guy or a Ampex guy. Probably wasn't the first holy war though.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 20, 2017 at 12:19:12 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Jul 20, 2017 at 12:19:41 pm

[Scott Thomas] "I'm curious... was there a similar religious war in the era of linear computer editing"

I think so. Generally Sony was the odd one out, because the keystroke order was inherently opposite from CMX and GVG. Ironically, the distribution of market leaders in pro use wasn't all that different than now. Then - CMX, GVG, Sony, Paltex, Axial. Now - Avid, Adobe, Apple, GVG/Edius, Resolve. One big boy in the network/Hollywood circles and then a number of others with strong showings in other pockets.

I suppose it's human nature to argue about your tools - Ford vs Chevy, Nikon vs Canon, or what your stone ax was made of ☺

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Jul 20, 2017 at 4:39:57 pm

I don' remember there being much of debate among editors. Of course there really wasn't very much opportunities to debate, like there is today. In the Atlanta market, which is where I was in the late 80's, early 90's, it seemed to be vastly CMX and GVG, with the big exceptions being Crawford Communications, which was a big Ampex ACE house, and VTA (Video Tape Associates) with own home made editing system. Peachtree Post, one of the other big facilities, had at one time, bays with CMX, Sony and Axial, with Sony, GVG and Abekas switchers. A good freelancer knew how to run them all.

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 20, 2017 at 4:53:45 pm

[Don Walker] "Of course there really wasn't very much opportunities to debate, like there is today."

I think we have the internet to thank for a lot of that. I recall a number of debates on the old Compuserve forums, especially with the late Bob Turner. Circa late 80s.

[Don Walker] "and VTA (Video Tape Associates) with own home made editing system"

And as an aside, for those who don't know - VTA gave us the original DaVinci - software, as well as custom hardware.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jul 20, 2017 at 12:47:28 am

State OF The NLE?

It seemed as though someone wanted to highlight a certain software program made by Apple. To be honest I expected that. It seemed like the other people wanted to let everyone know that all the NLE can get the job done.

Saying Avid is like a printing press while Premiere is like a color printer and last but not least FCPX is like wed design sounded weird an impractical. Avid might be like the printing press and FCPX and Premiere Pro like color printers but Adobe's Creative Cloud would be more like web design. In fact the CC is a full multimedia solution that FCPX can't touch. The web design analogy for FCPX was a bit weird and impractical since Adobe's CC can actually do web design and FCPX is still just a NLE. Don't give Apple more credit than it deserves with a bad analogy.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 20, 2017 at 1:52:19 am

A good discussion. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 22, 2017 at 12:32:53 am

Good vid,

I think it was great seeing Bill at his emotional best, proudly invested in the idea that FCPX is "webpage" around the ten minute mark.
Watching Michael Kammes reflexively blink at the 11.29" point felt an excellent back and forth. I will make a gif of that.

26" When Bill re-litigated the 2011 launch of FCPX I could feel heads nodding.

27" Bill got emotional there. I'm not sure why we never got FCPX either. Why amn't I cutting on X?

33" Oliver fails to mention the mordor quicksand that is PPro audio channel philosophy. Did everyone at home remember to re-wire their stereo tune as l-r pan mono?

38" Bill admits X is a world unto its own. Bill has walked into that valley. Bill is playing that piano.

39" Scott Simmons then presents the notion of musical skill and basic competency. Rumour is that things should not always be in sync.
It's an amoral difficult world.

40" Kammes sounds like an adult. Scatter.

On balance, Oliver Peters is realistically the only sane person there. Good vid.

https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 22, 2017 at 12:44:39 am

Welcome back - or what this just a drive-by post?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Jul 22, 2017 at 3:55:25 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Bill has walked into that valley. Bill is playing that piano."

Why do I get the impression that this line is from an Infocom text adventure game I haven't played yet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]