APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

So anyway FCPX Users, how's things?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
So anyway FCPX Users, how's things?
on Apr 8, 2017 at 5:43:27 pm

As fascinating as the Windows vs OSX debate is getting I thought it would be nice to get the conversations back to FCPX.

Things are looking good, Apple have clearly stated their intentions to develop Pro machines and FCPX going forward, the new and improved FCPX is very good indeed and I'm looking forward to seeing what the next update will bring.

How are other FCPX users getting on? What do you think of the latest news and where would you like development of FCPX to go?

Personally I'm very happy with it and I'm very optimistic about the future.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: So anyway FCPX Users, how's things?
on Apr 8, 2017 at 9:31:19 pm

[Steve Connor] "Personally I'm very happy with it and I'm very optimistic about the future."

Me too.

The past few months as Ive been working on my XinTwo content it just feels different. I have a radically new workflow. Script creation in Filemaker Pro so I can simultaneously start assembling the needed metadata. Then Voiceovers are recorded directly inside FCP X - and those Share directly out to Frame.io where the visual lessons are managed. The Screenfows are assembled and we start the visualization and approval stages - again using local FCP X on our desktops to assemble the actual videos.

As of earlier this week, Frame.io directly transfers the approved modules out of Frame.io to my Vimeo Pro account which serves as the content host for sharing. Those files are linked to the XinTwo website using metadata from the Filemaker system. So I basically have a production pipeline that goes all the way from my desktop - through the production partners - and up to the bespoke website and out to the planet.

I'm sure other platforms have systems to do the same, or similar things. But I don't know those. I know this one - and I can see a clear path using just the tools I've already assembled significant expertise in.

So I'm about as glad as I can be with the recent messaging from Apple and the future of the Apple part of this process.

The software and back end integration is coming along gangbusters, and I can see a great future going forward.

As I posted in another message elsewhere -- Onward and Upward! This ride feels like its might be getting really good now. I'd close with "stay tuned" - but that's seeming a bit long in the tooth. Maybe "stay linked" is better now?"

😀

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 9, 2017 at 12:30:27 am

Generally, I find it fine, albeit still a bit buggy. My biggest complaint is that very few in my neck of the woods have adopted it. A few individual users and even some institutional users. However, as a freelancer, I typically work out of other shops - normally production companies. These have all shifted to Premiere almost exclusively. But as far as getting the job done, 10.3 is a solid improvement.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Apr 11, 2017 at 4:38:22 am

[Oliver Peters] "Generally, I find it fine, albeit still a bit buggy."

Well then Oliver... Today is your lucky day!

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?from=appshareios&jk=36871e5bb2007137

Software QA Engineer - Video Apps

The Video Applications team is looking for a senior software QA engineer to contribute to the production of innovative tools for video makers and visual storytellers. This position requires a highly self-directed individual with strong creative and analytic skills, a passion for emerging technologies, and a desire to learn.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 11, 2017 at 5:24:18 pm

[Steve Connor] "Personally I'm very happy with it and I'm very optimistic about the future."

Totally agree. X has simply become my "go-to" and I no longer think of it as a new way to work, rather just the way to work. Documentary work starts in June, so that will be a good test for me.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

John Watts
on Apr 21, 2017 at 1:50:08 am

The last time I touched FCPX was the week it was initially released. I was installing a system for a church who had ordered FCP7 and during the ordering and installation phase, Apple pulled the plug and the rest is history. (Despite placing the order, Apple would not deliver the FCP Suite to us, Grrrrr, anyway, I'm over it.)
So we downloaded the original FCPX and I had to learn as much as possible in one day, then turn around and teach it to a former
Premiere user. Even though I have decades on Avid, Smoke, Premier, Discreet Edit (remember that one), and linear editing, I actually liked the speed and fluidity of "X". It slightly reminded me of a long ago NLE called Speed Razor.
Fast forward to today, and I'm getting ready to upgrade my 8 year old iMac/FCS3 and get a new iMac/FCPX. Been browsing the forum communities so see what folks say about this idea, and would appreciate any advise/warnings/whatever anyone would have the time to share. I know it will shift my paradigm, but look forward to the challenge and watching a lot of tutorials.

Most of my work will be HD so 4K is not really an issue at this point.
So, I'm looking at a brand new iMac, as much Ram and CPU as practical and a way to attach an external video monitor via Thunderbolt II.

I'm not at NAB this year and maybe even kinda sorta miss it.
So...any comments, if so inclined. Thanks.

iamgroot

John Watts

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 21, 2017 at 10:06:30 am

[John Watts] "So, I'm looking at a brand new iMac, as much Ram and CPU as practical"

The component you'll want to watch for first and foremost, is the GPU. Max out the VRAM and everything else is just icing, in the context of Final Cut Pro X. I personally wouldn't even bother with a CPU upgrade and just go with whatever's stock. And I doubt you'll regret the switch. But definitely treat yourself to some Ripple Training. 😉

- RK

Return to posts index

Lawrence Eaton
on Apr 21, 2017 at 12:46:17 pm

I'll 2nd that!

Lawrence

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Apr 21, 2017 at 3:36:07 pm

With the news of NVIDIA and cMPs, has anyone tested FCPX yet?

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 22, 2017 at 2:41:33 pm

When purchasing an iMac are there options of GPU an VRAM?

Scott Witthaus
Owner, 1708 Inc./Editorial
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 22, 2017 at 3:44:06 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "are there options of GPU an VRAM?"

Yes. But usually only for the top 27".

- RK

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 22, 2017 at 5:14:39 pm

Thanks Robin -

Putting together a system for a summer gig and this will help.

sw

Scott Witthaus
Owner, 1708 Inc./Editorial
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]