APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Wes Plate joins the FCP X team?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Wes Plate joins the FCP X team?
on Feb 8, 2017 at 7:41:20 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Feb 8, 2017 at 7:46:43 pm

Just got saw word via Peter Wiggins at FCP.co that Wes Plate of Automatic Duck fame has gone to work for Apple on the FCP X Pro App team as a Product Designer!

But it's accurate - that's amazing news!

The future could be looking even brighter for FCP X's future.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Wes Plate joins the FCP X team?
on Feb 8, 2017 at 7:49:06 pm

That really is good news for FCPX users

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 8, 2017 at 8:03:10 pm

I had the pleasure of working directly with Wes when I was the product manager of Boris FX/Boris RED from 2000-2003. He was still at Automatic Duck at the time, and the name of the game was supporting sequences from After Effects in the standalone version of Boris RED, so we had a number of tricky problems to work through. I loved getting to see how Wes's mind works up close, and to enjoy the company of one of the industry's truly nice guys on a project that neither one of us was 100% certain we could pull off.

Needless to say, we did. 😎 All the credit going to Wes and Boris for doing the actual work, of course, but it was certainly one of the funnest projects I ever got to manage in my years as a corporate weasel.

Frankly, because of his role as the key cross-environment workflow facilitator in our industry's history, anyplace that Wes lands is good for everyone....but yeah, no doubt, this bodes well for anyone using X who's also using other stuff.

Although frankly, what Wes has done before may or may not have anything to do with what he'll be doing at Apple. 😁 Nevertheless, congrats to both!

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Feb 8, 2017 at 9:18:41 pm

Very cool!

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Feb 9, 2017 at 11:43:15 am

Apple to Wes: This is our new touchpad pro. Please convert this to the pro market.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 9, 2017 at 5:35:35 pm

[Daniel Frome] "Apple to Wes: This is our new touchpad pro. Please convert this to the pro market."

Wes to Apple: We buying Microsoft or something? Why are we chasing "Surface?"

; )

(clearly sarcasm, I don't remotely presume to speak for Wes OR Apple, obviously.)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 8, 2017 at 7:53:08 pm

Odd, appears I can't edit my own post... oh well.

I was just going to add a link.

Confirmation:
http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/1927-wes-plate-joins-apple-as-product-...

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 8, 2017 at 7:58:26 pm

He'a actually been with Apple since last November.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 8, 2017 at 8:22:04 pm

I guess news is only news if you don't already know it!

Nobody's let the cat out of the bag, including obviously to Peter and all the other folks I regularly communicate with.

Apple "discretion" in public facing messaging...remains fully intact!

And away we go!

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 8, 2017 at 8:34:00 pm

[Bill Davis] "I guess news is only news if you don't already know it! "

Always reminds me of an old NBC slogan for their summer re-runs, "If you haven't seen it, it's new to you!" ;)

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 8, 2017 at 8:22:33 pm

[Noah Kadner] "He'a actually been with Apple since last November."

So there ya go. Hot off the presses. 😎

One of the trends I've welcomed most over the past few years has been talking more about the role of our inner lives on our work. I've certainly tried to push that here in my own emphasis on our personality traits playing the largest role in our NLE choices, but even more broadly, as part of a push to expose mental health issues in the creative community, and the toll this job takes on us.

Kylee Peña got the ball rolling industry-wide with an article she wrote for us a couple of years back, "How Are You? No, really. How ARE you? Creativity & Mental Health"

The mantle was very quickly taken up by our friend Zack Arnold, founder of the Fitness in Post podcast, and who's shared some terrific articles with us, all of which I highly recommend.

I mention this because one of the most powerful episodes of Zack's podcasts featured Wes's story of going from high school athlete to being hospitalized for alcohol abuse in his early 30s, and his journey back through rehab and into the world of ultramarathons. Absolutely amazing stuff.

Here's the summary of what they speak about in their conversation:

• Wes’ early career as an offline editor at an advertising agency
  • Why Wes started Automatic Duck and how they became the “Switzerland” of the app world
  • How going between different apps has changed in the last 15 years (…it hasn’t)
  • Wes discusses how some of the bad habits he developed early in his career helped lead him down a path to alcoholism
  • The turning point in Wes’ life: Christmas of 2007
  • Why he decided it was time to go to rehab
  • How a combination of tracking his weight and quitting alcohol motivated him to lose 40 lbs right after rehab

There's lots more that you'll definitely want to check out. Here's the link. Wes isn't just a nice guy. He's been through hell and lived to tell the tale.

And do check out Kylee's original article while you're at it. It's fun and cute to talk about how crazy we are in this business, but it's also dangerous as hell to pretend that it won't do very bad things to us if we're not paying attention.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 8, 2017 at 11:11:38 pm

Hopefully that means X will handle file interchange like AAF internally rather than relying on third party plugins.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Feb 17, 2017 at 6:29:32 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Hopefully that means X will handle file interchange like AAF internally"

I think it's pretty safe to say that Apple's exchange format is XML (you know, that thing that Wes is one of the very best at?)… period.

If it hasn't changed in five years, why exactly would it change now? Because Wes knows something Apple doesn't? Never mind that those formats are even older and still as horribly limited as they always were. Unlike XML.

Still wanna hope? 😏

- RK

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 17, 2017 at 6:41:02 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Because Wes knows something Apple doesn't? "

If Apple knew everything that Wes knows they wouldn't have needed to hire him. ;)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 17, 2017 at 9:48:32 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "If Apple knew everything that Wes knows they wouldn't have needed to hire him. 😉
"

Not really.

There's a massive gulf between knowing something - and implementing a usable solution based on that knowledge

It's the old deal that IF an actual cure for cancer somehow miraculously formed in some human being's brain, it would remain worthless as long as it's in that person's head. It's got to be taken seriously, tested, vetted, manufactured, and distributed before it actually gains real-world value.

Ideas are worthless. Implementation of ideas is where actual value starts to be built.

My 2 cents.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 17, 2017 at 11:37:54 pm

Yep, Wes is obviously just there to help implement Apple's bright ideas

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 18, 2017 at 2:04:34 am

[Steve Connor] "Yep, Wes is obviously just there to help implement Apple's bright ideas"

Or,

Wes now gets to contribute his ideas into a larger system that has one of the worlds best track records of taking innovative thinking and incorporating it into a system which can leverage that thinking into useful real-world products that ACTUALLY make people's lives better.

😊

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 17, 2017 at 11:41:50 pm

I like the way FCPX handles AAF files with X2Pro, I'd rather Apple used their resources on other stuff

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Feb 18, 2017 at 10:21:22 am

[Steve Connor] "I like the way FCPX handles AAF files with X2Pro, I'd rather Apple used their resources on other stuff"

Exactly.

I in fact find the entire approach of leaving specialty functions to 3rd parties to cover and (most of all) maintain a pretty brilliant one. I think anyone that maintains it would somehow be a better solution to have it all tacked onto FCP by default, clearly hasn't seen what e.g. Intelligent Assistance has been able to do over the years.

My hope is actually that Wes is there to implement an even tighter and smoother integration of Motion files and projects into FCP, for starters. He clearly has shown he knows how to approach it. Maybe even an overall improvement of 3rd party access for XML exchange, so there is no more going through the Finder for exchanges as it is with some apps. Something along those lines. Actually strikes me as the most logical plan. We'll see. Soon I hope. 😛

- RK

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 18, 2017 at 10:51:36 pm

[Bill Davis] "Ideas are worthless. Implementation of ideas is where actual value starts to be built. "

Knowing how to implement an idea is still knowledge. 😉

Semantics aside, I think Apple brought in Wes because of the specific skill set and experience he brings to the table.

[Robin S. Kurz] "My hope is actually that Wes is there to implement an even tighter and smoother integration of Motion files and projects into FCP, for starters. "

That's where my money is at too. I mean, when he was at Adobe he helped strengthen the bonds between AE and PPro and PPro and SpeedGrade so creating a more robust conduit between Motion and FCP X just seems like a natural thing for him to be part of.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]