APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
on Jan 2, 2017 at 9:24:50 am

Happy New Year to you all, what are you looking forward too this year?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: 2017
on Jan 2, 2017 at 4:54:30 pm

For the past year my editing life has been pretty much rock-solid.

All I want in 2017 is for that to continue.

My hardware and software was quick, stable and extremely dependable throughout 2016.

I've enjoyed concentrating on the work - rather than the tools. That's been extremely satisfying. Yes, there were minor issues and occasional bugs particularly with the huge FCP X 10.3 update. - but they were all in the realm of "it could be better - but nothing's broken for my workflow" stuff." and I never stressed out about missing a deadline and was often able to take more time polishing the content and still have things ready to deliver early.

All in all 2016 was a really great work year.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 2, 2017 at 7:49:49 pm

Getting a film camera
Seeing if there is another significant update to FCPX
Waiting for the next debate regarding software
Waiting for a new Mac Pro

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 2, 2017 at 9:10:26 pm
Last Edited By Shane Ross on Jan 2, 2017 at 10:09:10 pm

Finally learning Windows. But hoping that Apple releases a genuinely pro machine that is intended for NLE's OTHER THAN only FCX...so that I don't need to really learn Windows...

Hoping networks will stop leaning on ProRes as a deliverable.

Would love if more editors would prep their footage properly (ADD REEL NUMBERS) so that I could import an XML and have it link properly to all the media they supplied in Resolve...and not need to rely on a textless export chopped up as source. Also...if they would flatten their cuts so that only the footage used in the sequence gets sent to me (I still see this with FCX and Avid editors...FCP 7 does this automatically, oddly enough).

Learning FCX a little so I can properly export bits and pieces of editors cuts to separate stills and video (FCX does export with alpha pretty well in these cases), and special text effects with alpha. And export sections where text was still included because it was part of a compound clip.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jan 3, 2017 at 11:16:30 am

And when are you going to update your blog to "Little Frog in 4K" 😉 ?

I too am beginning to consider the fact that Apple computers may simply not be an ideal video editing solution for anything but FCPX. Just like you, however, I've spent some time refining my FCPX editing chops, mostly just for enjoyment sake.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 3, 2017 at 7:30:15 pm

[Daniel Frome] "And when are you going to update your blog to "Little Frog in 4K" "

RIGHT! I do need to do that.

And I'll say that I've installed Windows and played around with it...and wondered what advantage I have to using it right now, really. I can't think of any. My Hack runs the MacOS just fine. But it did take a bit of effort to get it installed...Windows was EASY. It's mainly the ProRes delivery need that's keeping me Mac...well, that and all the third party apps I use that are Mac only....

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jan 3, 2017 at 1:21:42 pm

[David Mathis] "Getting a film camera"

Ive had my RED Scarlet since fall of 2012.

As a CG artist (started my career as one), the ability to shoot anytime you possibly can is priceless.
Plus the fact it got my foot in the local scene without having to shlep lighting gear for years (for free) ☺

This year I want to do my first short film.
Something I wrote and can live and die by 😉
Its tough doing this for others and half of them dont finish the damn thing :P

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 3, 2017 at 3:22:14 pm

Happy New Year!

My professional goal this year is to work on more documentaries. I worked on three last year (two features and one 'short' that was a TV-hour) and I'd like to cut docs 100% of the time but I'm finding that a difficult position to get into.

On the more technical front, I think I'm finally going to get around to really learning X this year. My chops on the other NLEs used in my area or solid so, time permitting, X will mostly likely my professional development hobby this year (of course I said the same thing last year but work kept getting in the way so we'll see how it goes this time around).

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: 2017🍸
on Jan 4, 2017 at 1:38:38 am
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Jan 4, 2017 at 1:48:27 am

[Steve Connor] "Happy New Year to you all, what are you looking forward too this year?"

Good health, steady work, peace on earth. ☺ After reading this thread I thought I too should learn another NLE!
Hmmm... good with X, Pr, 7, MC and R12 so... dove into this!

And promptly gave up... I'll probably read the docs and revisit it at some point. HNY!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jan 4, 2017 at 6:29:19 pm

Looking forward to a machine upgrade. I shot a lot of HD content on the 4.6k Ursa Mini for my day job last year, I think I'm ready to shoot personal projects in 4k this year... I just need a workstation that can handle the larger 10 and 12 bit files. I've also gotten to the point where my 3D renderers are starting to feel sluggish, so investment in more compute power (CPU and GPU) is a must!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 4, 2017 at 7:38:54 pm

[Shawn Miller] "Looking forward to a machine upgrade. "

I wouldn't look at Apple. They are too busy making things smaller and adding cute emoji bars. Making computers that can't even connect to their own iPhones without an adapter. Haven't updated the MacPro in over 3 years...and consider the iMac their "top of the line" desktop...and I'm sure they'll keep pushing that.

Apple is losing a LOT of trust in me...a mac only user since 1990. Only thing keeping me on the OS is the need to encode to ProRes.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 4, 2017 at 8:54:12 pm

[Shane Ross] "They are too busy making things smaller and adding cute emoji bars"

So you've used it then?

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 5, 2017 at 12:31:08 am

ME? No. Colleague did. But had to get it into the repair program due to the GPU freaking out on him in Premiere...glitching. Which is fine, it'll get repaired. And he'll get adapters and a dock and eventually get it to a place where it's ready to be used properly.

I swear, these are more designed for the business professional than media...that's the first thought they have. Media secondary. That's what I gather when I see that they value lightness and battery power over RAM, decent GPU and faster CPUs.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 5, 2017 at 7:18:46 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Jan 5, 2017 at 7:35:58 pm

[Shane Ross] "I swear, these are more designed for the business professional than media...that's the first thought they have. Media secondary. That's what I gather when I see that they value lightness and battery power over RAM, decent GPU and faster CPUs."

Shane,

You're missing what Charlie is saying. (I think, he's better able to say than me, surely)

But I think you keep getting stuck in the mindset that the only way to leap higher and higher walls is to develop stronger and stronger legs. But there is another way. Keep the same muscles - but lose some weight.

The "weight" in this case is the rasters we all need to manipulate. The old view was that bigger and bigger rasters need more grunt to push around. But that's the exact opposite of the trends towards proxy and similar reference file editing. Today, you can make decisions on lightweight video streams and then just swap the pointers to the heavyweight streams after the metadata manipulation work is done.

THAT is what Apple is valuing. So you get both the ability to cut what you need to cut in the way you need to cut it - PLUS you don't have to lug around heavyweight gear or be tied endlessly to a wall outlet at your desk in order to comfortably get your work done.

What you're hearing from the new professional editors enjoying X is that they don't have to work like they've been working for the past 20 years - with the same assumptions in place that defined their jobs for so long. Is a fire burning GPU nice? Sure. And if you spend most of your time doing full raster color correction for mastering - or gaming where virtual kill or be kill depends on performance - go for it!

But that has little to do with EDITORIAL judgement. I'm pretty sure guys like Herb and I have been making editorial judgements on SD sources just fine for decades. And ANY modern proxy file is likely to run quality rings around THAT when it comes to producing a quality image to cut. (Precisely why Premiere Pro added an X-like proxy system after 4 years, no?)

So what's the point of thinking you can't drive effectively unless you're always at the wheel of a big assed house mover thingy - when what you're actually doing most days is deciding how to arrange the lumber and create the house, not MOVE it yet?

Just makes no sense.

Particularly when the smaller vehicle can actually DO all the house moving as well, it just takes a bit longer than a machine designed specifically for house moving?

FWIW.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 5, 2017 at 7:55:18 pm

[Bill Davis] "But I think you keep getting stuck in the mindset that the only way to leap higher and higher walls is to develop stronger and stronger legs. But there is another way. Keep the same muscles - but lose some weight. "

Stronger GPU and processors are needed for many things, not just large video files. But also using Motion or AE or for noise reduction plugins, or other plugins. AT SOME POINT you need to work full res...so I guess at that time you move to a PC that can do all this? Or an iMac that costs 2-3 times as much, with less horsepower? AT SOME POINT you return to full resolution for finishing and output. And that still requires muscle to jump high walls...

[Bill Davis] " But that's the exact opposite of the trends towards proxy and similar reference file editing. "

Trends towards...funny, Avid has been doing this for decades, and now it's a "trend" when Apple and Adobe start doing it. Yes, I cut offline codecs daily...I know this. But I'm also a finishing editor, and I need the muscle when finishing. Not talking about the laptop now for finishing...talking MacPro, which the old one...I mean latest one that's 3 years old...has GPU that freak out in Premiere or Resolve at full res. And yes, they needed to be replaced, and even when they are, Resolve needs to be "throttled" in order to baby them.

So I'm talking about FINISH EDITING...when you do need the power to deal with full res files and noise reduction and mastering. The MacPro is old, the iMac is "OK" for this, but really underpowered for the cost, and the new laptops...forget it. You FCX cutters still need to finish, and you still need the muscle. Apple seems to only be aiming at the FCX crowd, and as a side note, when it comes to their hardware. Yes, you can cut Proxy in FCX...and then you can finish and you might not need all that processing power in FCX. Other apps do...and Apple doesn't seem to care about those other apps. THEY USED TO...now? not so much. Evidence is there...

[Bill Davis] "(Precisely why Premiere Pro added an X-like proxy system after 4 years, no?) "

Last year. For one that is semi stable. They tried with PRELUDE, but that was just a mess.

[Bill Davis] "So what's the point of thinking you can't drive effectively unless you're always at the wheel of a big assed house mover thingy - "

No. When I want to drive to work, I'll use my small car. So...iPad in this case. But when I need to MOVE MY HOUSE, I will drive that big ass truck. And since I make a living moving big houses, I need that big truck all the time. Just because YOU don't need to move big houses all the time doesn't mean that NO ONE needs to.

[Bill Davis] "when what you're actually doing most days is deciding how to arrange the lumber and create the house, not MOVE it yet? "

That's fine for "offline" editing...but again, I'm talking FINISHING. Finishing is a big part of editing...and that needs the big truck.

[Bill Davis] "Particularly when the smaller vehicle can actually DO all the house moving as well, it just takes a bit longer than a machine designed specifically for house moving? "

So you are saying that we should be OK with using a smaller car to get the house to where it needs to go..it'll just take longer? Some of us have deadlines to meet. Sorry, this is a very bad analogy. Yes, there are many who only need iMacs to cut, or less, as they are doing the creative cutting, offline quality. I do this...doing it right now. Cutting a reality show 14:1 compressed. On a VERY old Mac Pro..works great...which is why we are still using this Mac Pro. Not a lot of power is needed. But I also finish shows with Resolve...4K shows. And THAT requires power. Which is why I built a computer for that task. One comparable in processor to the latest iMac, but with a far superior GPU, slots to hold hard drives (I can get 5 in this beast)...slots for MORE GPU if I need, which I do. And this cost $1600...better than an iMac, under half the cost of the one I spec'd out. I render out a 50 min 4K sequence with lots of noise reduction in around 1.5 hours. I can render out a two hour, 1080p 30 sequence in 28 min. When I have 10 masters to deliver, I need the speed it offers.

Aren't you the one who is all about speed? How FCX is so great that it speeds up your workflow so much that you can get more done in half the time? So now you are saying that that small car should be fine for me...it'll just take a little longer? hmmmmmm....

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 7, 2017 at 8:31:27 pm

[Shane Ross] "So now you are saying that that small car should be fine for me...it'll just take a little longer? hmmmmmm...."

What I'm questioning is what's commonly referred to as the "delta" between what's achievable on one class machine compared to another.

For me, the delta of editing with X verses how I used to edit has been EXTREMELY large.

In fact the delta between my MacPro Cheesegrater and my current MacBook Pro is actually upside down. The laptop runs rings around my old desktop because - equipment advancements in virtually every area from GPUs to SSDs and beyond.

Now we're in a realm of looking at whether the delta between a modern laptop and a modern desktop is wide or narrow.

No question it exists. But what's the actual functional difference?

That full rez render or composite after all the editing is done? Is it 5 times as fast on a modern desktop rig compared to modern laptop? Twice as fast? Or just 10% faster?

Which of those deltas is in play tells you whether you NEED to remain in the desktop world or if the laptop (since it already at largely at parity via modern workflows on the pure editorial side) might be close enough on the grunt work to make It a reasonable choice to do everything for an editor.

For decades, ONLY a desktop rig handled the needs of working content creators. My question is "how true or false" is that today.

What's the delta - basically.

Just an interesting question to contemplate.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 8, 2017 at 8:06:08 am

[Bill Davis] "In fact the delta between my MacPro Cheesegrater and my current MacBook Pro is actually upside down. The laptop runs rings around my old desktop because - equipment advancements in virtually every area from GPUs to SSDs and beyond."

A stock cheesegrater is pretty dated, but it is also upgradeable. Slap in a new GPU, SSD and USB 3.0 card in it and you've got a much improved machine for around $600-$700 (higher if you want a beefier GPU or a PCIe SSD of course).

[Bill Davis] "Just an interesting question to contemplate."

It is, and I think to varying degrees editors have been contemplating it for the past twenty years or so. From NLEs vs linear suites to the DV/Desktop NLE Revolution to today where, given the right circumstances, one can shoot, edit and post one's videos using just a smartphone or tablet.

For example, in Dec. of 2007 I flew to Vegas and spent a weekend cutting 3min-5min web videos non-stop in a hotel room at the Mandalay Bay. I used a then current MBP and FW drives (I also might have had a small HDV deck 'cause I don't think the company was shooting on cards then). It all fit in a backpack and worked fine (worst part was the hotel's insanely slow upload speeds). Would I have preferred a desktop (and a comfortable chair)? Of course, but flying out with a desktop was unrealistic, and renting from a local facility was out of the budget, so doing it with a laptop was the next best thing, and it was good enough to get that particular job done.

That brings up another point; the difference between 'ideal', 'good enough', and 'I guess you could, but why would you voluntarily'. All three can get the job done, but the experience is certainly different depending on which route you choose take (or are forced to take because sometimes life throws curveballs).

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 8, 2017 at 6:23:10 pm

Andrew - exactly this.

What I'm constantly interested in is how much actual difference is innolay when you choose one editing setup over another. It's been 5 years now since I started migrating away from desktop editing to laptop editing. If I'm ever going to invest in a new desktop system, I need to know how much more performance I can expect.

Primarily because owning and operating two systems that do the same things doubles the depreciation - and in an era of rapid technological change - that cost accelerates - I think it's smart to understand how big the ACTUAL gap is between the work I can do on my laptop compared to a desktop rig.

IME, that gap has been closing fast tho, of course, it still exists.

I just want to know how big it truly is before I need to write the next big check.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 8, 2017 at 9:52:12 pm

I still use my laptop to edit. And yes, I too travelled to somewhere to online a show (Dallas...JFK show). I know that the laptop is well and good for MANY MANY USES. I'm mainly referring to the lack of an update for the MacPro...and the sub-par machine known as the iMac. Yes, it's fine for Premiere and Resolve and Avid...but it's not as high end as PCs can get. And it wasn't as high end, at one point, as the MacPro. The MacPro is there for the heavy lifting...Their top end machine. But apparently Apple doesn't seem to want a HEAVY LIFTING machine. They'll settle for a laptop that's OK for offline and some online (HD, not 4K)...which is fine. But then the iMac is their best offering for high end? It's mediocre...mid range.

THAT'S what I'm getting at. They seem to go "these computers are fine for OUR media software...and that's all we really care about."

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 8, 2017 at 10:25:28 pm

[Shane Ross] "THAT'S what I'm getting at. They seem to go "these computers are fine for OUR media software...and that's all we really care about.""

It's a fair criticism, Shane.

The thing is, Tim Cook expressly said very recently that they still "Love" the Mac and that they have big plans for it. At this point, we'll just have to have faith.

I get how people think they put too much emphasis on iDevices. But it's simple reality that the income stream that has turned them into the largest company on the planet is built on stuff that EVERYBODY wants to use - not just stuff that one class of high end professionals use.

The hope is that they continue to find ways to leverage the expertise they have at both ends of the spectrum to make great products for all the constituencies. Basically, Retina screens that don't jack the price of any of the laptops up needlessly, because that R&D is spread over the entire line.

That monster ACER Preditor is ALSO designed to target a constituency. Perhaps Gamers without budgets? So you get a head tracker before you get a trackpad under your home row thumbs where you don't have to move your whole arm to actuate it? It's always trade offs.

But sure, there won't be a TOTAL focus on just what any of us would ideally like to have which is a single device capable of working at the highest end possible - but sill cheap enough so that unlike when I started out - ONLY those in a network level facility could afford to use the tool. (I'm looking at YOU 4 channel ADO in the 1980s!)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 9, 2017 at 3:14:35 am

[Bill Davis] "If I'm ever going to invest in a new desktop system, I need to know how much more performance I can expect."

There's certainly a point of diminishing returns though I think a related, and possibly more relevant question, is how much performance does one need in order to execute one's own workflow in a satisfactory manner? For example, take the online/offline you use and compare it to Vashi Nedomansky's workflow for the movie "6 Below" where he edited 6K R3D files natively. You use a MBP that's a year or two old (IIRC) and Vash used a Dell with a 20-core CPU, 12gig GPU and 128gig of RAM.

Is his machine w-a-y faster than your MBP? Yes. Would using his machine (for the sake of argument assume it could run FCPX) speed up your workflow? Probably some, but mostly it would be expensive overkill (like buying a 50lb bag of sugar from Costco when all you need is cup). An editor friend of mine only uses Mac Minis in his home setup and hiss reasoning is since he's only offline editing (or editing smaller projects) from home the extra power in a faster machine would just be wasted.

Being Mac-centric does skews things though because all of their computers (aside from the aging nMP) use laptop parts so the potential performance difference between a Mac laptop and a Mac desktop isn't going to be as extreme as the potential difference between a PC laptop and a PC desktop.

[Bill Davis] "The thing is, Tim Cook expressly said very recently that they still "Love" the Mac and that they have big plans for it."

Unfortunately he only name checked the iMac, but not the Mac Pro. Hopefully that was just an innocent omission and not a foreshadowing of things to come (or in this case, not come).

[Bill Davis] "So you get a head tracker before you get a trackpad under your home row thumbs where you don't have to move your whole arm to actuate it? It's always trade offs. "

Says the guy with big enough hands. 😉 I certainly can't accurately or comfortably reach the trackpad on my MBP while keeping my fingers on the home keys.

For a gaming setup though you are going to be using a mouse so the trackpad wouldn't be a primary input device. The fact that trackpad can be flipped over (since it's held in by magnets) to reveal a number pad on the other side is pretty cool, and the number pad is probably more useful on a such a machine.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 5, 2017 at 8:24:36 pm

[Bill Davis] "The "weight" in this case is the rasters we all need to manipulate. The old view was that bigger and bigger rasters need more grunt to push around. But that's the exact opposite of the trends towards proxy and similar reference file editing. "

As I'm sure you know offline/online has been around for a really long time. It's not new. Though it seems to be going in cycles:

We offline/online SD.
Computers/storage hit a speed and price point where many (most?) can work with online quality SD throughout editorial.
HD comes around and it's w-a-y bigger than SD.
We offline/online HD.
Computers/storage hit a speed and price point where many (most?) can work with online quality HD throughout editorial.
4K/6K/8K comes around and it's w-a-y bigger than HD.
We offline/online 4K/6K/8K.
Computers/storage (will eventually) hit a speed and price point where many (most?) can work with online quality 4K/6K/8K throughout editorial.

Apple's relatively recent focus on making a solid offline/online workflow in their NLE goes hand in hand with their main desire to make thinner, lighter, and quieter hardware. Apple used to brag about making the fastest computers in the world, now they brag about making the thinest. Just because Apple focuses on thinner, lighter and quieter doesn't mean that slightly thicker, slightly heavier, slightly louder, but more powerful machines are passé. Maybe one could change one's workflow around in order to suite Apple's whims... or maybe one could just buy a computer that suits one's needs better than anything Apple sells (which is doable when most of one's software is OS agnostic).

Not to speak for Shane, but he does a lot of offline editorial during the day and a lot of online editorial at night. I think he's pretty qualified to understand how well offline quality proxy files can look these days as well as the need for speed so one can work at online resolutions in a timely fashion.

[Bill Davis] "PLUS you don't have to lug around heavyweight gear or be tied endlessly to a wall outlet at your desk in order to comfortably get your work done."

Not everyone edits on the go so lugging around heavyweight gear is certainly a case by case basis. Ex. my three monitors, color panel, audio monitors, Logitech Gamepad, and RAID stay on my desk in a comfortable, ergonomic office. When I edit at someone else's facility it's typically a similar setup (multiple monitors, sit/stand desk, shared storage on a SAN, etc.,) so going plug free/wireless isn't an option either. Even when I do edit in the field on a laptop I have to stay near power because laptops can't handle 8-12hrs of editing on a single battery charge.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 5, 2017 at 1:10:18 am

[Shane Ross] " Only thing keeping me on the OS is the need to encode to ProRes."

+1

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jan 5, 2017 at 8:39:08 pm

+2! Literally the only thing keeping me on Mac. Although I like cutting with FCPX and have a ton of investment in 3rd party tools for it I hate seeing all the new tech out there and not being able to use it! The GTX1080 and now Gen7 Intel CPU's not to mention M.2 drives, Thunderbolt 3 etc etc...

I've got my 12 core 2012 MacPro souped up as far as it will go - literally - and it's not enough to finish 4K shows in a smooth, real-time way. As far as ProRes, I've though about switching back to DNxHD and then keeping a cheap Mac around to render deliverables. Or subscribe to Scratch but that's $69 per month just to render ProRes in Windows...

even if Apple releases a mind blowing Mac Pro in 2017 it's not going to be cheap. For $3500 you can build an up-to-the-second dream machine in the Windows world that would blow away anything from Apple if they stick with AMD. I'm not an Avid user anymore and never plan to be so I have to decide if Premiere/Resolve combo will make me forget about FCPX...

Happy New Year

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 5, 2017 at 9:32:29 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "+2! Literally the only thing keeping me on Mac. Although I like cutting with FCPX and have a ton of investment in 3rd party tools for it I hate seeing all the new tech out there and not being able to use it! "

Me too, but Bill says we don't need it so that's OK

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jan 5, 2017 at 4:50:04 am

[Shane Ross] "[Shawn Miller] "Looking forward to a machine upgrade. "

I wouldn't look at Apple. They are too busy making things smaller and adding cute emoji bars. Making computers that can't even connect to their own iPhones without an adapter. Haven't updated the MacPro in over 3 years...and consider the iMac their "top of the line" desktop...and I'm sure they'll keep pushing that.

Apple is losing a LOT of trust in me...a mac only user since 1990. Only thing keeping me on the OS is the need to encode to ProRes."

I'm already a Windows user, but it seems like there are a lot folks who are expressing the same thoughts about Apple and the future of it's desktop products.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 5, 2017 at 7:39:12 pm

[Shane Ross] "Apple is losing a LOT of trust in me...a mac only user since 1990. Only thing keeping me on the OS is the need to encode to ProRes."

We all blasted Microsoft for locking in users with proprietary technologies in the 1990s. How times have changed!

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jan 18, 2017 at 8:37:50 pm

New Mac Pro

Built in batch syncing
Built in batch export
Built in clip exporting
Slate recognition software for marking on a clip.
To be able to drag a secondary storyline clip without the beachball (happens on multiple well-qualified machines)
Better media management for archiving.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jan 20, 2017 at 7:12:17 pm

So the 10.3.2 update seems to fix the issue of dragging clips on the second storyline being so slow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]