APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

So has the 10.3 Update calmed your fears on the Future of FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
So has the 10.3 Update calmed your fears on the Future of FCPX?
on Nov 5, 2016 at 5:54:57 pm

Hardware releases aside, for those who had doubts like me has this new update renewed your faith?

I'm certainly a lot more confident going forward and very pleased with the update.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
Re: So has the 10.3 Update calmed your fears on the Future of FCPX?
on Nov 5, 2016 at 6:05:10 pm

Personally I think this is a great update, before installing I was afraid I'd have to get used to it but it all feels really natural. There's no doubt in my mind they're intending to improve things for "pros" but I am wondering what they will do about the 2013 MP. I'm hoping apple will have an impressive update there too and hopefully significant upgrades for existing 2013 MP users.

But on the FCPX side of things, If the 10.3 update is any indication then I think the future is looking very good...

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 5, 2016 at 6:35:09 pm

I'm sorry, but IMHO this update was way to long in coming for what is primarily a cosmetic reskinning of the app. Granted, maybe the wide gamut addition caused a lot of internal reworking that slowed them down. In either case, let's wait and see if FCPX passes the 10-year mark, like FCP "legacy" did. After all, there's been no public commitment by Apple past that point.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 5, 2016 at 6:56:53 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I'm sorry, but IMHO this update was way to long in coming for what is primarily a cosmetic reskinning of the app"

I think it's a little more than that! At the very least there's clearly been a lot of work under the hood on performance and Roles is being developed in the right direction as well

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 5, 2016 at 7:13:17 pm

Don't you all think this release was delayed to the release of the MacBook Pro? There seems to be a concerted marketing effort to pair the MBP with FCPX for professionals, and we had to wait until the computers were ready, otherwise, we would have had the update more quickly.

Also, this is much more than a reskinning, there was a lot of function built in. I'm loving it. Even without Audio Lanes on, I like how adding audio to the timeline puts it in the general Role hierarchy. And for the most part, it's pretty stable. There's a few crashes in there, but nothing like the latest Adobe release.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 5, 2016 at 7:26:12 pm

Just noticed that Timeline History seems to be reliable now as well!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 5, 2016 at 8:47:06 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Don't you all think this release was delayed to the release of the MacBook Pro?"

Maybe so. But if true, that's all that much worse. And certainly not what "pros" want to hear.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 5, 2016 at 10:10:33 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Maybe so. But if true, that's all that much worse. And certainly not what "pros" want to hear."

So grab a Surface Pro and let Adobe/Avid rule? If you're so upset and discouraged, why stick around?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 5, 2016 at 10:17:31 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "So grab a Surface Pro and let Adobe/Avid rule? If you're so upset and discouraged, why stick around?"

I'm not upset. Just not irrationally exuberant like many others ?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 6, 2016 at 7:42:52 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I'm not upset. Just not irrationally exuberant like many others ?"

What part of this is "irrational" exactly? We were waiting for a BIG update. We got a BIG update.

It went WAY beyond the "just add minor features to what we've already got."

It went into whole new areas nobody had ever enjoyed built directly into an NLE before. Roles and Lanes and the way metadata inside metadata needs to patch itself (roles and subroles mixing themselves into output streams) took a LOT of work to put into a system that I bet will take me MONTHS to fully appreciate.

And that's only going to come after I understand how the interface changes will affect my daily workflow.

To me, Roles is just developing like Range Based Keywords. It looked simple and straightforward at first, but the more I learn about it - the more it appears to let me accomplish things in ways I simply couldn't before.

That's NOT small.

And as to waiting for hardware - that's the whole POINT of one company having the ability to create new software and hardware in concert?

Break prior limitations. Go new places. Try new things.

If an editor doesn't like that and just want's to keep things as close to the prior experience he or she had - that's Great. Just enjoy it.

And sorry, but this looks like ACTUAL innovation to me. Defined by me as real capabilities coming to the laptop editing experience right now that were never possible before. Tons of people are lauding Adobe for its social media panel initiative. Excellent. Go new places. Innovate.

But don't bash Apple for doing the same thing aimed at a professional editors experience while sitting at the keyboard getting their daily work done either.

The old meme was that Apple didn't care about "Pro Editors."

Explain to me even ONE of the 10.3 initiatives that actually applies to anyone else?

If that isn't cause to be a bit exuberant - I don't know what is.

Just my 2 cents.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 6, 2016 at 8:24:29 pm

[Bill Davis] "What part of this is "irrational" exactly? We were waiting for a BIG update. We got a BIG update."

a) There's very little about any software update that warrants exuberance. It's only software. It doesn't define what I do or don't do.

b) I don't see it as a big update. Different - yes. A number of new features - yes. Big - not so much in my mind. 10.09 to 10.1 was a big update. I actually think it's good that it wasn't this big, because that was extremely disruptive.

[Bill Davis] "Roles and Lanes and the way metadata inside metadata needs to patch itself (roles and subroles mixing themselves into output streams) took a LOT of work to put into a system that I bet will take me MONTHS to fully appreciate."

As I stated before, most of this architecture was there before.

[Bill Davis] "Defined by me as real capabilities coming to the laptop editing experience right now that were never possible before."

What do you mean "to the laptop editing experience"? I don't understand that statement.

[Bill Davis] "And as to waiting for hardware - that's the whole POINT of one company having the ability to create new software and hardware in concert?"

I'm not sure that's even true. For the Touch Bar, I suppose is what you mean. As far as actual editing, I don't see this version as anymore optimized for the new machines as for the previous versions.

[Bill Davis] "The old meme was that Apple didn't care about "Pro Editors."
Explain to me even ONE of the 10.3 initiatives that actually applies to anyone else?"

I don't believe I said that. What I said was that I question the future of X past the 10th year of its existence. That was the point of the original question and I see nothing in this release to change that.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 6, 2016 at 8:33:52 pm

[Oliver Peters] "It's only software. It doesn't define what I do or don't do."

Yes but if the speed or functionality of the software you use a lot of the time is improved considerably then that IS a reason for exuberance. The timeline I'm working on at the moment is 110 minutes long and there is NO LAG, it's a project I do every year so it gives me a yardstick on how FCPX is doing.and this is the first time I've been able to have a timeline of this length without lag in FCPX. I'm pretty exuberant about that!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 6, 2016 at 8:46:32 pm

[Steve Connor] "The timeline I'm working on at the moment is 110 minutes long and there is NO LAG, it's a project I do every year so it gives me a yardstick on how FCPX is doing.and this is the first time I've been able to have a timeline of this length without lag in FCPX."

Lag when you are doing what functions and with what media? I've had some feature-length timelines in X and its been fine before 10.3 and on older towers, too. For the most part I see similar performance in Premiere and Media Composer (excluding skimming, of course). For end-to-end completion they are all pretty much on par. Some faster in some areas and others faster in others. At least in my experience.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 8, 2016 at 5:01:03 am

[Oliver Peters] "Just not irrationally exuberant like many others"

Many? You're painting FCP X users with a ridiculously broad brush Oliver. You should step outside the Cow now and again. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 8, 2016 at 1:32:50 pm

[Charlie Austin] "You should step outside the Cow now and again. ;-)"

I do. Do you mean that world that doesn't even know FCPX exists? ?

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 8, 2016 at 4:32:20 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I do. Do you mean that world that doesn't even know FCPX exists? ?
"

lol. Yes Oliver, that's exactly what I meant...

~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 8, 2016 at 4:52:48 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Don't you all think this release was delayed to the release of the MacBook Pro? "

Nope.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 8, 2016 at 5:17:44 am

[Charlie Austin] "Nope.
"

Just coincidence, then.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 8, 2016 at 5:24:27 am
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Nov 8, 2016 at 7:21:51 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Charlie Austin] "Nope.
"
Just coincidence, then."

Well, maybe the MBP release/FCP X Summit was the deadline, that seems logical. I really doubt it was held back for that at all. I'm speculating though...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 8, 2016 at 5:02:23 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Well, maybe the MBP release/FCP X Summit was the deadline, that seems logical. I really doubt it was held back for that at all. I'm speculating though..."

So, if there was no new MBP, FCPX would have been released on the same day?

They are intrinsically tied. X is being used to market the MBP and my guess is, rather it being a surprise to the FCPX team, they know what was coming.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 5, 2016 at 8:43:48 pm

[Steve Connor] "At the very least there's clearly been a lot of work under the hood on performance and Roles is being developed in the right direction as well"

Sure. I think I acknowledged that in the wide gamut comment. I'm sure that took a bit of re-engineering.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Nov 5, 2016 at 8:28:48 pm

[Oliver Peters] "what is primarily a cosmetic reskinning of the app"

Really? So what would have been a substantive upgrade?

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 5, 2016 at 8:41:56 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Really? So what would have been a substantive upgrade?"

To start with, one that fixed the bugs present in earlier versions.

Then how about better the other points I brought up (relinking, batch exports, etc)? Or maybe something like collaborative workflows.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Nov 6, 2016 at 11:11:32 am

I do think that the whole Roles feature is actually under-appreciated in your comments, Oliver.

In the sense that I think it must have been taking not only a lot of technical engineering (look at Apple's white paper for Roles (http://images.apple.com/final-cut-pro/docs/Audio_Roles.pdf) but also a lot of user-interface thinking. Like how you now get an always on Audio Configuration on the inspector that you can colapse out for subroles, see submixes, and stuff.
I think it's 'easy' to use it now that it's out, but it presented a lot of big challenges for the developers to program. Again, not only technically, but also user-interface wise, and to keep it logical. Complex and still simple, because it's a feature you can ignore, but that you can also go very deep with.

To use a hyperbole (to add some oil to the fire - because of course my opinion is a bit more nuanced than that) but I think Apple over the course of 2011, with the introduction of 10.0.1 which was if I'm not mistaken, the first release to have Roles, to now 10.3, in 5 years solved most 'problems' that tracks had, and also most problems that their whole new paradigm (magnetic timeline) had.
Considering how long people have been editing with tracks, and gotten used to working around clip collissions, patching tracks before putting shots in, etc., I think it's a huge achievement. And not a small update at all.
It's a huge step forward for their NLE, and I think NLE-design in general. I just think we don't see it yet, because FCPX has (in my feeling) only getting some traction the past 2 years in the industry, and 10.3 is only a couple of weeks old. But I think all of this stuff means a lot for the whole editing industry going forward. Maybe I am too optimistic, maybe I'm not.
I have a feeling that Apple put some ground work here, that adding a mixer is a lot more easy next step than the step they just took and a lot less of a challenge than the one they just overcame.
And if people will see how this new paradigm can let you organise stuff very clearly visually, and have it all seperate in your exports without it blocking you in the creative process, I think a lot of editors will think of tracks as archaic (even non-FCPX users).

https://mathieughekiere.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 6, 2016 at 1:15:44 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "I do think that the whole Roles feature is actually under-appreciated in your comments, Oliver."

Well, maybe. It's not a fundamental change, but rather a reworking of what already existed in roles. Since you could already export with roles summed into audio stems shows that this architecture was there, pre-10.3. The need to use compound clips for submixes points to a less-than-adequate approach to solving the problem. The whole magnetic timeline approach can be cool, but this issue points to some definite limitations.

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "But I think all of this stuff means a lot for the whole editing industry going forward. Maybe I am too optimistic, maybe I'm not."

I think you are being too optimistic about the industry at large. Let's see them try to implement this in Logic Pro X and then see how the audio community reacts.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Nov 6, 2016 at 2:14:25 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Well, maybe. It's not a fundamental change, but rather a reworking of what already existed in roles. Since you could already export with roles summed into audio stems shows that this architecture was there, pre-10.3."

I agree with that point. I think the whole concept of Roles is the whole revolutionary thing. (I said the same when I did a demo of FCPX for professionals in Belgium that didn't know the program). But with 10.3 it matured a lot and I think that process of the more mature version of Roles, unlocks the potential it always had conceptually, and will give the whole paradigm of FCPX the potential of becoming dominant in the industry.

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Nov 6, 2016 at 2:55:37 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "[Oliver Peters] "Well, maybe. It's not a fundamental change, but rather a reworking of what already existed in roles. Since you could already export with roles summed into audio stems shows that this architecture was there, pre-10.3."

I agree with that point. "

I think It's a huge change.

Folks who liked tracks were not really arguing about roles that much. They wanted to be able to look at their timeline and see what was what at a glance when it came to their audio.

Some said color coded roles would help. (they did that and then some)

They addressed those exact concerns and pretty much took that argument off the table. Like they did with multicam.

Huge change.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 6, 2016 at 3:11:38 pm

[Tony West] "Some said color coded roles would help. (they did that and then some)

They addressed those exact concerns and pretty much took that argument off the table. Like they did with multicam.

Huge change."

Very pleased with this change as well. I'd love to hear some more feedback from the Creative Summit, there must have been a lot of discussion going on and there.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 6, 2016 at 4:04:11 pm

[Tony West] "Folks who liked tracks were not really arguing about roles that much. They wanted to be able to look at their timeline and see what was what at a glance when it came to their audio.

Some said color coded roles would help. (they did that and then some)"

I was certainly in the camp asking for better visual organization in X so seeing those additions in 10.3 is nice. In the grand scheme of things though I still think that, among the three A's, X is most likely to get dropped out of the blue, Avid is the most likely to go bankrupt/get bought out, and PPro is the most likely to keep kickin' around.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 6, 2016 at 4:34:02 pm

I guess from my POV, the point of this thread is whether the development gives you faith in the future of X. In that sense Roles is a different approach, but the changes in this version are evolutionary, which is why I said it was in large part a cosmetic release.

In the context of this question, my fear is that Apple will get to a 10 year mark with X and it either stays there in that state (whatever that will be) or it will be killed off. That's been Apple's track record with nearly everything. So with that in mind, I don't see how this release does anything to change that perception (at least for me).

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Nov 7, 2016 at 3:32:52 pm

Oliver, I have been thinking a bit more about this discussion, and I just wanted to add a thing. Not really useful, but I wanted to throw it out there:

When Apple released the original Macbook Air it was 1800 dollars, had a slow hard drive, not that much connections, and battery life was mediocre. When Apple released the redesigned Macbook Airs (2010 I think, could be wrong), this 'evolution' of the idea made it into an instant hit, that became the de facto standard laptop that a LOT of people bought from Apple.

Maybe the whole Roles thing is the same? Yes it is an evolution, not a revolution. But if it's good enough, it can change big things for the popularity of the product (in this case FCPX) ?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 7, 2016 at 4:25:28 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "Maybe the whole Roles thing is the same? Yes it is an evolution, not a revolution. But if it's good enough, it can change big things for the popularity of the product (in this case FCPX) ?"

Maybe. I just have a hard time seeing it become widespread across the industry among professional users. Heck, I see very few active users of X making extensive use of roles, either.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 7, 2016 at 4:43:07 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Heck, I see very few active users of X making extensive use of roles, either."

Because if you didn't deliver multichannel outputs, or go to audio post, there was really no use for them? Now, even if you don't have a use for multichannel output, or send out to mix, there's a use for Roles.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 7, 2016 at 6:13:27 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Because if you didn't deliver multichannel outputs, or go to audio post, there was really no use for them? Now, even if you don't have a use for multichannel output, or send out to mix, there's a use for Roles.
"

I was going to say something similar. As someone who keeps watching X but hasn't used it yet, the addition of Lanes, as well as color coding, solves a visual organization shortcoming compared to other NLEs. It also provides an immediate, useful benefit to using roles.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Nov 7, 2016 at 3:52:18 pm

I think you're being overly pessimistic Oliver. I don't really care if Apple kills FCPX, but for now it's my NLE of choice and my favorite NLE by far. If Apple pulled the plug I'd be cool moving to Windows and Premiere/Resolve and finally in a hardware world that I have some control over. Apple had no problem updating and then killing off Shake, which was the gold-standard for compositing at the time. So anythings possible.

But I think this is a substantial update, the way roles self-organize on the timeline is insane and something no other NLE maker has probably even thought of and honestly substantial enough that I would have paid for the upgrade. I've seen much more positive progress since the release of X in 2011 than anything Adobe or Avid has done. Resolve is looking stronger all the time but still not, for me, as good as X when it come to editing. As far as performance improvements. I agree with Steve, I find it much improved with a big (feature length) timeline - 4K 444XQ - no sweat!

Wondering what they'll do next...

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 7, 2016 at 4:23:22 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "I think you're being overly pessimistic Oliver."

You're are probably right. But in the context of the original question - whether this release calmed fears about FCPX - I still contend that for me, it didn't. But I never had any of the pros versus consumer concerns about FCPX to begin with. Where I have concerns is that Apple's public commitment at the start was for 10 years and, as yet, nothing has been stated by them otherwise.

Personally, I think we'd all be better off if Apple spun off ProApps into its own company, like FileMaker. At least then there would be a better yardstick for the future. Given how Apple operates, I think there will always be a question, and you either roll with it or go to other solutions.

[Lance Bachelder] "But I think this is a substantial update"

I agree there are a lot of items in this release. My issue is that given the time they've been working on it, I expected more. So I have to question whether engineering resources were diverted in between to work on other things.

[Lance Bachelder] "Apple had no problem updating and then killing off Shake, which was the gold-standard for compositing at the time. So anythings possible."

Isn't that the core of the question that started this thread? And aren't you actually saying the same thing I did, but in a different way?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 7, 2016 at 9:01:33 pm

The POINT of Apple is that when things are "in house" they get to cross-pollinate.

As I noted in another thread. Squish down an iPhone into a long thin form-factor and install that along with a subset of it's code into your keyboard and what do you get?

The TouchBar.

Seems suddenly kinda useful to have FCP X be a healthy subset of Apple as a whole.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 7, 2016 at 9:16:33 pm

[Bill Davis] "The POINT of Apple is that when things are "in house" they get to cross-pollinate."

Well, I've been told numerous times by folks at ProApps that they don't get a "heads up" on upcoming hardware. At least not until the last minute. Apple is structured in very tight silos. Obviously this time might be different, but it's not a given. Otherwise you'd be able to plug your iPhone directly into a new MBP and charge it. ?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 8, 2016 at 12:33:25 am

[Oliver Peters] "Otherwise you'd be able to plug your iPhone directly into a new MBP and charge it. "

You can't be arguing that won't happen, can you?

And anyway...

On top power only. Below, Power PLUS very high capacity bi-directional data - making every port a power tap and a connectivity port simultaneously.

This is kinda what manufacturing advancement looks like, isn't it?.

Just sayin'

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 8, 2016 at 12:47:15 am

[Bill Davis] "This is kinda what manufacturing advancement looks like, isn't it?."

Except for that MagSafe issue ?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 8, 2016 at 1:04:53 am

[Oliver Peters] "Except for that MagSafe issue ?"

I'm not sure a problem that can be solved cheaply is really that big a problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Griffin-BreakSafe-Breakaway-Chromebook-replacement/d...

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 8, 2016 at 1:09:42 am

The moral of the story is to buy stock in adapter companies.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 8, 2016 at 2:25:45 am

[Bill Davis] "I'm not sure a problem that can be solved cheaply is really that big a problem.
"

I dunno. Add that to the other pile of dongles for the MBP and I think the tally is up to around $250. ?

Speaking of dongles... "Apple's New USB-C AV Multiport Adapter/Dongle Doesn't Work"

https://fstoppers.com/gear/apples-new-usb-c-av-multiport-adapterdongle-does...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 8, 2016 at 2:35:33 am

[Oliver Peters] "ell, I've been told numerous times by folks at ProApps that they don't get a "heads up" on upcoming hardware. At least not until the last minute."

Well, that must have changed, or it's been a while since you've checked in with your sources.

Apple just demoed 3 professional applications all tied to a Touch Bar with on stage demos.

Apple released ProApps software as soon as the last foot left the stage that supported the Touch Bar, and tied the release directly to a MacBook Pro. I don't know if there could have been any more heads up.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Nov 7, 2016 at 5:39:21 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "I don't really care if Apple kills FCPX, but for now it's my NLE of choice and my favorite NLE by far. "

Exactly. We all know more than one NLE, so if one happens to go away, you just move on.

Remember Avid|DS? ;-)

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Nov 7, 2016 at 6:30:16 pm

I think the big picture view is that 15 years ago, Apple's toe hold or life line was in the heart of the creative biz, video editing, photo editing, layout, printing etc. So Apple had created a niche in the creative world which was essential to their survival. THen there was the iPod, iPad, iPhone, and apple became a large consumer company based on those devices and their ecosystems of hardware and software. MacPros and other more niche things like video editing, photo editing that call for machines with lots of connectivity options and computing power are but a rounding error in Apple's bottom line these days.
For those of us that spend our days working these niche realms whether or not Apple releases a new and more powerful cpu means a lot as HD 1080 becomes the new 'DV' and 4K and higher resolutions become more common in our work. For Apple, a new Mac Pro is just a rounding error in terms of revenue. They could probably find an equivalent amount of money by pulling out some couch cushions and looking in some crevices.
For those of us laboring in these niches, the feeling is one of insecurity, because some of the tools we like and use could dry up at some random moment.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 8, 2016 at 5:12:13 am
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Nov 8, 2016 at 5:13:42 am

[Mark Smith] "For those of us laboring in these niches, the feeling is one of insecurity, because some of the tools we like and use could dry up at some random moment."

FCP 7 Still works. And I guarantee you it's not just luck. So whether they can make promises or not (they can't, nobody who sells software can anymore) In general, they don't just drop stuff. And if they do? We'll all move on. To Lightworks!

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Nov 8, 2016 at 1:43:30 pm

[Oliver Peters] "In the context of this question, my fear is that Apple will get to a 10 year mark with X and it either stays there in that state (whatever that will be) or it will be killed off. That's been Apple's track record with nearly everything"

As far as video editing, the sample size for this study is 2. Not nearly enough to draw a conclusion from. I don't think Apple will kill off FCP X just for the heck of it. The reason why they discontinued FCP 7 is pretty clear. It simply didn't have the architecture to do what Apple wanted to do with trackless editing. There essentially was no way forward with it.

I don't see a similar problem with FCP X. I think the architecture is a lot more flexible. And as such it may last a lot longer. But, ultimately I only commit to a particular editing program for 6 years or so. I'm happy to get more than that out of it. But, my needs change.

I believe the next landmark change in editing will be integration of video clips with text of what is said in the video. The productivity advances this will create are massive - and almost unimaginable at this point. I'm not sure any video editing program has the architecture to deal with this. The first one there will probably be my editing system for the next 6 years or more.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 8, 2016 at 2:06:56 pm

[Brett Sherman] "As far as video editing, the sample size for this study is 2."

Well, actually no, because I include Color, Shake and other Apple software into that mix.

[Brett Sherman] "I believe the next landmark change in editing will be integration of video clips with text of what is said in the video."

You mean like Avid's Script Integration?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Nov 8, 2016 at 4:09:30 pm

[Oliver Peters] "You mean like Avid's Script Integration?"

Which doesn't exist anymore. But that is an extremely limited application of what I'm talking about. It seems like those who work primarily on scripted pieces have trouble imagining anything outside of that.

I'm talking about text data integrated into the clip itself. So no matter where you are in the clip, it knows what is being said. Here is some the potential it could unleash. You can export a transcript as a Word doc. You could highlight that word doc, reimport and have keyword collections created from that. You can search for words and phrases with boolean parameters. You can spit out an SRT file automatically with control of the timing of subtitle changes, all done within the timeline - having it quantize to video cuts. You can find all takes where the same sentence is said and have them automatically placed in an audition clip. You can see the text of what's being said in the timeline as you are editing. You could get a quick and dirty translation into other languages.

Before anyone responds with the obvious. Yes, accuracy is an issue. You'd have the opportunity to correct the automatic transcription or send it off to a third party to correct. The going rate for human-assisted, automatic transcription is about $1/minute. And accuracy is increasing monthly for automatic word recognition. By the time this kind of thing gets integrated into an editing program, it would not surprise me if it would be 95%+

Brett Sherman
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 8, 2016 at 4:50:18 pm

[Brett Sherman] "Which doesn't exist anymore. But that is an extremely limited application of what I'm talking about."

Actually Avid recently announced they purchased the IP for Nexidia's engine for media applications.

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2016/10/27/883827/0/en/Avid-Acquires...

An updated announcement related to ScriptSync and PhraseFind in Media Composer is due by the end of the year. So yes, it very much exists. However, I agree, that I would envision something updated and modernized as it relates to FCPX.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 8, 2016 at 4:54:33 pm

[Brett Sherman] "Which doesn't exist anymore. But that is an extremely limited application of what I'm talking about. It seems like those who work primarily on scripted pieces have trouble imagining anything outside of that."

Avid recently signed an exclusive license with Nexidiaโ€™s for their speech tech so presumably ScriptSync and PhraseFind . ScriptSync is amazing for unscripted/documentary work as well (honestly I think it's probably more of a boon for that than for scripted, but that's just my opinion).

https://www.avid.com/press-room/2016/10/avid-acquires-exclusive-licensing-r...

SpeedScriber is a new (still in beta I think) cloud-based transcription service that is looking to eventually have ScriptSync-like features inside of PPro (among many other features).

http://www.speedscriber.com/

And Microsoft's R&D wing has a speech recognition system that can be as accurate as human transcribers.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/18/microsoft-hits-a-speech-recognition-miles...

Many companies seem to be making inroads down the path you are describing, though I wonder how much metadata current video codecs can handle? I.e. can scripts/transcripts be saved and used reliably as metadata inside of video clips like you are describing. For a ScriptSync-type situation (where the text and video are 'married' inside of the NLE) I think a lot of what you mentioned sounds feasible by just adjusting existing tech. And maybe instead of highlighting a Word doc you just highlight the text document from inside your NLE.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 8, 2016 at 6:01:15 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "SpeedScriber is a new (still in beta I think) cloud-based transcription service that is looking to eventually have ScriptSync-like features inside of PPro (among many other features).

http://www.speedscriber.com/
"

SpeedScriber is, even in beta, amazingly good, and really inexpensive compared to the established services. Combined with Lumberyard it is an enormous timesaver. Ran a few interviews through it recently... blown away.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 8, 2016 at 6:09:41 pm

[Charlie Austin] "SpeedScriber is, even in beta, amazingly good, and really inexpensive compared to the established services. Combined with Lumberyard it is an enormous timesaver. Ran a few interviews through it recently... blown away."

Agreed. I think martin is heading up a 'must have' product when it comes out of beta.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Nov 8, 2016 at 10:15:27 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "SpeedScriber is a new (still in beta I think) cloud-based transcription service that is looking to eventually have ScriptSync-like features inside of PPro (among many other features)."

Regardless of how good it is, it's functionality will be limited until text recognition is completely ingrained in the editing software. That's not saying there won't be good reason to use something like SpeedScriber until that happens.

[Andrew Kimery] " I wonder how much metadata current video codecs can handle? "

I'm thinking it would be some sort of text document (like an SRT file) that is married to the video clip within the software. Since I like open source, I'd say put it in the same folder as the media and give it the same name so it lives there with or without the editing application. It wouldn't actually be in the media file itself.

Brett Sherman

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 9, 2016 at 10:11:03 am
Last Edited By Tim Wilson on Nov 9, 2016 at 10:14:43 am

[Andrew Kimery] "ScriptSync is amazing for unscripted/documentary work as well (honestly I think it's probably more of a boon for that than for scripted, but that's just my opinion)"

Avid's opinion too. ? At least when they rolled it out under that name.

Indeed, one of my last major tasks at Avid before I left to come to Creative COW was the Avid Interplay rollout at NAB 2006, which VERY prominently featured ScriptSync, and our ONLY demos were of unscripted TV. The story being that these are the kinds of projects where you have the most stuff to sort through, and it's the least organized. We demo'd the heck out of that feature, and the response was HUGE.

That said....

[Brett Sherman] "I'm talking about text data integrated into the clip itself. So no matter where you are in the clip, it knows what is being said. "

I'm completely with you on this Brett.

At the risk of setting off a firestorm of controversy for saying anything nice about Adobe, did you see their demo at Adobe MAX of VoCo? It's a technology demo, not a product demo, and as presented here, a feature applied to audio only -- but it's pretty close to what you're talking about.

They play a clip, and it creates text in a little box under the waveform. To edit the speech, instead of digging into the waveform, it shows simply cutting and pasting the TEXT, in real time. It's off the hook.

The next thing would ONLY apply to audio-only...at least as demo'd...and that's a case where the narration was missing a couple of words, so they just TYPED THEM ON SCREEN, and VoCo SYNTHESIZED THEM based on what it had learned about the speaker's manner of speaking. The demo is very clear that it takes a good bit of speech being entered into the system to provide enough reference material to pull that off (20 minutes for now)....but it's so completely magical that their next text is to make it easily detectable at the file level.

That is, it's not detectable AT ALL at the auditory level, but there HAS to be an indelible watermark of some sort to establish that the clip has in fact been tampered with, to prevent chicanery if some baddie tries to make it sound like somebody said something that they didn't.

Check out the first 5 minutes of this clip, and I promise you'll be blown away that there's somebody out there who's thinking this far ahead, even if for audio only. For now. ?

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Nov 9, 2016 at 1:17:18 pm

[Tim Wilson] "at least as demo'd...and that's a case where the narration was missing a couple of words, so they just TYPED THEM ON SCREEN, and VoCo SYNTHESIZED THEM based on what it had learned about the speaker's manner of speaking."

Great. Now a software can make words in a human voice and make jump cuts invisible. What could go wrong?

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 9, 2016 at 3:28:27 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Great. Now a software can make words in a human voice and make jump cuts invisible. What could go wrong?"

Well, in fairness, the loudest two bits of applause were for the most magical parts of the demo, but the THIRD loudest bit of applause was for the statement that Adobe's next goal was to give the audio track a "fingerprint" to indicate beyond any doubt that the track had been edited...but yeah, that's pretty far down in the weeds. It's easy to imagine scenarios where it wouldn't matter how many times the footage had been debunked as tampered with, that the damage would already be done.

Fortunately I can count on all of you to refuse to be sucked down into this ethical maelstrom in the first place. Avoiding reshoots is one thing. This scenario is another....although it made me think, what would Eli Cross do with this? ๐Ÿ˜Ž

(I'd forgotten until I pulled this up that The Stunt Man had played exclusively in General Cinema theaters!)

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Nov 9, 2016 at 7:13:17 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Fortunately I can count on all of you to refuse to be sucked down into this ethical maelstrom in the first place."

Of course. It's those that are not here!

I mean, I worked for a large company in DC that did tons of political spots every 2 years. I am talking about the big consultants and PACs (remember Swiftboat?). I had been "promoted" to management at that point, but what I saw and heard made me believe that these guys might do anything...not saying they would, but it would be damn tempting for them.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 8, 2016 at 4:57:33 am

[Oliver Peters] "Since you could already export with roles summed into audio stems shows that this architecture was there, pre-10.3. The need to use compound clips for submixes points to a less-than-adequate approach to solving the problem. "

It's a lot different under the hood. The fact that it doesn't appear to be is, in my opinion, why this took so long. I don't think they're done, but just guessing...

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Nov 8, 2016 at 3:17:24 pm

It's going to come down to how many people are using the program like any other product and I think to that end their changes are going to cause even more people to start using the program.

I don't think Shake is a good product comparison because not even enough editors used it. It was a niche of a niche market.

I try to pay attention to marketing. Heck, that's what many of us do for a living. It's all right there on their page.

They are using the product to sell their latest hardware.

This is almost the first thing you see on the page, unlike the consumer iPhone and watch that you have to scroll almost to the bottom of the page to see. Placement folks.

Look at the first 4 apps showed. That's pretty much what people do, take pictures, shoot video, email and search the web.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 8, 2016 at 6:10:05 pm

[Tony West] "It's going to come down to how many people are using the program"

Dude, you did NOT just say that Apple will keep something around just because it's popular. In THIS forum. ?

The fact is that Apple is built on killing popular products. To name one early example, the Apple II had 50% market share when Apple started sidelining it for Mac, with, explicitly no intent to have a market share to ever approach it again.

The fact that Shake was a niche of a niche wasn't the issue. Steve bought it because he needed it for Pixar, and the price was trivial relative to its value. He rolled the tech into other products, and put the people on other projects. Classic Steve. He did that all the time, often putting people onto projects that had nothing to do with their old roles, just because he felt it was a better fit.

I still think that his primary management style was somewhere on the spectrum between sociopath and psychopath (I say in all sincerity as a former clinician and current inhabitant of that very spectrum myself), but that was pretty slick.

And Steve's most adamant point was that listening to customers is always the wrong call. Always. He aggressively mocked his competitors for their customer focus, and said it was responsible for everything that was wrong with those products. lived by that code, and demonstrated it time after time. As he put it in Forbes in 2008, customers can't see around the corners ahead, so they can't possibly know the right things to ask for.

Tim Cook is a nicer man, and I think a better CEO in every way that matters, but that heritage is still built into the company. That attitude is going to be driving development for as long as Jony Ive is anywhere near the tiller.

That's why Oliver's point remains the salient one for me. We barely know what it would look like for Apple to keep an application alive for more than 10 years, because they've only barely ever done it before. Yeah, FCPX is technically FCP, but Motion is more zombieware than not, so whether or not Apple will say anything about reaching the end of X until after the fact, what's the basis in Apple's actual history for not having a firm belief that there IS an end?

I don't think that's a cause for panic. In retrospect, exactly as I predicted would happen, the panic over X dissipated, and people either adopted it or didn't. The same'll be true next time too.

But whatever Apple's gonna do, it's not going to be driven by popularity. It'll be driven by what Apple wants the future to be for Apple, not its customers. Customers will either come along or they won't. It's hard to argue that this strategy hasn't worked out pretty well for Apple and the customers who decided to stick around.

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Nov 8, 2016 at 9:32:04 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Dude, you did NOT just say that Apple will keep something around just because it's popular. In THIS forum. ?"

hahaha indeed I did Tim.

I don't doubt Steve Jobs made those comments and I'm sure he believed he knew better than most people.

They are not in business to go out of business. It would matter to them if nobody bought their products and they went under. So I don't buy that they don't care at all about customers. That doesn't even make sense to me. Them thinking they know better than you and not caring at all, are two different things I would say.

There are just too many people out there who want to edit video and they are gong to step to that in one form or another. Will X become Y or Z in 5 years? Maybe. I just think they will be a player in the field of editing for a long time.

At the end of the day, neither you or I have a crystal ball. We are just guessing. I made my guess and you yours. We will have to wait and see who comes closest : )

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 9, 2016 at 7:44:10 am

[Tony West] " Them thinking they know better than you and not caring at all, are two different things I would say."

Quite so, and poorly stated on my part. They most definitely DO care, which is one reason they so quickly responded to what I am officially naming The Connector Disconnect with their recent rollouts by lowering prices. They CARE that people were upset.

And as I noted, I believe that this is a hallmark of Tim C's management style....but you're right about the distinction, and you're right that I muddled it.

[Tony West] " I just think they will be a player in the field of editing for a long time."

I'm positive they will be. Just not necessarily with X. While it obviously built on FCP, I think it's also not accurate to say that it's NOT a different product.

Likewise, Apple is still a key player in computing even though they killed the platform with the biggest market share they ever achieved, and likely ever will in Apple II. THAT's what I meant when I said that popularity has never driven their strategies. Yes, they'll kill something unprofitable, but they've killed profitable things too!

[Tony West] "At the end of the day, neither you or I have a crystal ball. We are just guessing. I made my guess and you yours. We will have to wait and see who comes closest : )"

While we generally agree that Apple will still be in the game for the foreseeable future, my record on predicting Apple is horrible! I've always been WAY too enthusiastic.

My biggest howler was my adamant assertion in 2011 and 2012 that Apple SURELY sold AT LEAST 10 million copies of FCPX within the first few months of release, and quite likely many more, since of course Apple would never settle for selling "only" 10 million of anything. Here's one example among many threads where I said that, from 2012.

Frankly, I doubt that it's as little as 10 million, but I doubt we'll ever know for sure. It's certainly closer to the kinds of number Apple looks for from software -- but even there, still short of Apple-like numbers for anything.

I also said that if I were in charge and discovered that as FEW as 10 million copies were sold in the first year, I'd fire everyone in the marketing department.

Oops. Turns out that it took them THREE years to sell ONE million. ?

But what does it mean for X's future if my predictions are consistently too rosy? ???

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Nov 10, 2016 at 6:59:39 am

I guess what I would say Tim is, if they replace X with something that I like even more I won't be upset. I liked Legend right up until I started really enjoying X

I think as long as they want to sell Pro computers they need Pro apps to go with those computers.

What is your guess on them wanting to sell Pro computers in the future?

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 10, 2016 at 7:40:32 pm

[Tony West] "I guess what I would say Tim is, if they replace X with something that I like even more I won't be upset. I liked Legend right up until I started really enjoying X"

I 100% agree with you on this, but I am also sensitive to WHY somebody else somebody else would find the discontinuity a deal breaker. For THEM, there are two separate products, and the new one is a no-go.

But I think it's not unlike all the other issues. Jim Wiseman will tell you that his Apple II is a current machine for his workflows and works just fine...but some of my favorite Apple II software not only never made it to Mac, it simply disappeared.

Even within the world of software released BY Apple, the percentage of it that didn't reach its 10th anniversary without becoming zombieware is pretty close to 100%. That's why this remains a legit topic.

[Tony West] "What is your guess on them wanting to sell Pro computers in the future?"

That's a really interesting question to me. There was a time when Apple really did want to sell their top-end computers as the baddest in the land. The 1999 "Supercomputer" ad is a work of mad genius, and ends with the best Windows joke of all time...even if the ad as a whole is riddled with...let's call them exaggerations. Still fun, though.

After that, though, I think they understood that they didn't want to compete with the Intergraphs of the world. Remember THOSE? Purple cases, and they were HUGE, but they were as powerful as they looked.

When you compare a Mac Pro to an HP Z workstation (512 GB RAM -- srlsy tho -- multiple graphics cards, etc), an Octane, or what have you, you can even argue that Apple only BARELY cares about pro computing AT ALL...

...but really, the iMac is pretty slick. And Apple has ALWAYS considered the MBP to be FULLY pro. Certainly the iconography of the FCP introduction was all about the laptop...although, admittedly, the opening iconography was also all about DV.

Still, when they banged the drum for ProRes 4444 support in ARRI Alexa, they used the laptop again. As a marketeer, I love this picture. VERY powerful message. This camera looks like it belongs with the MBP every bit as the Panasonic DVX-100a DV camera did!!!

Which raises the question, Tony, what would a pro computer from Apple have to be to answer your question in the affirmative....

...AND to not chase people off the platform the way the trashcan did. ๐Ÿ˜

Your thoughts?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 10, 2016 at 8:45:23 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Which raises the question, Tony, what would a pro computer from Apple have to be to answer your question in the affirmative...."

I think you have to disassociate Apple's use of "pro" from the meaning of "professional user". When they say "pro" these days, they mean that the product is for a more advanced user than the model(s) below it. Therefore iPad Pro doesn't really mean it's for "professionals" as a replacement for a laptop - simply that it provides more advanced functions and horsepower for users that need or want it in that form factor. I think that applies just as much to their computers.

But, that being said, it seems to me that they are trying to optimize the combination of the GPU and CPU in ways that other companies aren't. So let the GPU makers do the heavy lifting, and the OS takes care of applying that power so that you don't necessarily need the biggest, baddest CPU.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Nov 11, 2016 at 6:17:30 am

[Tim Wilson] "Which raises the question, Tony, what would a pro computer from Apple have to be to answer your question in the affirmative....

...AND to not chase people off the platform the way the trashcan did. ๐Ÿ˜"

I really just want maximum performance with the highest quality formats used in the market today.

No matter what I throw at it, it just performs smoothly.

I'm not sure, but if they have lower end computers that are cheaper and they want to sell higher end computers for a higher price, why should I buy that more expensive computer? Whats the incentive to buy a higher price computer if it can't do more than a cheaper computer? How do you showcase that it can do more? With Pro Apps doing things that require more power than a cheaper computer has?

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 10, 2016 at 8:52:22 pm

Yes. I'd pretty much given up on it having any actual utility for me. Now, given some free time, I'll learn it. I also have to figure out how to buy it. Since I returned the original years ago, the Apple store doesn't have a purchase option for me. Probably just have to call or email someone.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]