APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

safe to update to 3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
safe to update to 3
on Oct 29, 2016 at 8:07:24 pm

Surprised not seeing the usual warnings of bugs and experiment on a separate drive etc.
Is it safe to just update or do I keep the older version for unfinished projects. If so how to start learning 3 on same computer as previous?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: safe to update to 3
on Oct 29, 2016 at 9:18:52 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Oct 29, 2016 at 9:19:27 pm

I started a bug thread here:

https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/344/44751

Nothing earth-shattering. Just some UI bugs. I see some flakiness with existing Libraries that have been upgraded. You may be fine, but you'll probably have the best results with a fresh Library.

Also trash your FCPX preferences.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Oct 29, 2016 at 9:20:14 pm

I'm not updating on my main editing desktop. But I have both FCPX 10.2.3 and 10.3 on my laptop working fine as far as I can tell. Not sure I would do this on a mission critical editing station but:

Before you download 10.3, zip your 10.2.3 version and put it in an FCP archive folder in your applications folder. Before zipping rename to "Final Cut Pro 100203" or something like that.

Then download 10.3 (this will replace your unzipped 10.2.3 version). Rename it to "Final Cut Pro 1003" or something of that sort. Zip it, and put that zip file in your FCP archive folder.

Unzip the 10.2.3 version and put it back in the root applications folder where it will coexist with 10.3.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 29, 2016 at 9:34:39 pm

No showstoppers here.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 30, 2016 at 4:03:31 am

As long as you have backups.. do it. ? All good here on a lot of Libraries. Just do a little QC on your projects, make sure roles are all good etc. Lanes view makes it much easier to spot clips with incorrect Roles FWIW.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Oct 30, 2016 at 7:57:43 pm

I jumped off the cliff in the middle of a feature film laughing in the face of danger and loving it! Of course I had another Mac Pro standing by with 10.23 and the entire project just in case....

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Ron Hurtibise
on Oct 31, 2016 at 5:17:27 pm

10.3 kept crashing every time I tried to load a project that was rock stable in 10.2.3. I trashed my preferences and unused render files as well as opened the application by clicking the library, but it's been crashing every time. On the application forum, it was suggested that I also delete ALL (not just unused) render files. Will try that tonight and see if it works.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Oct 31, 2016 at 5:50:37 pm

[Ron Hurtibise] "0.3 kept crashing every time I tried to load a project that was rock stable in 10.2.3"

Can you post your system specs?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 2, 2016 at 3:26:38 am

[Ron Hurtibise] "On the application forum, it was suggested that I also delete ALL (not just unused) render files."

I'd delete the entire cache file, not just render.

If that doesn't work, I'd remove any motion templates/plugins.

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Oct 31, 2016 at 5:38:23 pm

I would be careful Craig. I have one major project that keeps crashing when I try to open it.
Others seems fine.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 31, 2016 at 5:47:50 pm

Tony,
any features being used in that project that makes it different from the others -- a lot of compounded clips or plug ins, color corrected etc.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Oct 31, 2016 at 7:56:54 pm

Yes, all of the above.

I know that "Neatvideo" and RX 4 are not supported. I used both of those and didn't on the other projects that opened.

Return to posts index

Ron Hurtibise
on Oct 31, 2016 at 9:47:50 pm

I'm using a 2010 Mac Pro with 16 G memory, Sierra, and two graphics cards: the supplied ATI Radeon and a NVIDIA Quadro 4000 for Mac. I updated to the latest available Quadro and CUDA. That didn't work. Then I removed the Quadro (but not the drivers or CUDA) and it still kept crashing. I was thinking there might be a compatibility problem with the latest Sierra version and the Quadro drivers but when I'm not having any problem with these same projects on 10.2.3 with the same configuration and both cards

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 1, 2016 at 5:20:23 pm

How are your finding rx 4 for removing unwanted b.g. noise? Will RX 5 work with FCP X 3?

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Nov 2, 2016 at 12:38:07 am

[Craig Alan] "How are your finding rx 4 for removing unwanted b.g. noise? Will RX 5 work with FCP X 3?"

RX5 works as far as I can tell (as well as Ozone 6); have not used it extensively. I have heard reports that RX4 no longer works, but I don not have it installed, so I cannot sure.

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Oct 31, 2016 at 11:15:16 pm

I'm back in business after finding this post

"This worked for me. Go to your Movies folder, right click on the library that won't update and select "Show package contents". Move this file to the trash: CurrentVersion.flexolibrary. Then, re-open FCPX 10.3 and go to File > Open Library > Other and direct it to the library in question. "

Worked like a charm.

Return to posts index

Ron Hurtibise
on Nov 1, 2016 at 2:16:26 am

Oh well. Trashing all render files didn't stop it from crashing after I load a previous project to the 10.3 timeline. Guess I'm going back to 10.2.3 until this gets fix\d

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Nov 1, 2016 at 4:44:58 am

I haven't attempted to upgrade yet myself, but maybe try removing one of the two video cards? I could see it getting confused there.

http://scottgfx.com

Return to posts index

Ron Hurtibise
on Nov 1, 2016 at 3:35:43 pm

Thanks. I removed the Quadro (but not the drivers) but it still crashed. I'd hate to remove it permanently because it improves my Adobe CC performance and has no detrimental effect on FCPX 10.2.3

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 1, 2016 at 4:18:33 pm

Did you try Tony's suggestion above.

Return to posts index

Ron Hurtibise
on Nov 1, 2016 at 4:24:37 pm

Yes, I tried that last night. It didn't work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]