APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Well, I like it...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
Well, I like it...
on Oct 27, 2016 at 11:35:26 pm

Worth the wait for me...

https://fcpxpert.net/2016/10/27/final-cut-pro-x-10-3-first-look/

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
Re: Well, I like it...
on Oct 28, 2016 at 12:29:24 am

Me too! Been working on it for a couple of hours - yes a paid gig that was started in previous version lol - much snappier!

One question is rec.2020 color - apparently only works on iMac or NEW Macbook Pro? Why would they care and grey it out?

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Oct 28, 2016 at 12:35:16 am

It looks like rec.2020 works on all installs of final cut across all systems. But you’ll only be able to see the wider colors if you have a monitor that can display those colors.

Working with Wide Color Gamut in Final Cut Pro X
http://images.apple.com/final-cut-pro/docs/Wide_Color_Gamut.pdf

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Oct 28, 2016 at 12:37:49 am

So my Rec. 2020 button is greyed out even though I have a Radeon R9 280x - guess it's not new enough. Both my monitors are 4K Rec.2020 capable :(

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Oct 28, 2016 at 1:04:46 am

Create a wide color library by opening up library prefs and scrolling down to the bottom to color processing.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Oct 28, 2016 at 5:14:57 am

Yep found it thanks! It has to be set at the Library level then the Project settings will give you the option. So many cool features in this update it's like Christmas came early!

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 28, 2016 at 8:06:52 am

If, like me, you like the new version, then I'm sure Apple would be very happy if you left a review on the App Store

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Oct 28, 2016 at 12:39:45 am

Looks good to me! The stuff I've always felt was missing seems to be there. I can't wait to play with it.

Return to posts index

Mike Warmels
on Oct 28, 2016 at 10:16:35 am

Frankly, it looks like they're adding a lot of options FCP7 already had. And AVID's had for ages (like color coding audio tracks, ordering them (here: audio lanes and moving up or down entire role), the remove attributes option).

Is this the beginning of the end of the 'new paradigm'. It does look like they're reinventing stuff that's been around for a long time.

All I can hope is that the performance is better. Getting tired of FCPX slowness on bigger projects... err.... I mean Libraries.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 28, 2016 at 11:52:11 am

I'm pretty sure NO NLE has had the functionality that Rokes now offers.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 28, 2016 at 3:56:01 pm

[Steve Connor] "I'm pretty sure NO NLE has had the functionality that Rokes now offers."

Well, except that having to step in and out of compound clips to tweak your clips levels, while trying to mix, is a roadblock. This makes the process quite modal, which is something that X is supposed to move away from. There's no way to adjust a component dialogue clip and still have access to effects and music that's surrounding it. It's also something I don't have to do in a traditional track layout.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 28, 2016 at 4:05:41 pm

[Oliver Peters] "This makes the process quite modal, which is something that X is supposed to move away from."

I'll agree that Role based mixing is still a work in progress. What they've done is made it work. Now they can make it work more efficiently. You've seen the "mixer" patent right? Now they can implement it if they want.

For me, the improvements to Roles, and how you can interact with them in the Timeline is the benefit right now. There's is nothing at all like it and for Projects with tons of layered audio this is a dream come true. I've had to move X projects to Premiere recently and, for me, what was easily manageable in X, is a giant PITA in Pr. I can work with it of course, and I'm not Pr bashing here, but the difference is even more pronounced than it was before...

~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~

Return to posts index

Mike Warmels
on Oct 30, 2016 at 12:29:28 pm

"They made it work..." Well, what achievement... It worked once quite well in other NLE's.

And I agree with Oliver, the functionality of opening them up not only makes it modal... it makes my screen way too small for functionality. And I have a 30 inch screen. With this kind of functionality I need two of them. And maybe even turned 90 degrees so I have more height.

Still, happy with the Audio Lanes! That sure makes the overview a lot better... or should I say: more like it once was in FCP7 and like it is in AVID and Premiere. Maybe what they came up with and what has worked well for so long wasn't so bad after all.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 30, 2016 at 3:52:40 pm

[Mike Warmels] ""They made it work..." Well, what achievement... It worked once quite well in other NLE's. "

lol... nice out of context quote, do you work for the press? ?

I think you know what I meant though right? They built the framework, now they can flesh it out. And while it's the same end result as have a mixer, there's a whole lot less patching and track assigning etc involved. Less complexity is better I think. I'm interested to see where they go with this...

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 30, 2016 at 4:00:04 pm

[Charlie Austin] "I'm interested to see where they go with this..."

So am I, will be interested to see if there was any chat about it at the Summit

Return to posts index

Mike Warmels
on Oct 30, 2016 at 6:51:35 pm

No, the point is this: they come up with this 'new paradigm' discarding a whole lot of stuff from 'traditional' NLE's. And slowly but slowly they start putting things back these 'traditional' NLE's had. Somewhat altered, something that kinda fits with the 'new paradigm' but in the end they're putting stuff back in people have been asking for for ages. Stuff they knew from the 'traditional NLE's'. Or as it has been put on this forum: they're ticking a lot of boxes. Boxes with content we had once and has been absent for a few years due to the 'new paradigm',

All in all, it's rather ironic. One day FCPX might actually turn out to be a proper, professional NLE. Next on the wish list: AAF exports from FCPX, not through some 3rd party software.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 30, 2016 at 7:09:11 pm

[Mike Warmels] "All in all, it's rather ironic. One day FCPX might actually turn out to be a proper, professional NLE"

Seriously?

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Oct 30, 2016 at 10:41:20 pm

[Mike Warmels] "One day FCPX might actually turn out to be a proper, professional NLE"

Yawn. Damn, once again I realize after 35 years, I am not a professional. ?

Crissakes, Mike. If you don't like it, don't use it. You're not convincing anyone here.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 30, 2016 at 10:44:27 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "If you don't like it, don't use it. You're not convincing anyone here."

Well, he is providing confirmation bias for some... ;-)

Return to posts index

Mike Warmels
on Oct 31, 2016 at 10:05:15 am

Here we go again... did I step on anyone toes again?

Of course you're a professional. But just you being a professional doesn't do away with the fact that FCPX still has issues. And honestly, after 35 years you to must have seen that stuff goes away for new ideas and then after while it comes back again. Some 'old stuff' wasn't so bad after all. The whole Audio Lanes thing kinda proves that 'this pesky tracks' did have some benefits.

Don't take this all so personal! Every time I address issues on FCPX, I get responses like this: "O, so I am not a professional...". I just don't get why people get so overexcited for stuff we have so dearly needed for many years. The feeling I have is: "finally!"

And yeah, I wouldn't mind not working with FCPX. But, my major client works on it, so I have to. I can make beautiful stuff on it, some features of FCPX are quite great, I don't mind the UI or the editing features. I do mind the more technical elements, like the lack of AAF export from FCPX, the way the audio is mapped (the automatic assignment of mono-stereo-surround etc - which we can now FINALLY turn off!), how excruciatingly long it takes to relink projects, the sluggishness in larger projects... And no, these are not personal experiences. Every editor I know on FCPX experiences these issues, though I know many of you have perfect performance on every level. So to me FCPX still has quite a long way to go. 10.3 is a very good step in the right direction, although I do find it late. But better late than never.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 31, 2016 at 10:16:18 am

[Mike Warmels] "like the lack of AAF export from FCPX"

Handled very well by a low cost third party plugin, it's never going to have it natively and nitpicking about it NOT having it makes no sense at all.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Oct 28, 2016 at 4:38:30 pm

Kind of honour bound to say that, to be fair, that really does look pretty cool. They ticked a whole pile of boxes there.
All they had to do was release this in 2011 and we all might not have run off screaming.

Return to posts index

Kirk Pitts
on Oct 28, 2016 at 11:43:47 pm

Wow, only had a chance to start it up and see what happens so far but it seems much faster! Can't wait to spend more time.

Kirk Pitts.
video amateur.
Personal skateboard and band historian. ;)

Return to posts index

Gerry Fraiberg
on Oct 30, 2016 at 5:03:21 pm

The Flow dissolve is a nice addition, which will clean up jump cuts in interview edits. Cross Dissolve worked, but was never as smooth as this.

- Gerry Fraiberg
Media Handyman - videographer, editor, photographer, voice over artist.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 30, 2016 at 5:20:46 pm

[Gerry Fraiberg] "The Flow dissolve is a nice addition, which will clean up jump cuts in interview edits. Cross Dissolve worked, but was never as smooth as this."

I've played with this a bit. When you use its short default transition it tends to look more like a dissolve than a morph. If you really stretch out the duration and try it on something that doesn't really match, it looks a bit like a morph between two still frames. When used as intended, it's pretty effective. And it's impressive that it does this in real-time. I think the Adobe solution is technically more accurate, although I've found it to be slow and crash-prone.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Duncan Craig
on Oct 30, 2016 at 10:01:04 pm

I jumped straight on this new feature to see how it compared to Motion VFX's mMorphCut.
Simple answer, it's horrible, as it freeze frames the outgoing and incoming and morphs between them.

mMorphCut keeps the footage moving and works instantly with seemingly no processing or rendering.
You can trim a frame here or there to try different morph points and it just works.

FS100, EX1, GoPro, 2x Hacks, FCPX etc

Return to posts index

Mike Warmels
on Oct 31, 2016 at 10:06:07 am

It would certainly help directors who forget to shoot coverage! ;-)

Return to posts index

Dean Neal
on Oct 31, 2016 at 1:20:08 pm

[Mike Warmels] "It would certainly help directors who forget to shoot coverage! ;-)"

Liking the update so far...particularly the development of Roles and Lanes.

It isn't just pseudo-tracks - imagine on content import in PPro or MC you can assign audio track numbers (eg. A5 and A6)...on IMPORT.

Thats what this version of X offers when importing media.

It keeps the enjoyment and fluidity of the magnetic timeline paradigm intact.

I like a lot of things about PPro... but after undertaking work in it this week, it confirms to me FCP X's strongest suit - Media Management.

Simply being able to have the same Media Files in multiple 'soft' bins (Keyword Collections) is brilliant.

As for the lack of B-Roll (coverage) - people can also re-zoom shots on the cut... particularly if shooting in 4K... gives a nice Camera reposition effect without the need of any morph-cuts etc.

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

Mike Warmels
on Nov 7, 2016 at 1:00:03 pm

Hmm.. You've got media management and the organisation of your footage IN FCPX app confused, if you ask me.

I think the management of the ACTUAL media one of the weakest points of FCPX. And I'm talking about the location of the mediafiles.

You basically have two choices:
1. Import all media into the Libray, making it a HUUUUGE file. Which makes it hard for exchange with other editors.
2. Storing it yourself where you have to do the media management yourself, which makes it very vulnerable when working with others on a series or big project.

It's nice to organise it with folders an keywords, I agree. But the rest of the media management, or should I say the REAL media management is not so great. Try relinking a big project: it takes ages!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]