APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Remember the Asymmetrical Dissolve Debate?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
Remember the Asymmetrical Dissolve Debate?
on Apr 4, 2016 at 10:15:14 pm

Simon and Co. have just solved that. :-) Really cool plugin!

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
Re: Remember the Asymmetrical Dissolve Debate?
on Apr 4, 2016 at 11:04:56 pm

That is just slick.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 4, 2016 at 11:07:01 pm

[Shawn Miller] "That is just slick."

Yeah, it really is one of the most original plugins I've seen in a long time.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 5, 2016 at 1:54:58 am

OK, I'm switching to FCX specifically because of this plugin!

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 5, 2016 at 5:18:46 pm

Since I was pretty much on Charlie's side of the debate originally, I'll cop to the fact that I was also wrong about the "a dissolve is a dissolve" thing.

This looks really well conceived and implemented.

Don't know how many of my corporate type of video clients will appreciate the distinctions - but that's not the point.

There are (hopefully) legions of editors who will appreciate the control and be delighted to pay for the new capabilities.

Well done.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 5, 2016 at 6:34:03 pm

[Bill Davis] "Don't know how many of my corporate type of video clients will appreciate the distinctions - but that's not the point."

I agree, but the important part that I will

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 5, 2016 at 7:02:57 pm

[Bill Davis] "There are (hopefully) legions of editors who will appreciate the control and be delighted to pay for the new capabilities. "

Thanks, Bill. I seriously doubt that we're going to sell enough units to cover the time we have spent developing it, but that was never really the point. We both became really engrossed in the challenge that it represented and we've discovered some really interesting things along the way, so really that's the payback. Yup, we're lousy businessmen, that's for sure ;-)

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 5, 2016 at 7:10:14 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Thanks, Bill. I seriously doubt that we're going to sell enough units to cover the time we have spent developing it, but that was never really the point. We both became really engrossed in the challenge that it represented and we've discovered some really interesting things along the way, so really that's the payback. Yup, we're lousy businessmen, that's for sure ;-)"

Maybe you could distribute through RedGiant like Trapcode does? It's an excellent plugin, something every FCPX user should be interested in. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 5, 2016 at 7:31:46 pm

[Shawn Miller] "Maybe you could distribute through RedGiant like Trapcode does? It's an excellent plugin, something every FCPX user should be interested in. :-)"

And if you're game Simon, I think a lot of Premiere Pro users would be interested as well!

linkedIn: http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
vimeo: vimeo.com/album/2271696
web: propaganda.com
facebook: /dlawrence
twitter: @dhl

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 5, 2016 at 7:37:47 pm

[David Lawrence] "And if you're game Simon, I think a lot of Premiere Pro users would be interested as well!
"

Just use X David, it's better anyway. :ducks and runs away cackling maniacally: ;-)

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 5, 2016 at 7:35:57 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Just use X David, it's better anyway. :ducks and runs away cackling maniacally: ;-)
"

Yes David, don't forget you can turn off the magnetic timeline :)

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 5, 2016 at 8:16:19 pm

If it were subscription only I would be interested. ;-)

Just kidding of course and I will be making a purchase. Kudos to Simon and the team! Now if someone could come up with a node based color correction plugin. I loathe round tripping.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 5, 2016 at 10:11:17 pm

[David Lawrence] "[Shawn Miller] "Maybe you could distribute through RedGiant like Trapcode does? It's an excellent plugin, something every FCPX user should be interested in. :-)"

And if you're game Simon, I think a lot of Premiere Pro users would be interested as well!"

I would definitely buy it. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 5, 2016 at 7:36:26 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] " I seriously doubt that we're going to sell enough units to cover the time we have spent developing it, but that was never really the point. "

I think that's a function of how well the word gets out. I watched the video... dropped what I was doing and bought it. I think they'll be fairly common... but then all your stuff is pretty much must have...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 4, 2016 at 11:51:40 pm

Well, I think we've finally managed to settle one debate around here. It can be done, and there are artistic, creative reasons for doing so.

Having developed, or been part of development teams for, a number of plug-ins over the years, this is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen. Elegant, practical, powerful, unique, and genuinely transformative.

There hasn't been a substantive change to our basic visual vocabulary for transitioning between scenes in a very long time, and I think this has the potential to be the biggest since the optical dissolve.

No kidding. This is an insane amount of power, my children. Use it wisely.

Or not. It's a plug-in. Go crazy. LOL

Another winner from Simon Ubsdell and Hawaiki -- not that there was ever any debate about that.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 5, 2016 at 8:31:24 am

Wow! Thank you so much, Tim (and others), for your extremely kind words!

I'd really like to step up and take all the credit but really I don't deserve any of it and it should go to my very talented (and ever so slightly obsessive) Hawaiki development partner, Rob Mackintosh. My only contribution was to come up with fantastical, unreasonable, impossible demands which he then not only turned into reality, but in each case massively improved upon in the execution.

I should also thank Oliver P., Jeremy G., Charlie A. and Walter S. who gave up their valuable time to beta test it and each contributed great ideas for how to improve it.

It should also be obvious to those of you who have been around here for a while, as Charlie alludes to above, that the original inspiration for this came from the many debates that have taken place on this very forum on the subject of dissolves, and of course this recent one in particular. As ever, this place is a great crucible of fascinating discussion and provocative, crazy, brilliant ideas, which it's hard not to be inspired by, so thanks to all of you for that!

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Apr 5, 2016 at 3:25:49 pm

Is it going to be just an fcpx app?

Ricardo

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 5, 2016 at 7:23:01 pm

[Ricardo Marty] "Is it going to be just an fcpx app?"

Hi Ricardo,

Yes, we do have a Premiere version in beta, but for now we are going to wait and see how it goes.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 6, 2016 at 12:23:50 am

[Simon Ubsdell] "Yes, we do have a Premiere version in beta, but for now we are going to wait and see how it goes."

Such great plugins. I would love to see all your plugins going OpenFX.

Now I am going to have editors ask me to replicate this when finishing in Resolve. It is going to be very time consuming layering clips and doing asymetrical opacity ramping keyframes whilst dissolving through to split clips with changed blend modes. :)

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 5, 2016 at 4:54:45 am

Wait, how can there possibly be a plug-in for something that DOESN'T EXIST???

Seriously though, great work Simon! :)

linkedIn: http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
vimeo: vimeo.com/album/2271696
web: propaganda.com
facebook: /dlawrence
twitter: @dhl

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 5, 2016 at 7:57:45 am

Excellent work Simon, looking forward to using it

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Apr 5, 2016 at 8:21:25 am

Yaaay! Well done Simon:)

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Apr 6, 2016 at 8:29:25 am

I don't really have a need for an assymetrical dissolve, but this plugin looks really fantastic. If I ever need one, I know where to spend my money :-)

I did buy Simon's (Hawaiki's) Picture-in-picture plugin and I can vouch for excellent customer service from Simon!

Simon: if you are looking for people to know about the plugin, maybe contact Peter from FC.co to put an article about it on his website? It will give extra eyes to the existence of the plugin.

https://mathieughekiere.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Apr 6, 2016 at 1:47:44 pm

Simon, when you code it for PPro, make sure it requires at least 4 TRACKS to make it work. 'Cuase you know thems PPro folks odn't want nuthin' what don't got no tracks. :D So mo' tracks = bettah.

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
CMX-Quantel-Avid-Premiere-FCPX-AFX-Crayola
"What a long strange trip it's been...."

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Apr 6, 2016 at 1:48:25 pm

OK, so I watched the clip after posting the fun dig above, so I've got to get serious and say...

WOW.

Nicely done. Yeah, gonna buy that.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 6, 2016 at 2:18:24 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "I don't really have a need for an assymetrical dissolve, but this plugin looks really fantastic. If I ever need one, I know where to spend my money :-)"

Creatively this plug in is a lot more than just an asymmetric dissolve

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Apr 6, 2016 at 2:32:09 pm

You're right, it is. The demo looks very impressive. In my work up until now, I haven't needed more then a standard dissolve, but it's a great option for if I ever want or need more. I'll surely keep it in the back of my head.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Apr 6, 2016 at 2:34:14 pm

You're right, it is. The demo looks very impressive. In my work up until now, I haven't needed more then a standard dissolve, but it's a great option for if I ever want or need more. I'll surely keep it in the back of my head.

It's both impressive in capability and in the user interface that they found to make the power of the plugin visual. It seems like a small thing, but I can imagine this taking a lot of resources finding a user interface to let you animate stuff or see how a preset will look like and how you can change parameters.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 6, 2016 at 3:36:13 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "I haven't needed more then a standard dissolve, but it's a great option for if I ever want or need more. I'll surely keep it in the back of my head. "

In my opinion, this is more than just a dissolve. Yes, it's a dissolve as technique (simplified as opacity transitions between two clips), but this plugin involves compositing techniques, as do many of Simon's plugins. They introduce the basic elements of mattes and compositing to allow for very powerful and unique features.

The split matte function of the dissolves allow some really cool looks.

This plugin is very deep. It's good to be able to set aside some time to spend with it.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 6, 2016 at 8:26:39 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "In my opinion, this is more than just a dissolve. Yes, it's a dissolve as technique (simplified as opacity transitions between two clips), but this plugin involves compositing techniques, as do many of Simon's plugins."

I wasn't exaggerating when I said this might be the biggest innovation since the original optical dissolve. Dialing back the hyperbole the tiniest bit (what? WHY?), I'll say it's definitely the biggest innovation in the digital era.

Compositing is the key, and here's why. Our old friend mixing pixels and pigments versus mixing light.

Light, "all on" = white.
Pigments & pixels, "all on" = black.

What's going on behind the scenes in a digital dissolve is a grayscale alpha mask, so at 50-50, you have the images at their dimmest, viewed through an invisible, but now perceptible, 50% gray mask.

Compared to an optical film dissolve, EXPOSED by LIGHT, rather than HIDDEN by a pair of masks.

The addition of compositing modes (aka blend modes, or apply modes) allow you to add back in the brightness in ways that are customized for the relationship between the clips -- to oversimplify, two bright clips have a different relationship to the light than two dark ones, or a transition between a dark clip and a bright one.

I think any spot producer, certainly any trailer producer, anyone working on bumpers, opens, title sequences, a good many folks working with graphics, ANY kind of high-impact editing, will find this a powerful toolset for adding a spectacular level of finesse with just a few quick clicks, without sacrificing extraordinary control.

That's an awful lot of adjectives, but I honestly think that the artistic and technical implications of this are far-reaching enough that Simon and I have been chatting offline for a separate article about the art and science of dissolves over the years. I've already teased my primary starting point, but I'll save Simon's for the article. :-)

This whole area is a feast for any visual nerd, as is this plug-in. Even for someone with no particular interest in raising their dissolve game, this is a delight for anyone who cares about imaging in general. Very much worth exploring for its own pleasures.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 7, 2016 at 3:47:48 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Apr 11, 2016 at 12:50:54 pm

A huge thanks to Tim and everyone else for your extremely (even excessively!) generous comments. And an even bigger thank you to the intrepid few who have already put down good money for this crazy adventure into the unknown. Please let us know if you have any suggestions for improvements or additional features.

I should stress that we embarked on this very much as a "proof of concept" - a way of exploring not just what we mean by a dissolve, but what it could be if you disregarded a lot of the "rules". As such it's still a work in progress, and we already have a few more interesting ideas of how to take it further, particularly in terms of the response curves which are one of the really key factors in my view.

One thing I would say though is that although I do harbour a certain nostalgia for what you could do on film, I certainly wouldn't hold up film optical dissolves as an ideal - not least because they necessarily involved considerable generation loss, leading not just to loss of picture quality but also an exaggeration of film response characteristics that was not necessarily very attractive at all. (Contact-printed dissolves done in the lab fared a lot better of course because you avoided the generation loss, but there were limitations there too not least in terms of duration choices.)

So with Super Dissolve we've definitely not taken film emulation as a starting point - I'm always a bit suspicious of the whole notion of film emulation anyway, but that's a whole other story. (Although I should add that you can probably achieve most types of filmic look pretty easily.) What we wanted to do was explore the widest possible range of options as to how a dissolve could be composited and I think factoring in all the variables over which we've given you control, you'll see that the possibilities are multiplied to a very considerable degree. I also think that the ideal dissolve depends not just on personal taste (I know I have some very strong dislikes!), but also on the exact nature of the two shots you are combining - and that's almost never going to be the same from one transition to another. So having a really wide range of possible approaches has to be a good thing ... I hope.

Many thanks again.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 7, 2016 at 4:35:40 pm

[Tim Wilson] "I think any spot producer, certainly any trailer producer, anyone working on bumpers, opens, title sequences, a good many folks working with graphics, ANY kind of high-impact editing, will find this a powerful toolset for adding a spectacular level of finesse with just a few quick clicks, without sacrificing extraordinary control.

That's an awful lot of adjectives,"

I think you nailed it.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 7, 2016 at 6:33:52 pm

[Tim Wilson] "I think any spot producer, certainly any trailer producer, anyone working on bumpers, opens, title sequences, a good many folks working with graphics, ANY kind of high-impact editing, will find this a powerful toolset"

I just wanted to mention in this context, speaking as an editor who works in the fields you are describing (and I know that there are a few of us on this forum), that more often than not we will be using fades or dips rather than dissolves these days - which are obviously a variety of dissolve but which also have their own specific requirements.

Just because you're "only" transitioning to black (or white, or a lot more rarely some other colour), doesn't mean there aren't issues with the way that the compositing works. You mention the "gray" quality that digital dissolves often exhibit and of course if whites are fading to black (or vice versa) you're always going to get some form of gray - the ideal is for the transition to mask that characteristic as much as possible (I think), and that's where you need some tricky compositing.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 7, 2016 at 7:24:22 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "I just wanted to mention in this context, speaking as an editor who works in the fields you are describing (and I know that there are a few of us on this forum), that more often than not we will be using fades or dips rather than dissolves these days - which are obviously a variety of dissolve but which also have their own specific requirements. "

This is my favorite part of your plug-in!

With a few flicks, the dissolve can be more of a dip. you can delay the start, the end, the curve, the composite, added color, the grey, the sweep of the luma.

It's like adding a dissolve to dips.

It's awesome.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 7, 2016 at 7:32:37 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "I just wanted to mention in this context, speaking as an editor who works in the fields you are describing (and I know that there are a few of us on this forum), that more often than not we will be using fades or dips rather than dissolves these days - which are obviously a variety of dissolve but which also have their own specific requirements. "

This is my favorite part of your plug-in!

With a few flicks, the dissolve can be more of a dip. you can delay the start, the end, the curve, the composite, added color, the grey, the sweep of the luma, separate from the luma in the clips.

It's like adding a dissolve to dips.

It's awesome.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Apr 8, 2016 at 12:26:11 pm

Although I use dissolve sparingly, I'm adding this to my list of must have plug-ins:

Super Dissolve, Color Finale, Film Convert, Dashwood Editor Essentials (for the White Balance plugin), Neat Video, CineFlare Detailer

Now maybe Simon could work on a Pan and Zoom plug-in and actually do it right!

Return to posts index

Kirk Pitts
on Apr 10, 2016 at 3:28:36 pm

Really nice plugin. I wonder if there will be a way to share presets? I would love to get some ideas on settings with this.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 10, 2016 at 4:46:05 pm

[Kirk Pitts] "I wonder if there will be a way to share presets? I would love to get some ideas on settings with this."

Hi Kirk,

If you'd like to save any of your dissolves/dips/fades as presets for future use or for sharing with other users, you can do this via the presets option.

Simply click on the Presets/Save As button to save your current settings. (You can find this at the bottom of the Inspector.) The default path is User/Library/Application Support/FxFactory/Presets, but you can save to a destination of your choice. To recall a preset, simply click on the Open button and navigate to wherever you have saved it.

For more information about Super Dissolve, you can find the manual here. Or if you'd like to contact us directly, we are always very happy to try and help.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Kirk Pitts
on Apr 10, 2016 at 7:35:01 pm

Thanks, I wasn't completely clear. I know I can save presets and share them. But what I really want is to be able to download some presets from other more experienced users so I can learn from examples. Some example of starting points to work from.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 11, 2016 at 10:29:26 am

[Kirk Pitts] "Thanks, I wasn't completely clear. I know I can save presets and share them. But what I really want is to be able to download some presets from other more experienced users so I can learn from examples. Some example of starting points to work from."

OK, sorry, I see what you're saying.

Given that we only released a week ago today, I'm not sure that there will be that many users who have built and shared presets so far, but it might be worth asking on the FCP X Techniques Forum or indeed on fcp.co (if we are allowed to mention it here).

We do plan to offer a presets package when we come to the next release (which should also be available for Premiere users), but so far I'm still experimenting myself because the range of options is so very diverse.

I can tell you that I really like switching to Overlay blend mode for fades and dips. Also if I'm wanting to emulate a film dissolve, I will go for the Inverse sRGB gamma option, or you could set the gamma encoding manually - go for something in the region of 0.5 and adjust it to taste from there.

Beyond that, I'd just recommend that you experiment and see what you like the look of. Because no two sets of shots are alike, and no two people like exactly the same thing (!), you'll probably always want slightly different settings depending both on the content and the look that you personally prefer.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]