APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

feature film

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
feature film
on Nov 11, 2015 at 12:33:19 pm

Another X edit

http://www.jforkmusic.com/editing-a-feature-film-in-fcpx/

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
Re: feature film
on Nov 11, 2015 at 6:55:30 pm

I also just finished a feature cut in FCPX. While I did most of the color timing in Redline I did all final color in FCPX using Color Finale and a little Color Board. Because the mix came out so bad I also ended up remixing the entire film in 5.1 in FCPX for the Red Carpet premiere in Hollywood.

I cut the entire film in 4K native .r3d's - no proxies!

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 11, 2015 at 6:56:50 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "I cut the entire film in 4K native .r3d's - no proxies! "

What sort of hardware?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 11, 2015 at 7:27:46 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "I also just finished a feature cut in FCPX. While I did most of the color timing in Redline I did all final color in FCPX using Color Finale and a little Color Board. Because the mix came out so bad I also ended up remixing the entire film in 5.1 in FCPX for the Red Carpet premiere in Hollywood.

I cut the entire film in 4K native .r3d's - no proxies! "

We're going to need a LOT more detail about this please!

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Nov 11, 2015 at 9:26:20 pm
Last Edited By Lance Bachelder on Nov 11, 2015 at 9:27:28 pm

The entire post was done in my home studio - I used a new 6 core Mac Pro with D700's and 32GB RAM. Media was kept on 2 OWC Thunderbolt raids in RAID 0 for speed - everything backed up of course to several other drives. I used 2 27" LG monitors plus a new Sony XBR 850C 4K 65" TV fed from the MacPro's HDMI port for all color work - which came out great from X by the way. My audio set-up includes a Focusrite i/o sending to Bluesky SkyOne monitors and JBL sub. Super easy to do the 5.1 mix and even panned all the car-bys etc which sounded great in the theater at Raleigh Studios.

The show was shot on 2 Red Dragons in 4K 7:1 4096x2160. Based on the FOCUS seminar, I used Sync n Link to sync all dialog which was awesome as long as the timecode match, which we did have problems with on the 2 Red's. I had originally planned to create 4 Libraries (4 reels) to make the show more manageable but was surprised that the Mac Pro could handle the entire show as one Library no prob. I created an Event for each scene which I dragged the synced dailies into each night after shooting. I then simply used Projects for each scene and duped the projects for alternate cuts.

Once all the scenes were cut I did then create 4 reels and copied and pasted each scene into the proper reel. Then once I had the four reels done I dragged those into a new Library called FINAL - this opened and react much quicker as I now had only the media that was in the cut. Again, once the reels help solid, I pasted all 4 into a new Project with the entire show on one timeline - I wasn't sure the Mac or FCPX would be able to handle all that raw Red media and sound design but it work fine. Perhaps more RAM and a faster machine would have been better but it all turned out.

I think everything went well because we made the decision to shoot 4K 7:1 and not 5 or 6K - I'm guessing I would have had to create proxies had we gone with larger files but the 4K files were great and looked fantastic. Although I did export the final show to Resolve 12 for color timing we were not happy with what we were getting (not to mention all the crashes) and went back to Redcine to do most of the color. There were radical white balance problems between the 2 Dragons and Redcine has a great white balance tool. The other thing we discovered in Redcine was Alchemy - this was magic and instantly made our footage look like film with beautiful shadows and highlights and great clarity. Not just Alchemy of course but that was the secret sauce for sure.

I rendered out 444 XQ 4K files from Redcine and cut them over the top of the Red raw files (because Alchemy is not recognized in the metadata outside of Redcine) Once I had the entire timeline in Pro Res 444XQ I used Color Finale to fine tune some scenes and adjustment layers here and there using the Color Board for final tweaks.

Anyways, it was a great learning experience for me, I had never cut a Red raw show before and never an entire feature from scratch in FCPX. The one think that FCPX has over any other app in existence is how it handles multi channel audio. The ability of scrub and turn off unused tracks and being able to quickly isolate with law's or boom mic from the Inspector is so elegant and so "pro" it made the whole cutting process so much cleaner and easier. Also the scopes in FCPX are just so much nicer than anything else out there it really makes tweaking final color a pleasure.

Wish list? The biggest thing I'd like to see is some sort of audio bussing - a way to buss via Roles so Dialog, for instance, could have it's own final fx applied like EQ or Compression etc. Performance - I still think FCPX is a bit clunky in real-time playback and you really need to watch your RAM usage - I used the free app Memory Clean to frequently get back memory that FCPX holds on to and did have to restart X when Memory Clean wasn't enough. Red metadata - it would be nice if a few more of the controls from Redcine made it into the metadata controls inside FCPX - Resolve and Premiere both give you almost the entire toolset from Redcine while FCPX gives you minimal control. Finally, the one thing I really dig in Resolve is the ability to ignore a file extension when importing an .xml. This would be great to allow the user to override FCPX's unwavering need to find the exact file which can lead to Incompatible file warnings - I'd like to be able to point to any file and replace whatever I want.

Whew - sorry for the novel... and the typo's...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 11, 2015 at 9:57:01 pm

Thanks for posting that Lance, I'm sure you're going to be getting a few questions about it. Glad it went well for you.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 11, 2015 at 10:38:26 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Although I did export the final show to Resolve 12 for color timing we were not happy with what we were getting (not to mention all the crashes) and went back to Redcine to do most of the color"

Great info! Thanks. Regarding Resolve, do you think that's a systemic issue with Resolve or just your comfort factor with the application?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Nov 12, 2015 at 8:52:20 am

I would say a bit of both. Early versions of 12 definitely had a big problem with .r3d files and would crash constantly. Not as bad with Pro Res files. Resolve really is geared toward colorists who enjoy using curves. I've never been a big curves person, even after 20+ years in Photoshop. I was able to get much better and more filmic results in Redcine using Alchemy and Levels and barely touched curves or the color wheels.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 12, 2015 at 1:37:05 pm

"Resolve really is geared toward colorists who enjoy using curves."

Well, maybe. Resolve really has quite a few controls and a colorist can easily work in whatever style they like. Personally I'm more of a lift/gamma/gain guy, but I know plenty who do almost everything in curves. I still like Color better than the newer options and given a choice between SpeedGrade and Resolve, I like the way correction is done - and the way the result looks - better in SpeedGrade. While Resolve can give you some very surgical results that simply can't be achieved in any other similar application, I also feel that the look tends to be a bit harsh at times.

That being said, in-NLE grading is the best workflow choice, so for X users Color Finale, Hawaiki Color, Moods and Colorista give you a lot of options. Not to mention the Color Board or even homebrew color correction filters built as Motion templates that also deliver really good results. It's more a matter of personal taste and style.

Where dedicated grading tools, like Resolve and Symphony, shine is with the "assembly line" process. Saving grades, source based grades, and so on. For some folks, that's essential and for others, it isn't. I agree with your idea to use Redcine X, having done something similar on a film back in the FCP7 days. It's a great way to even out your footage and establish a basic look. Then tweak a bit more in the NLE.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Nov 12, 2015 at 7:37:27 pm

I like Resolve and obviously there are many ways to get the job done whether it's color wheels, curves, LUTs or all of the above. Creating secondaries, gradients, power windows and then tracking them is a breeze in Resolve. But the combo of Redcine and Color Finale worked really well and I did use a little SliceX to track some power windows. I also like the slider approach of Speedgrade/Lumetri especially having color temp slider which Redcine also has. Redcine has the bonus of a dedicated color picker for easy white balance that Resolve does not have.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 13, 2015 at 3:44:39 am

[Oliver Peters] "Saving grades, source based grades, and so on. For some folks, that's essential and for others, it isn't. I agree with your idea to use Redcine X, having done something similar on a film back in the FCP7 days. It's a great way to even out your footage and establish a basic look. Then tweak a bit more in the NLE."

I particularly like the way you can have both a node approach and almost a layer approach in Resolve by having grades at the clip, group and track level. So it is a bit like being able to do a match grade, followed by adding say a vignette to a group of shots or a look to a track. But then again I like a clip, track & bus approach to processing audio too so I tend to use video tracks as an organizational tool.

I find that directors are also expecting me to do some fine edit tweaks like rolling cuts to avoid tiny things like blinks or a tripod bump that wasn't picked up on the small screens in the edit. So for me the old grade then twek in the NLE is becoming more like grade online and edit tweak in Resolve, because it often doesn't go back to the NLE any more

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Nov 12, 2015 at 9:43:53 am

Lance, could you send me an e-mail so I can get in touch with you?

ronnycourtens@mac.com

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 12, 2015 at 5:26:34 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "Lance, could you send me an e-mail so I can get in touch with you?

ronnycourtens@mac.com"

Heh heh. I was JUST thinking I should suggest getting in touch with the guys from fcp.co with your story, Lance... but I guess that'd be superfluous now. ;-D

Thanks for the nice write-up!

- RK

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 12, 2015 at 5:15:28 am

Congratulations Lance.
Nothing more satisfying than getting the work done to your satisfaction and on time.
Well done.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 12, 2015 at 12:51:17 pm

Love the article :)

Glad too see others using the same workflow as I am.

Im not cutting any features with FCPX at the moment but are handling two for color and adr/master.

Since it was my RED camera and I was responsible for dailies and data, the workflow with FCPX, RCX to Resolve/Pro Tools has been helpful to the end users which are Avid/Premiere :P

Ill save the rants for another post :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]