APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

You wanted Color Wheels?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
You wanted Color Wheels?
on Feb 24, 2015 at 3:47:59 pm

Here ya go... Looks fairly, um... awesome...

http://try.colorgradingcentral.com/colorfinale/

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
Re: You wanted Color Wheels?
on Feb 24, 2015 at 4:00:12 pm

Yeah playing with it now - very much like an improved Resolve right inside FCPX yet easier and faster to use! Realtime performance is great too with no lag on playback.

I'm sold and can't wait to see how it evolves.

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Feb 24, 2015 at 4:04:30 pm

I bet this is going to make a lot of people happy.

The price is a nice surprise... almost as big a surprise as finding one of the very few remaining 67 Dodge Chargers to use in the examples... not many of those left...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Feb 24, 2015 at 4:28:28 pm

No, just want tracks! ;-)

Seriously, must say that Color Finale looks awesome and cannot wait to try it out. I am happy to see the good old fashion wheels coming back into existence. Now if they will only bring back 8 Track tapes. Not sure how to import those in to X though. :-)

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 24, 2015 at 4:32:05 pm

[David Mathis] "I am happy to see the good old fashion wheels coming back into existence."

Nice to have options. :-) The color board is probably good enough for most people. If not, you can now get your (very nicely done) wheels/LUTS/Curves and more..

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 24, 2015 at 4:52:10 pm

It looks great but it's refusing to launch on my system at the moment

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 24, 2015 at 4:52:46 pm

[Steve Connor] "It looks great but it's refusing to launch on my system at the moment"

Mavericks or Yosemite?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 24, 2015 at 4:55:42 pm

Yosemite, it installs and shows up in FCPX, but there's no "launch" button in the inspector tab

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 24, 2015 at 4:58:09 pm

[Steve Connor] "Yosemite, it installs and shows up in FCPX, but there's no "launch" button in the inspector tab"

When you drag it onto a clip? That's weird... Shoot 'em an email, maybe it's conflicting with something...

Return to posts index

Denver Riddle
on Feb 25, 2015 at 12:02:08 am

Minimum system requirements for graphics card is OpenCL v1.2

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Feb 24, 2015 at 6:17:13 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Nice to have options. :-) The color board is probably good enough for most people. If not, you can now get your (very nicely done) wheels/LUTS/Curves and more.."

Is vector based grading possible withe color board?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 24, 2015 at 6:21:01 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "Is vector based grading possible withe color board?"

The built-in Color Board? Nope. But the Color Finale Plugin does have vectors...

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Feb 24, 2015 at 6:38:34 pm

[Charlie Austin] "The built-in Color Board? Nope. But the Color Finale Plugin does have vectors..."

The Color Finale demo prompted the question. Now that I've seen it, I need it!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 24, 2015 at 6:56:04 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "The Color Finale demo prompted the question. Now that I've seen it, I need it!"

Yeah, it's pretty nice. At the risk of sounding like a shill (I'm not, I just like the plugin) there's a coupon code available at fop.co that gets you 20 bucks off if you buy it in the next week...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 25, 2015 at 2:23:46 am

I guess I figured the color board had unlimited vectors in that you can mask and soften any color you choose. Not just 6 ranges.

Does color finale have masks? Free form or otherwise? Are they trackable? Finale looks nice, but isn't it color wheels vs color board? Vectors vs a color or Luma mask secondary?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 25, 2015 at 2:45:42 am

[Bret Williams] "I guess I figured the color board had unlimited vectors in that you can mask and soften any color you choose. Not just 6 ranges."

Watch the embedded demo videos here:

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/1614-colour-correction-wheels-and-curv...

This will give you a good overview of using the vector tool in actual grading. Unlike an HSL key, you have control over 6 vectors simultaneously in each layer.

[Bret Williams] "Does color finale have masks? Free form or otherwise? Are they trackable?"

Nope. Right now no color wheel plug-in for FCP X has masks or tracking built-in.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 25, 2015 at 2:48:06 am

[Bret Williams] "Finale looks nice, but isn't it color wheels vs color board? Vectors vs a color or Luma mask secondary?"

There's also a LUT tool and curves. Neither of which are available with the color board.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 25, 2015 at 2:19:30 pm

I've seen the vids. It's ibviously better than Apple's tool. But I'm surprised it didn't have masks.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Feb 24, 2015 at 6:32:19 pm

Will someone do something like that for audio Roles Inspector? Please. Anyone?

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Feb 24, 2015 at 9:36:19 pm

How does it compare to Colorista III's color wheels inside of FCPX?

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Feb 24, 2015 at 10:10:42 pm

I like it better - much larger - more like FCP Classic 3-way meets Resolve. And I love that you can stack multiple instances of color wheels, curves. luts etc

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 24, 2015 at 10:24:31 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "I like it better - much larger - more like FCP Classic 3-way meets Resolve. And I love that you can stack multiple instances of color wheels, curves. luts etc"

It has a lot of potential, I'm impressed with the speed and the interface, license some tracking and add keyframe corrections and it'll be a must have!

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Feb 25, 2015 at 12:22:42 am

Nice. I love that it stays open and you can move from clip to clip without having to reopen. It makes for fast color correction. And the interface is nice and tidy and doesn't take over a whole screen like Magic Bullet. Most of the functions don't really work for me in Mavericks, so it looks like I'm moving to Yosemite.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 25, 2015 at 12:27:16 am

[Brett Sherman] " Most of the functions don't really work for me in Mavericks, so it looks like I'm moving to Yosemite."

I think anyone that hasn't updated to Yosemite will probably want to soon. It's quite stable at this point, and hasn't broken any old apps so far...

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 25, 2015 at 1:02:41 am

Interesting that the demo video showed a basic flaw with their vector based grading. Check the blue in the actors shirt after the hue was changed. This is no way as accurate as setting an HSL key qualifier and having nodes. Pretty blunt instrument and $99 more than Resolve lite but I am sure it is a big improvement for grading within X.

Also without shapes and tracking it is pretty basic.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 25, 2015 at 2:17:48 am

There are valid reasons for going vector over HSL. If you are talking about a key, then no, it's not that specific, however, it's much cleaner. If you compare this to Colorista III, Red Giant uses HSL for the secondaries (not the keyer) and it's basically the same, with the addition of orange. So not really a true vector tool.

Speaking of shape masks, Colorista III actually dropped theirs, relying instead on the host. That's because Premiere Pro CC now includes masking and tracking with all effects. In FCP X there's no shape mask with Colorista III. Another difference is that Colorista III's curves are s-curves, while Color Finale's are multi-point curves.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Feb 25, 2015 at 4:13:19 am

I'm there...except for the Yosemite only thing.

Return to posts index

Denver Riddle
on Feb 25, 2015 at 4:26:57 am

We'd love to support Mavericks but the drivers are the problem. We'd need to purchase several Mavericks boxes with varying graphics cards and write custom patches for each driver and debug each one individually.

In a poll conducted 73% of FCP X users are using Yosemite.

I'm not saying that we won't offer support but if we do I'll let you know!

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Feb 25, 2015 at 3:20:17 pm

Denver,

Thank you for updating us on Mavericks compability and nice to see Color Finale is available. Going to make a purchase in a couple of weeks. Keep up the excellent work and look forward to what you come out with next!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 25, 2015 at 7:17:55 am

The curves and LUTs are good but compared to Resolve where you can have clip based, track based and group based unlimited nodes, LUTs etc plus masking and tracking, stabilizing - it doesn't compare. I noted on their website that they are talking about shapes & tracking in a Pro version. I think a lot of people didn't know how to drive the old 3WayCC in Legend which had HSL qualifiers. I guess their approach is smart as it is easier to drive but of course the penalty for that is always the power that a dedicated grading system has.

I think if I were using X I would have this for making a better looking offlines if nothing else. I guess working in documentary I really need tools like Resolve as I found Color limiting sometimes.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 25, 2015 at 12:51:02 pm

I get what you are saying about Resolve, but I think it's an unfair and unrealistic comparison. Most editors, let alone FCP X editors, have no interest in using Resolve, nor have much of a clue as to how to use it once they open it up. The same was true for Color. Having a very solid grading tool that works within the NLE is still where most editors prefer to be. Then there's the issue of real time performance, which is a balancing act. That's pretty bad in Resolve when it's just the software running on a standard computer. At least in comparison with any NLE.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Feb 25, 2015 at 1:47:41 pm
Last Edited By Brett Sherman on Feb 25, 2015 at 1:57:15 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Most editors, let alone FCP X editors, have no interest in using Resolve, nor have much of a clue as to how to use it once they open it up."

Sure there are those who wouldn't have a clue as to how to use it. There are others like me, where it is just impractical, and not a good use of time, for the type of videos I make. My edits tend to take between 4 and 20 hours. Distribution is social media where my videos tend to get a thousand or so views. It simply a waste of my time to go to Resolve for improvements that would not drive more viewers to the videos. I have other things to work on.

Also, I have to worry about future accessibility. When you go to Resolve you to an extent lock-in an edit. I'm am always pilfering from previous projects. I'd lose my color corrections in those cases if I used Resolve.

This is why I like this type of plug-in. It doesn't add a lot more hours to a project but gives you more powerful tools than the color board offers.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Feb 25, 2015 at 5:14:52 pm

I completely agree Oliver. While I was was a Color user and kinda like Resolve, round-tripping is just a pain for me, I'd much rather stay in my NLE and color time as I cu, just like I like to sound design as I cut. This new tool combined with the built-in color told gives everything I need to get a great look for the shows I do - mostly indie feature films. Looking forward to seeing how it evolves, it can only get better and it's already pretty great.

BTW - was that you (Oliver) I saw in the Apprentice finale?

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 25, 2015 at 5:58:47 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "I'd much rather stay in my NLE and color time as I cu, just like I like to sound design as I cut."

It's one of the reasons people still use Avid Symphony. I like the approach Adobe took between Premiere and SpeedGrade. It's sort of a blend of the two worlds.

[Lance Bachelder] "BTW - was that you (Oliver) I saw in the Apprentice finale?"

Damn! Discovered! ;-) Yes, they shot that last year at Universal in Orlando and a local company provided the local support. R Kearns (another local editor) and I were cutting the commercial that each team was tasked with producing. Bob Zelin was also there, handling tech support, if needed.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 25, 2015 at 11:18:13 pm

[Oliver Peters] "It's one of the reasons people still use Avid Symphony. I like the approach Adobe took between Premiere and SpeedGrade. It's sort of a blend of the two worlds."

That's my feeling as well. The round tripping is a pain, but after spending so much time using Color (and now Resolve) I feel very hamstrung trying to use an in-NLE solution. Avid's Symphony approach and what Adobe is trying to do with PPro and SG are my ideal solutions. Adobe's route maybe more so because there are more (and more affordable) third party plugins that can be used inside the NLE if that's the route you want/need to go.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Feb 25, 2015 at 6:25:54 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "While I was was a Color user and kinda like Resolve, round-tripping is just a pain for me,"

Same here. I really like Resolve and what I've been able to do with it when I jump in, but man, for the most part I try to avoid round-tripping as much as possible.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Feb 25, 2015 at 6:41:41 pm

Of course if the editing gets better in Resolve- which I suspect it will, maybe even this NAB - I could get used to doing shows fully in Resolve.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Feb 25, 2015 at 7:46:31 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "which I suspect it will, maybe even this NAB"

That seems awfully soon for it to get where it needs to be. I'd give it NAB 2016.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Feb 25, 2015 at 7:57:36 pm

I just mean I expect a significant announcement at NAB - who knows how long it will take BMD to get it actually working well. In the meantime FCPX will only get better so we can't lose.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Feb 25, 2015 at 8:05:07 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "In the meantime FCPX will only get better so we can't lose."

I'm hoping for a good update around NAB time or sooner.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Feb 25, 2015 at 8:30:10 pm

Hoping for a big update to Resolve as well and eagerly awaiting for the Mac version of Fusion. Have thought about jumping over to Linux but cost prohibitive at the moment from the Resolve side of things. As much as I love editing in X, never cared for the round trip scenario. All that rendering is a pain and always wonder if things translate as they should. Until then . . .

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Feb 25, 2015 at 8:36:58 pm

Totally agree. When I got Denver's original email I was in the middle of my regular: run around producing, meet with clients, meet with team, edit projects schedule and was getting a few new spots out tho week.

I wanted to take the time to work in Resolve but the round tripping and additional steps just weren't practical or necessary for them.

I see this as a great way to enhance the self contained approach within FCPX. I love the one, floating window, curves, vector...really great as a first release.
I think it's an intelligent development for this platform.

It's the same schedule thing that keeps me from adopting it though. That, "all my systems are running perfectly, do I really want to upgrade my OS in the middle of all this?" thing.

Anyway, I don't mean that as a back handed compliment.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Feb 26, 2015 at 12:41:45 am

[Jim Giberti] "It's the same schedule thing that keeps me from adopting it though. That, "all my systems are running perfectly, do I really want to upgrade my OS in the middle of all this?" thing.
"

Take your time Jim.

I'm on the latest OS and it still crashed on me.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Feb 25, 2015 at 6:48:01 pm

Was looking forward to working with some SLog footage. As soon as I dragged the plug-in to the timeline it crashed X

Re-opend and crashed again.

I have an email into Denver.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Feb 26, 2015 at 1:01:54 am

Is it wrong for me to be more excited about the curves than the wheels?

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Feb 26, 2015 at 5:36:26 am

[Andy Neil] "Is it wrong for me to be more excited about the curves than the wheels?

Andy"

Andy, I can’t speak for everyone, but some of us cavemen may be hard-wired to prefer the fairer sex to fast cars. So no, you’re not wrong if that’s what you mean!

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Feb 26, 2015 at 10:11:36 am

[Andy Neil] "Is it wrong for me to be more excited about the curves than the wheels?"

Nope. I for one actually far prefer the board over a wheel any day by now. For me having the LUT utility and curves together in one is the far bigger deal.

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]