APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: FCP Legacy FCPX Debates Apple Final Cut Pro X FCP Tutorials

Automatch

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herb Sevush
Automatch
on Aug 12, 2014 at 6:30:27 pm

I've just tried out the new (to me) FX Factory Plug-In called Automatch, designed to expedite matching the color of two different shots, and I'm pleased to say it does just that. Simple and straight forward, using a color picker to match up to 2 sets of color tones from reference and subject shots, with enough over rides to fine tune the effect. Not a full fledged color corrector, but if you need to properly match two shots it is quite nifty and the price is definitely right - $49. I believe it was designed by Simon Ubsdell, and if true, then well done and thank you.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Automatch
on Aug 12, 2014 at 6:41:36 pm

[Herb Sevush] "it is quite nifty and the price is definitely right - $49. I believe it was designed by Simon Ubsdell, and if true, then well done and thank you."

It is nice huh? and yes, Done by Simon and friends... :-) Should be in everyone's arsenal...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

tony west
on Aug 12, 2014 at 7:01:28 pm

Thanks for the review Herb.

I saw that and wondered about it.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 13, 2014 at 6:47:24 pm

I just purchased it. I've been very happy with the other Hawaiki plugins, too.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.9.2, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCP-X 10.1.1, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Aug 12, 2014 at 7:35:55 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Aug 12, 2014 at 9:43:13 pm

Hi Herb

Thanks very much indeed for the really nice review of AutoMatch.

I can't take too much of the credit which mostly belongs to my very talented development partner at Hawaiki, Rob Mackintosh, who took care of the really tricky color science stuff.

But yes, we're really happy with how it's turned out - a lot of work but worth it, I hope.

Thanks again.

All the best,

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 12, 2014 at 8:45:01 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] " we're really happy with how it's turned out - a lot of work but worth it, I hope."

Because of all the multi-camera work I do I have been searching, for years, for a simple color matching solution. Our studio camera's are color corrected by a fine technician, and because of this the producers don't feel the need to spend for a full grading session for our shows. However our location work is often run and gun, and matching those cameras is a PITA. I'm guessing it's the second color picker that makes the difference over dedicated color grading apps, but Automatch gets me much closer, much faster. Thanks again.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 12, 2014 at 9:08:41 pm

[Herb Sevush] "I'm guessing it's the second color picker that makes the difference over dedicated color grading apps, but Automatch gets me much closer, much faster. Thanks again."

That's been the case for me as well. Cutting trailers/spots I often cut together shots, dialog and/or reactions from wildly different scenes. Automatch has made it simpler for me to "match" this type of thing quickly. (within reason of course, I tried turning night to day at one point but that wasn't happening. lol)

Also, as a simpleton, I appreciate that despite the depth of control available in the plugin, it makes it easy to get great results without going too deep if I choose not to. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 14, 2014 at 12:28:27 am

Another thumbs up here. Thanks for posting this, Herb.

I picked up Automatch today to help with grading in Ae (I'm not great at grading in Ae).

It's killer and made things a lot easier having to match foreground and background.

I was set to render out mattes and grade elsewhere, but Automatch stopped all of that.

Thanks, Simon (and Rob), for making this available.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Aug 15, 2014 at 2:51:20 pm

Nice work. I try to reduce the number of third party plug-ins I use for future-proofing issues. But I might have to pick this one up.

One thing all Color Correction plug-ins are missing for FCP X is shadow and highlight stretch/compress. You can sort of do that with S-curve, but not control shadow and highlight separately. I had done that with manual curves on FCP7 and Avid, but there is no decent curves plug-in for FCP X. I sort of made my own stretcher in motion using keys, but it's not great. I'm wondering if you might consider that with future development work. Or adding that capability.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 15, 2014 at 3:03:46 pm

Check out Hawaiki's Auto Grade. While the name implies automatic, the extensive fine controls may give you the control you need.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.9.2, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCP-X 10.1.1, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]