APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: FCP Legacy FCPX Debates Apple Final Cut Pro X FCP Tutorials

Resolve 11- More Thoughts on NLE?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Ferar
Resolve 11- More Thoughts on NLE?
on Aug 12, 2014 at 5:35:37 pm

I find it odd that there has been no posts regarding the latest release. Have the NLE bugs been ironed out? Bret Williams please report!

I'd love to kick the tires and report back but I don't have Mavericks installed on my rig which I believe is required.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
Re: Resolve 11- More Thoughts on NLE?
on Aug 12, 2014 at 5:44:11 pm

<>

Just another NLE with good and bad things. Use it when you need it, don't when you don't.
Rinse and repeat.

:-)

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 12, 2014 at 6:30:59 pm

Been playing around with Resolve 11 and just kicking the tires. Not sure I would consider using it for finishing as of yet since the OFX support is limited compared to FCP X, Motion, After Effects and others. Right now I believe that only Boris Continuum Complete 9(not released as of yet)and Genarts Sapphire are the only two ones supported at this time.

One area where Resolve does shine is in trimming, while FCP X is mediocre in that regard. Keyframing is better as well though slightly short of Motion and After Effects, which are the best.

What would make Resolve even more powerful is to bring in generators, effects and transitions that were custom built in Motion 5 which is why I would consider FCP X as a finisher in addition to a nice NLE as well despite a few drawbacks such as keyframing.

I do see Resolve as a very viable alternative to Premiere Pro CC and other tracked based editing software, and perhaps one day could steer some away from FCP X, but that is not likely anytime soon.

Those are just my thoughts, look forward to hearing from other people and their opinions.

I am an avid user of FCP X!

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Aug 12, 2014 at 9:35:43 pm

audio playback was still pretty glitchy and intermittent for me.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 12, 2014 at 10:08:00 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Aug 12, 2014 at 10:23:10 pm

[Neil Goodman] "audio playback was still pretty glitchy and intermittent for me."

I second that. Especially with large, multichannel source files. Plays fine in source window, but switch the view to waveforms and it comes to a screeching halt. The timeline functions fine initially, but gets worse as you add tracks. Great for making tweaks to a cut while grading, but not ready to be a "replacement" for a dedicated NLE yet. And the speed "ramp-up" when hitting J or L multiple times is maddening.

That said, It could be my system I guess, and I wish it worked better 'cuz I kind of like it. Except for the tracks, I can do without those. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
on Aug 12, 2014 at 10:21:33 pm

Well that pretty much sums it up then.

Headline: "Resolve's NLE Not ready for primetime yet."

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 13, 2014 at 6:05:10 am

I'd agree with all. Although my audio issues seem to be resolved since the actual release. I've only played with it an hour or so. But the lack of content, generators, transitions, tools and fx, leaves a great piece of software somewhat useless as an editing platform. For me at least. So probably great for drama, film, documentaries, television. But for corporate work where you're doing so much in the NLE you need the so much more. And to not have a connection to a mograph app like Premiere does with AE or FCPX does with Motion is a bit limiting.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 12, 2014 at 10:23:26 pm

I agree as well or as they say in the movies, "I concur." One thing that I am trying to figure out is how to create keywords in Resolve to get into FCP X. I believe the folders in the media pool (master folder) are taken in as an event in X and subfolders would be keywords?

Teacher: Please stay on track during class young man!
Student: Why should I? After all FCP X does not have any tracks.

I am an avid user of FCP X!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 13, 2014 at 12:46:35 pm

On a Windows machine you have a few more plug-ins. Anything for Vegas works in Resolve as it also uses OFX. This includes NewBlueFX. Also FilmConvert on the Mac works. Playback is glitchy. No audio plug-in support. Editing is vastly improved over R10. Works best when using two 27" screens.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]