APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: FCP Legacy FCPX Debates Apple Final Cut Pro X FCP Tutorials

FCPX crashed today

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
FCPX crashed today
on Aug 17, 2012 at 5:42:17 pm

Only the second time it has since 10.05 came out, I didn't lose any edits.

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
Re: FCPX crashed today
on Aug 18, 2012 at 6:57:54 am

Hi Steve,

just out of interest have you installed Mountain Lion?

I've had several spinning balls . . . . followed by a crash, situations over the last few days and have put it down to the size of the Event(s) i'm working with at the moment together with the fact that I have installed 10.8 recently.

Fortunately I have yet to lose any work in progress.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 18, 2012 at 11:50:26 am

Yes I'm on ML, haven't noticed much difference. Not running any particularly long projects though.

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Aug 18, 2012 at 1:21:36 pm

I originally thought it had been a seamless transition to ML but I'm starting to need to use Preference Manager and force quit from time to time.

I'm really looking forward to getting a more modern mac and will either invest in a Retina MBP or wait for the big one next year.

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Aug 18, 2012 at 11:03:17 pm

Not saying this to be snarky or to compare to X at all (which is obviously a young program) but I've just found this remarkable and wanted to note it: I've been using Edius daily since X was released and have yet to have a single crash. Currently working on a feature with over a thousand clip, a primary timeline that's over 85 minutes long, dozens of secondary timelines and every single clip has at least one layer of colour correction on it but still not a hint of a crash.

Last week I was doing the stupidiest things I could think of to try and crash it. Grabbing three layers of effects and chucking them onto 800 clips at once etc. Nothing. it just churned for about 5 seconds then happily played back the timeline in real time. It's something.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 19, 2012 at 2:22:27 am

[Dominic Deacon] "Not saying this to be snarky or to compare to X at all (which is obviously a young program) but I've just found this remarkable and wanted to note it: I've been using Edius daily since X was released and have yet to have a single crash. Currently working on a feature with over a thousand clip, a primary timeline that's over 85 minutes long, dozens of secondary timelines and every single clip has at least one layer of colour correction on it but still not a hint of a crash.

Last week I was doing the stupidiest things I could think of to try and crash it. Grabbing three layers of effects and chucking them onto 800 clips at once etc. Nothing. it just churned for about 5 seconds then happily played back the timeline in real time. It's something."

Does that come in a Mac?

;)

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Aug 19, 2012 at 2:08:49 pm

It is Win7 based, but you can run it under Boot Camp.

In my opinion, Edius is still better than FCPX at full resolution, realtime performance using all commonly used codecs and different frame rates on the time line without the need to transcode. It supports 2K, 4k, 8 and 10 bit plus RED. GV have now released free software to permit cross platform QT file support. You are able to choose either common or separate video/audio tracks and it has either single or dual viewer windows. It also supports proxy and multicam editing. It's audio functionality is a little limited, but adequate for most work that I do.

I use both FCCX and Edius 6.5 and am not biased to either platform. There are many aspect of FCPX that i like, particulrly being able to skim across clips in the event viewer.

If interested then have a look at the GV Edius forum website and check out their tutorials, perhaps even download a 30 day trial version.

Geoff

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 19, 2012 at 2:20:27 pm

[Geoff Addis] "If interested then have a look at the GV Edius forum website and check out their tutorials, perhaps even download a 30 day trial version."

Yep, I've checked it out, thanks.

I'm sticking with OSX if I can help it. I was just kidding around with my question.

Although, I'd look harder at it if it had OSX capability.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Aug 20, 2012 at 8:41:03 am

Unfortunately, Grass Valley doesn't do a great job promoting their NLE the right way. Most people consider Premiere or Avid as an alternative and even for those who think about a switch to Windows, Edius is not necessarily on their radar. Pity, because I believe it is an app that would make 70-80 per cent of the people here more than happy and would be precisely what they wanted.
If it was on OSX it might help spreading the word a bit more, but it would also loose some of it's unique abilities and advantages as it had to largely rely on Quicktime.
Last week I had to output a pretty complex 90 minute timeline from Edius (mixed formats, frame rates, filters). Rendering into a QT File (either HQX, Cineform in .mov container or DnxHD) would taken about 100 minutes. Rendering to an HQX AVI took 18 minutes. That a massive speed advantage.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Aug 20, 2012 at 8:54:14 am

Absolutely. I discover Edius last year and it's a joy to use.

"I'm sticking with OSX if I can help it. I was just kidding around with my question. "

Why bother - it's just an operating system, similar to others. It doesn't do anything better or worse, just slight;y differently to W7 or Linux. In fact, it is a very close cousin of Linux anyway.

Currently, if you want the latest fastest gear, you need a PC. That's not just some sales thing or partisanship, it's a fact. Maybe Apple will come up with some wonder machine, but they haven't. So go build a PC and add Edius, and you'll wonder why you stayed with the dead horse for so long.

B

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 20, 2012 at 12:23:18 pm

[Bernard Newnham] ""I'm sticking with OSX if I can help it. I was just kidding around with my question. "

Why bother - it's just an operating system, similar to others. It doesn't do anything better or worse, just slight;y differently to W7 or Linux. In fact, it is a very close cousin of Linux anyway.

Currently, if you want the latest fastest gear, you need a PC. That's not just some sales thing or partisanship, it's a fact. Maybe Apple will come up with some wonder machine, but they haven't. So go build a PC and add Edius, and you'll wonder why you stayed with the dead horse for so long."

I'm sorry guys. It was a joke. It sounds great, but a company move to Windows and the resulting hardware isn't going to happen soon.

We aren't a one man band.

We don't necessarily need the fastest hardware, we just need fast-ish hardware. A lot of people can point me to faster, I'm looking for better. Our MacPros are certainly getting long in the tooth, although they run fcs3 just fine.

I'm all for dumping QuickTime, but it's currently not quite an option. The web is ready with mp4, the professional video industry seems poised to be ready with MXF, but there it sits. QuickTime is still extremely ubiquitous, even though it's fairly outdated for today's modern architectures.

Everyone stills asks for .mov. Not one entity has asked for an AVI. "The future" is clearly cross platform compatibility and AVI isn't great on a Mac.

Edius sounds wonderful.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Aug 20, 2012 at 12:42:48 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I'm all for dumping QuickTime, but it's currently not quite an option. The web is ready with mp4, the professional video industry seems poised to be ready with MXF, but there it sits. QuickTime is still extremely ubiquitous, even though it's fairly outdated for today's modern architectures.

Everyone stills asks for .mov. Not one entity has asked for an AVI. "The future" is clearly cross platform compatibility and AVI isn't great on a Mac. "

Oh, I agree. Would love to see Quicktime fade away but it is and will be for quite some time the main container for delivery. Which is why you can also output to .mov from Edius; you just have to swallow the performance pill that also comes without prescription with Premiere or Avid. But if you CAN output to something else, or need to go to Tape, or encode to BD or whatever, you have a fast alternative that impressively showcases where the bottleneck of many NLEs is.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Aug 20, 2012 at 10:43:00 pm

No problem running Windows on a Mac, just use Boot Camp. No problems encountered here with this configuration running over three years.

By the way Edius 6.5 also incorporates a Loudness Meter to meet the upcoming requirement to control program loudness for broadcast use - quite handy if you're in that field.

Geoff

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Aug 22, 2012 at 2:38:13 am

I had to tip into Premiere Pro yesterday so I could access my Red Giant plug ins. I figured I' edit the whole project (a fairly basic 50 second trailer) in there but was flabbergasted by the difference in performace. When you've got used to Edius the jump back to something else is quite shocking. In the end wound up doing the editing in Edius and then just dipping into Premiere for the bare minimum time I needed to spend there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]